Upgrading: Calling NCL Directly vs. Bidding

Hi All-

My husband and I are booked on the Epic for a Med. cruise in October. We recently received the email to bid for an upgrade to a Haven suite. We are very interested in upgrading, however, this leads me to the following question: Are we more likely to get a better deal calling NCL directly and asking for an upgrade vs. bidding ourselves? From our research, we know there is no reliable way to tell what makes a successful bid. Upgrading is something we most certainly are looking to do, but we don't want to jump the gun or overpay. Being that the cruise is now less than 2 months away, do any of you have any advice on what is the best route to take to get the best price? Much thanks!

The traditional upsell number won't take calls for ships on upgrade advantage.

Other than that, you can pay the retail price difference any day. On the Breakaway last month, it was cheaper for us to pay the retail price difference to a Havens than our poor-fair upgrade bid and we got all of the Havens Free at Sea upgrade perks.

There is a reason they do it online. BIG REASON. They can not staff enough phone lines to deal with all the calls. And, they probably can get more money this way. Just let the bids determine the demand. Smart move by NCL with the new system.

As other posters have indicated, if you want to actually BUY the higher level cabin at the current price, it would be smarter to call.

We paid the going rate & upgraded our Dawn cruise in May. The additional cost was the lowest amount available on the bidding scale & we wouldn't have received the additional perks or Latitude points. I won't be doing that for our next cruise but it worked this time around.

Follow up question: Does the fact that our cruise is showing all Haven suites sold out (on the website) actually mean anything? Would they actually be offering bids if they were all actually sold out?

It actually mean's NCL is still Data Mining. :evilsmile:

Follow up question: Does the fact that our cruise is showing all Haven suites sold out (on the website) actually mean anything? Would they actually be offering bids if they were all actually sold out?

This is the same as our situation.

They are accepting bids because:

a) Somebody might cancel an existing haven cabin

b) Somebody in the haven might upgrade to GV or OS

They will take bids even if the ship is currently sold out. There are cancellations. And if you are far out, some big travel agents hold consignment rooms that are released later. We have cancelled week of cruise before.

Along the same lines, but slightly different...

I am looking at pricers that are rapidly dropping for my cruise end of September, obviously we are far past final payment and I did not receive an option to bid on an upgrade.

What is Norwegian's policy to either upgrade me for same price or give onboard credit for my same room? Has anyone been in this situation?

Thanks!!

I am looking at pricers that are rapidly dropping for my cruise end of September, obviously we are far past final payment and I did not receive an option to bid on an upgrade.

What is Norwegian's policy to either upgrade me for same price or give onboard credit for my same room? Has anyone been in this situation?

Thanks!!

Why not just give NCL a call and straight out ask what they can do for you, with prices dropping like they are? If they do give you something, consider yourself lucky. Go into the call not expecting anything; that way if it does work out in your favor, it will leave you feeling good.

Thanks!!

You probably have a pretty good chance for a free upgrade, or a cheap upsell. Especially if the price of the category above you has dropped below or close to the price you paid. We have had a free upgrade, and a couple times gotten very cheap upgrades or OBC.

Have your TA call if you have one. Or contact your PCC. If you don't have one, you'll have to call the regular reservation line and ask nicely. If the answer is no, continue to watch prices, and try again in a few days, or if you see another drop.

You probably have a pretty good chance for a free upgrade, or a cheap upsell. Especially if the price of the category above you has dropped below or close to the price you paid. We have had a free upgrade, and a couple times gotten very cheap upgrades or OBC.

Have your TA call if you have one. Or contact your PCC. If you don't have one, you'll have to call the regular reservation line and ask nicely. If the answer is no, continue to watch prices, and try again in a few days, or if you see another drop.

deleted

You can still call in and upgrade. On an upcoming cruise another room in our party called in and upgraded for less than the max bid would have been

Before you call in, check out what the CURRENT cost is for your cabin and the one you want to move to. If both have gone up, then be ready to pay $$.

But, as said above, sometimes the rates drop and actually PAYING for the upgrade is way cheaper than the bid system. Gather your facts first.