san pedro (cruise terminal area).....

cabinboy1945

Thanks for the advice.

We have dropped our reservation with the All Star and are looking at other options.

Currently the Queen Mary has very reasonable rates for our dates, but the reservation must be paid in full and is non refundable, so we will wait and consider our options.

Steve, you said -

I do believe Amtrak has an Express bus from Union Station to San Pedro that you can purchase with your train ticket and which may be a better choice.

When I looked into this, the only such express via Amtrak to San Pedro I could find got us in by 6pm - too late to catch the ship. We can't come in an evening prior due to our plans in San Diego, so unless I am going something wrong, this option, which sounded good, doesn't seem to be viable.

Don

Are there any decent WIne Stores close to the Doubletree in San Pedro? Coming in the day before our cruise and will not have a car but would like to bring some wine aboard.

Thanks

Best specialty wine shop in the area...Off the Vine...at 491 W. 6th...a couple of blocks from the Crowne Plaza, but the Doubletree will shuttle you there if you want.

Are there any decent WIne Stores close to the Doubletree in San Pedro? Coming in the day before our cruise and will not have a car but would like to bring some wine aboard.

Thanks

There are several places to purchase wine in San Pedro. Besides the one mentioned by Bruin Steve, there is a Von's, and a Ralph's, plus smaller locations.:)

When I looked into this, the only such express via Amtrak to San Pedro I could find got us in by 6pm - too late to catch the ship. We can't come in an evening prior due to our plans in San Diego, so unless I am going something wrong, this option, which sounded good, doesn't seem to be viable.

Don

Is there a shuttle or Amtrak bus from Union station to the cruise terminal?

I see you are from BC. If you think of California what is it that you envision doing? Once you have done that it will tell you where to stay.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's all in what your needs are. We decided to stay at the Sunrise because we won't be in San Pedro for very long--we are driving from San Jose as a second stop in a 3-legged driving trip (we live in Arizona) and will only reach SP in mid or late afternoon of the day before our embarkation. If we were staying in the port longer we would have chosen something more upscale but all we need is a place to crash for the night, a place to leave our car, and a shuttle to the ship the next day. We think we will have plenty of amenities during the next 19 days on the ship.

Well, it's all in what your needs are. We decided to stay at the Sunrise because we won't be in San Pedro for very long--we are driving from San Jose as a second stop in a 3-legged driving trip (we live in Arizona) and will only reach SP in mid or late afternoon of the day before our embarkation. If we were staying in the port longer we would have chosen something more upscale but all we need is a place to crash for the night, a place to leave our car, and a shuttle to the ship the next day. We think we will have plenty of amenities during the next 19 days on the ship.

With all due respect, allow me to explain further my appraisal of the Sunrise. Of course, I will also acknowledge that at least one poster on this thread has termed me an "elitist" and suggested I had no right to opine on a hotel if I haven't personally stayed there.

That said, let's note that we all have different standards and expectations--especially when it comes to hotels. I will also tell you that I spent the early part of my career working for that beacon of the cheap hotel industry, Motel 6, Inc....so, I do know quite a bit about hotel operations and about varying consumer standards. Some people will put up with almost anything for a cheap price...others want only the best and are willing to pay whatever it takes. Most of us are somewhere in the middle...We want a good price, but we want it to be at as nice a hotel as we can get for that price. And, yes, a lot depends on the purpose of one's visit. If you are staying at a destination resort for an extended period, you'd like a whole slew of amenities and as comfortable as possible. If getting in late and leaving first thing in the morning, you don't care about amenities--you just want a comfortable bed, a clean room and a sanitary bathroom with a shower...Motel 6 made an industry out of that concept.

However, IMHO, no matter the purpose and timing of your stay, there are some minimum standards everyone SHOULD expect--a CLEAN room, a SAFE environment, QUIET and trouble-free. Location is always important.

Years ago, one might rely on major hotel chains--knowing that there were some corporate standards in place and that there was a national or international HQ to complain to if something went wrong. Past that, and absent personal knowledge or trusted recommendation, you were on your own.

