Large Family flying into ORL for 4 nights before cruise! Need advice!

mygan3

We are taking a 4 day cruise out of Port Canaveral on 1/7. We booked flights for 1/3 night time and would like to spend a few days in Florida.Our flight leaves on 1/11 at night. We have my husband and I and our 5 children ages 3-19. We are trying to figure out if it is more cost effective to rent a hotel in Orlando or Cocoa Beach for those 4 nights. Also, can we get by without renting a car. We would need a minivan I am having trouble finding one that we can pick up in Orlando and return near port. I suppose we could take two ubers as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Without you telling us what you really want to do, it's nearly impossible for anyone to give you advice. Are you looking for a hotel to sit at for 4 days? If so, you would probably prefer to be on the beach or a Disney property (is that within budget?). There is more to do in central Florida than you could ever accomplish in 4 days. But if you are simply looking for cost effective, I'm not sure what it is you are looking to do for 4 days.

We are not picky. The cruise will be the big adventure but we're weighing the options between staying on Cocoa Beach or staying in Orlando and possibly doing some activities. Main focus would be RELAX. By the pool, by the beach...wherever. We did Disney last year and I know the week we are going is usually jam packed. I'd rather not spend 2k on Disney tix. We are totally cool with just hiding out ..it is really only 3 days since we leave on the last morning for the cruise and the first night we come in late. My main concern is getting to Cocoa Beach the night of our flight and if there is a good hotel with a large enough room. Also getting from cocoa beach hotel to port canaveral.

Also adding: We are not telling the younger kiddos about the cruise. It is a "surprise". I thought it could be pretty cool to watch the boats sail out of port and then ask if they want to go on one. They will be thinking we are just hanging out in Florida for the week.

I think you answered your own question then. Stay in Cocoa Beach and relax. Call the hotel you are considering and ask if they have a shuttle to the cruise port, they most likely do. The other option would be a resort in Orlando with a great pool area if it's within budget - you can look around, there are plenty. Hard Rock at Universal is pretty cool and you can always walk around CityWalk, too. My personal suggestion? I'd stay at a resort hotel in Orlando like Hard Rock, Cabana Bay, or a Disney property - Port Orleans (which has boat to Disney Springs) and enjoy the amenities without the park like Disney Springs, Citywalk, etc. If a car is within your budget, even for a day, I'd take a day trip to the natural springs. It's about a 90 minute drive and if you have never been, it's a cool experience and since it's a State park, only a few bucks. Salt Springs has a great day use area with excellent swimming.

If you do rent a car, you could even consider one of the Disney cabins at Fort Wilderness. Just grab some basic food at the store, budget for a golf cart rental ($50/day), and enjoy the campground and Disney property.

And if you are curious why I'd rather stay in Orlando? I think the beaches in Central/North Florida are "meh", known for sharks, water isn't that clear, etc. They are just ok but nothing like South Florida. But that doesn't mean you can't find a great hotel that offers what you are looking for at Cocoa Beach, but you should compare prices, amenities at different properties between Orlando and Cocoa Beach, etc and see what is right for you.

Edited by BNBR

• 2 weeks later...

I'd suggest renting a house or condo through VRBO or AirBnB. Most rentals (not all, for sure, but many) have pools. And if the location is walkable to shops and restaurants, you may not need to rent a vehicle, just Uber between airport/house/port. We did this last year, and it was such a nice experience.