COPA airlines

srandhr

We considered COPA when we flew to Lima in 2015 but decided against it after reading some negative comments about the airline here. Have you done a search to see if there are any threads on COPA?

A quality airline. Good safety record. 737 fleet with 31 inch pitch in back and 38 inch upfront. There business class similar to major US carrier domestic first. Only major negative you will have to change planes in Panama City. My opinion take UA from LAX via Houston.

Personally I would recommend non-stop LAN (LATAM) 787-800 service LAX-LIM if you are departing on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. They also have a daily non-stop 767 flight, but the 787 has better pressurization to lower elevation which means you'll sleep more soundly.

LAN business class seat is a flat bed seat with 75" pitch and 23" width, better width than UA 767-300 21" wide business class seat, AA 767-300 20" wide business class seat, or DL 21" wide business class seat (although DL seat is longer.

LAN economy is 32" pitch vs. 31" for the US majors. All three US majors have economy plus with 35" whereas LAN does not.

Oh and LAN is non-stop, so durations of 8:20 for the non-stop vs 11:15 to 12:40 for connecting flights. LAN is overnight departing at 9:30 PM and getting in at 7:50 AM, whereas UA departs at 10 AM and arrives at 11:15 PM, AA is via MIA so about an hour longer than UA's flights but gives you two options, depart 6 AM and get in at 8:40 PM or depart at 8 AM and get in about 10:22 PM, and DL also daytime flights about a hour longer than UA departing at 9:15 AM and getting in at 11:35 PM.

I will add that there is a daytime option on the Copa flights departing at 11:20 AM and getting in a little after 1 AM. For a daytime flight there is little need for a flat bed seat, so this competes well with the US majors that do the daytime service IMO. I know that Copa's business class fares are some of the lowest to/from South America. Also, for low business class fares check out Aviance as their fares are very competitive and they have 787 overnight service from LAX to BOG and then 330 onward service to Lima. I flew Aviance last year on their 787 service from BOG to MAD and it was quite nice and very nicely priced.

I fly a fair amount internationally and typically in business class. I have flown COPA and as pointed out the downside in business class was that they do not have lie-flat seats. They only have the typical first class seats that are in U.S. domestic flights. I found that to be a major disadvantage for a long-haul flight. And the price wasn't any different. So if you are considering business class, all things being equal, I would choose an airline with lie-flat seats.

Also, as pointed out, COPA flights usually connect through Panama City. That can be a crowded and hot airport. You might be able to find a direct flight on another airline.