Nowadays, with the internet, you have other sources...sites like Trip Advisor or Yelp give you scores of reviews on every possible hotel. Sounds simple...but, of course, there are some quirks. Some hotel owners find ways to increase their own ratings by posting numerous good reviews for their own properties. But, also, the reviews are colored by individual expectations. A person who frequents 5-star hotels may downgrade a rating because of something inconsequential--like they didn't supply a shower cap or that the front desk took too much time to answer their call. A budget traveler may give a 1 or 2- star hotel an excellent review because the room seemed clean enough, the guy at the desk seemed nice and they didn't get robbed while staying there. Again, people's standards and expectations differ. So read the reviews and read them carefully. A hotel with an overwhelming number of excellent reviews is likely to be an excellent hotel. But read them--see what those people loved so much about the hotel. One with incredibly negative reviews is likely to be a very poor choice in which to stay...but, again, READ the reviews. If a large number of reviews deal with pest infestation, dirty linens, lack of service and response, poor old and worn mattresses, etc., then there is likely something to it. Even if a relative few reviews state they thought the room was clean, just be aware that a lot of people just don't look that close.

Now, go to Trip Advisor and Yelp and READ the reviews on the Sunrise.

To the plus side, YES, it is a convenient location...and, yes, it is relatively cheap. It is just too bad that it is not a well-kept quality hotel.

So, you are only staying one night. You are paying thousands of dollars for a nice cruise vacation. You are choosing this hotel to save maybe $50 on your one night. Relatively speaking, the money difference is minimal. At least, IMHO...

From what I saw of transit, there appears to be Silver line (route number #910) that goes pretty much from Union station to the Cruise port. We are coming in via AMTRAK from San Diego (where we are spending a few days pre-cruise) and thought we would take that bus to the Cruise Port. Is this a good plan or not?

Don't take Amtrak to Union Station. Get off in Anaheim or Fullerton and Uber over to the port (hotel).

Well, it's all in what your needs are. We decided to stay at the Sunrise because we won't be in San Pedro for very long.

I don't care how long you are in San Pedro. The Sunrise has 47 reviews on Yelp and 33 of them are 1* star reviews. Only 4 reviews are above average. I wouldn't stay there if they paid me.

I wouldn't stay in downtown LA. Other than some condos near one's work (I condo and puppy sitted for a friend while she was on her honeymoon about 27 years ago and I didn't feel safe at all when taking out the poodle for midnight poops. I don't think it's gotten safer since then)' date=' people don't live in LA.[/quote']

You don't think DownTown Los Angeles (DTLA) has gotten safer in 27 years? You don't think people live in DTLA?

DTLA is one of the hottest communities in LA right now. They can't build condo towers fast enough.They are even starting to build tony condos south of the 10 Freeway. It is also one of the hottest foodie destinations in the LA area.

The construction of Staples Center and LA Live completely shifted the landscape of DTLA. There are many great hotels in DTLA, including 5 star properties and more coming.

You don't think DownTown Los Angeles (DTLA) has gotten safer in 27 years? You don't think people live in DTLA?

DTLA is one of the hottest communities in LA right now. They can't build condo towers fast enough.They are even starting to build tony condos south of the 10 Freeway. It is also one of the hottest foodie destinations in the LA area.

The construction of Staples Center and LA Live completely shifted the landscape of DTLA. There are many great hotels in DTLA, including 5 star properties and more coming.

Scott,

You are correct that Downtown LA HAS improved over the past several years. (I have a nephew who, for the past few years, lives downtown--at the Medici--but he is now moving out--to Pasadena). They have built several upscale condo and loft projects...and the area immediately around Staples has been redeveloped to incredible lengths...

THAT SAID, I still would not recommend most cruise tourists stay in Downtown Los Angeles...here's why:

First, the redevelopment and gentrification and the placement of upscale projects is only in "pockets" of Downtown LA. Many areas are still incredibly bad. Staples is nice, but walk only a couple of blocks from there, under the 110, and you are still in run-down gang country. Fig/Flower and Bunker Hill may be improved, but head a block or two toward Broadway and you are venturing into the Third World. There is still a major homeless/transient/wino/drugs issue in the area.

So, yes, if you are headed to LA merely for an event at Staples or the Convention Center or to do business with a firm in the Financial District, staying Downtown is fine. There are some very nice hotels that will be very convenient for your purposes.

However, if your intent is to visit LA to enjoy tourist sites, to walk around and soak in the Southern California lifestyle, to have good weather, keep out of traffic...relax...and head out on a cruise, there are far many better choices: Santa Monica, Venice/Marina Del Rey, Manhattan/Redondo Beach, Universal City, Newport Beach, Beverly Hills/Westwood/Century City...even Long Beach...all far better choices. If you really want to see the sights in and near Downtown (Angel's Flight, Bradbury Building/Olvera Street, etc.), those can all be done in one afternoon on a day trip. If you are staying Downtown with a car, you'll hit loads of traffic and pay through the nose for parking. If you're there without a car, you're still not going to want to walk at night...and public transportation may not be a comfortable answer either.

For my money, I'd stay in Santa Monica--where I've got better weather, less congestion and far more in easy, safe and comfortable walking distance.

Scott, I have to agree with Steve. Los Angeles DT contains Bunker Hill, Civic Center, fashion district, industrial district, jewelry district, Little Tokyo, Old Bank District and skid row.

It has more crime than East Compton, Adams-Normandie, Lynwood, and Boyle Heights to mention just a few.

The last 6 months there were 1,041 violent crimes, and 2645 property crimes, which are commonly referred to as Part One crimes.

Edited by Husky61
Mistake in numbers

Scott,THAT SAID, I still would not recommend most cruise tourists stay in Downtown Los Angeles...here's why:

I'm not recommending DTLA for this specific traveler, just reacting to what someone (who apparently hasn't been in DTLA for 27 years) said.

THAT SAID, I would recommend DTLA to a lot of tourists who don't have cars because they can get to some major tourist sights (Disneyland, Santa Monica, Hollywood) by rail or light rail and to Long Beach by light rail.

THAT SAID, Santa Monica is almost always my first pick, followed by West Hollywood or an perhaps an Orange County beach city based on what the OP wants to see and do.

Scott, I have to agree with Steve. Los Angeles DT contains Bunker Hill, Civic Center, fashion district, industrial district, jewelry district, Little Tokyo, Old Bank District and skid row.

It has more crime than East Compton, Adams-Normandie, Lynwood, and Boyle Heights to mention just a few.

The last 6 months there were 1,041 violent crimes, and 2645 property crimes, which are commonly referred to as Part One crimes.

I am guessing you are not from LA because I've never heard a local ever refer to "East Compton", the "Old Bank District" or " Industrial district". A couple of those names refer to special improvement districts, but no local ever using the terminology and no tourists would ever wander into them.

I am guessing you are not from LA because I've never heard a local ever refer to "East Compton", the "Old Bank District" or " Industrial district". A couple of those names refer to special improvement districts, but no local ever using the terminology and no tourists would ever wander into them.

I lived in California for almost 40 years, and worked in Los Angeles for 31+ of those years.:) Yes, tourists have wandered into those areas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bank_District,_Los_Angeles

http://maps.latimes.com/neighborhoods/neighborhood/east-compton/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Rancho_Dominguez,_California

http://industrialdistrictla.com/

With all due respect, allow me to explain further my appraisal of the Sunrise. Of course, I will also acknowledge that at least one poster on this thread has termed me an "elitist" and suggested I had no right to opine on a hotel if I haven't personally stayed there.

That said, let's note that we all have different standards and expectations--especially when it comes to hotels. I will also tell you that I spent the early part of my career working for that beacon of the cheap hotel industry, Motel 6, Inc....so, I do know quite a bit about hotel operations and about varying consumer standards. Some people will put up with almost anything for a cheap price...others want only the best and are willing to pay whatever it takes. Most of us are somewhere in the middle...We want a good price, but we want it to be at as nice a hotel as we can get for that price. And, yes, a lot depends on the purpose of one's visit. If you are staying at a destination resort for an extended period, you'd like a whole slew of amenities and as comfortable as possible. If getting in late and leaving first thing in the morning, you don't care about amenities--you just want a comfortable bed, a clean room and a sanitary bathroom with a shower...Motel 6 made an industry out of that concept.

However, IMHO, no matter the purpose and timing of your stay, there are some minimum standards everyone SHOULD expect--a CLEAN room, a SAFE environment, QUIET and trouble-free. Location is always important.

Years ago, one might rely on major hotel chains--knowing that there were some corporate standards in place and that there was a national or international HQ to complain to if something went wrong. Past that, and absent personal knowledge or trusted recommendation, you were on your own.

Nowadays, with the internet, you have other sources...sites like Trip Advisor or Yelp give you scores of reviews on every possible hotel. Sounds simple...but, of course, there are some quirks. Some hotel owners find ways to increase their own ratings by posting numerous good reviews for their own properties. But, also, the reviews are colored by individual expectations. A person who frequents 5-star hotels may downgrade a rating because of something inconsequential--like they didn't supply a shower cap or that the front desk took too much time to answer their call. A budget traveler may give a 1 or 2- star hotel an excellent review because the room seemed clean enough, the guy at the desk seemed nice and they didn't get robbed while staying there. Again, people's standards and expectations differ. So read the reviews and read them carefully. A hotel with an overwhelming number of excellent reviews is likely to be an excellent hotel. But read them--see what those people loved so much about the hotel. One with incredibly negative reviews is likely to be a very poor choice in which to stay...but, again, READ the reviews. If a large number of reviews deal with pest infestation, dirty linens, lack of service and response, poor old and worn mattresses, etc., then there is likely something to it. Even if a relative few reviews state they thought the room was clean, just be aware that a lot of people just don't look that close.

To the plus side, YES, it is a convenient location...and, yes, it is relatively cheap. It is just too bad that it is not a well-kept quality hotel.

So, you are only staying one night. You are paying thousands of dollars for a nice cruise vacation. You are choosing this hotel to save maybe $50 on your one night. Relatively speaking, the money difference is minimal. At least, IMHO...

You called the Sunrise a FLEABAG.

Since you haven't stayed there, you are disparaging a place you have no basis for.

Tell the truth. It will add to your credibility.

You called the Sunrise a FLEABAG.

Since you haven't stayed there, you are disparaging a place you have no basis for.

Tell the truth. It will add to your credibility.

Are you calling me a liar? Seriously? I never said I've stayed there. I specifically said I would NOT stay there.

One CAN "disparage a place" where they haven't stayed...but based on having both driven and walked by many times...and having read countless reviews in the media and on internet sites.

IS the Sunrise a "fleabag"? Well, let's see....First, here is the dictionary definition of "fleabag":

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fleabag

Now...READ THE REVIEWS...

I seriously do not think MY credibility is in question here.

Of course, YOU are free to disregard my advice....and disregard the opinions of almost 200 Internet reviewers...and disregard the hotel's physical appearance...and go ahead and stay there. It just may be the best hotel at which you have ever stayed...in your sole opinion, of course. And you are entitled to believe your opinion on this is better than mine...because I would not stay there. Everyone is entitled to their opinions...even if dead wrong.

I lived in California for almost 40 years, and worked in Los Angeles for 31+ of those years.:) Yes, tourists have wandered into those areas.

I was born in Santa Monica 60 years, my father was born in Little Italy (now called Chinatown) 88 years ago, his mother graduated from Jefferson High in 1918 and his father from USC in 1922; my mother went to Commonwealth Elementary & Virgil Jr High, her mother was also a USC grad as is she, so yeah..... my family has been in LA and specifically the DTLA area for a very long time.

I grew up with DTLA being second nature to me from visiting my father, grandfather and grandmother in their various offices and then to attend plasy, USC games, Dodger games, etc. I've worked in DTLA myself and my company has an office that there that I use when I am not in my SF Office. I've seen DTLA go through its ups and downs and its very down part.

No, tourists do not wander from Fig over to Alameda or even San Pedro. Some might go to the Flower Mart or Fashion District deliberately, but not many.

Throwing out misleading statistics paints an unrealistic view of what DTLA is in 2017.

Not quite sure the point here since all the links say things like:

"Though the name suggests a subdistrict of the city, it is actually the name of the residential conversion project proposed by developer Tom Gilmore in 1998" about the "Old Bank District", which means the name is less than 20 years old and not a commonly used one.

And, "The L.A. Downtown Industrial District Business Improvement District (BID) was formed in 1998", so again, a name less than 20 years old that locals don't use.

Not quite sure the point here since all the links say things like:

"Though the name suggests a subdistrict of the city, it is actually the name of the residential conversion project proposed by developer Tom Gilmore in 1998" about the "Old Bank District", which means the name is less than 20 years old and not a commonly used one.

And, "The L.A. Downtown Industrial District Business Improvement District (BID) was formed in 1998", so again, a name less than 20 years old that locals don't use.

The point is that all of those are legitimate names for specific sections of the city. Usage varies, but all are used in some circles. How the names developed...or how recently...is immaterial. Other sections of the city, many in very common usage, have similar origins and similar ages. Are you familiar with these locations/neighborhoods: Playa Vista? West Hills? North Hills? Lake Balboa? Century City? Warner Center? Universal City? Several of those were specific redevelopment projects. A couple were just recent re-naming/rebranding of existing neighborhoods

East Compton, BTW, is the reverse..."Rancho Dominguez" is actually the recent rebranding...

The measure of legitimacy is not whether YOU have heard anyone use the term. I've read your "resume" of why you deem yourself an authority on LA...and I will gladly put my credentials up against yours any day. I have lived in the LA area virtually my entire life...over 60 years. Like my father before me, I attended UCLA...from where I have a degree in Cultural and Historical Geography, having an emphasis in the Geography of Los Angeles and of California. After graduating from Law School, I spent a 35 year career as in-house real estate attorney for major California-based corporations...and have likely bought, sold, leased and developed more real estate in the Greater Los Angeles area than anyone you might ever meet. I have lived and worked in all corners of the area...from Santa Barbara to Claremont to Orange County ...AND...I still live in the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area to this day.

We'll see.

By the way, you might want to drop the H from IMHO.

I have been reading this thread and I'm going to chime in. I am local to Los Angeles have stayed in that area. Book all of our hotels and we do extensive traveling across the financial board up tob up to a point! I have stayed in what I would call a dump near LAX because it was cheap.

I took the liberty of calling the Sunrise last night and spoke to a gentleman who has worked there 4 years. The rooms have not been upgraded in the time that he has been there. A few cosmetic changes around the lobby and that's it.

I checked and could not find the date you were referring to. The secret is to find a business hotel if it's a weekend and a tourist hotel if it's a weeknight as their rates will be lower. If you would care to put your date down I would be happy to do some actual checking instead of giving lots of advice. Although I am leaving Saturday for a Princess cruise out of Vancouver so it would have to be today or tomorrow. Happy to be of help. Frankly got tired of the direction that this thread went in and didn't think it was being helpful to you at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Actually in my earliest post here I did not ask for any advice or opinion on a hotel. I thought I would add an individual take on where we are staying, and why. This would have been in keeping with many other such statements in the thread, or so I thought.

Actually in my earliest post here I did not ask for any advice or opinion on a hotel. I thought I would add an individual take on where we are staying, and why. This would have been in keeping with many other such statements in the thread, or so I thought.

There was so much back and forth Etc that frankly I had lost track and if I could be helpful I would do so. If you've got it covered and it was an FYI only that's wonderful.

BTW... out of curiosity at this point, to where and when are you sailing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app