Trip insurance

Techycruiser

Are you asking about Carnival insurance or third party?

Policies vary:

Some have stipulations to cover pre existing conditions you must purchase within 14 days

Others will reduce the amount returned as you get closer to sail date.

It will be very difficult to answer your question without more details.

I know with Travelguard you have to purchase it within 2 weeks of making your deposit in order to receive the pre existing conditions waiver but you can purchase it right up until a day or so before you travel, you just won't be covered for pre existing conditions. You also wouldn't be covered if you wait too long to purchase it after a certain event has already started. For example, if you were supposed to leave on the Carnival Breeze out of Galveston tomorrow and you bought insurance today, you wouldn't be covered for the hurricane because it's a known weather event that has already begun but you would have been covered if you purchased it 2 weeks ago. If say though, you purchased insurance the day before a cruise and then you fell on the trip and broke your leg, you would be covered because a broken leg is not a pre existing condition.

Nationwide Cruise Choice allows you to buy it before or on the day of final payment if you want pre existing conditions covered. Others are usually within 14 days of initial trip deposit. Call Insure My Trip and they can help you choose the best policy. They have always been wonderful to me.

Nationwide Cruise Choice allows you to buy it before or on the day of final payment if you want pre existing conditions covered. Others are usually within 14 days of initial trip deposit. Call Insure My Trip and they can help you choose the best policy. They have always been wonderful to me.
Also available online at http://www.insuremytrip.com.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

We get ours within a couple of weeks from deposit date as they require that timeframe (usually 14 or 21 days) if you want pre-existing conditions to be covered. Keep in mind that you do not need to have a pre-existing condition when you purchase the insurance (many feel if they are healthy at time of purchase they do not need pre-existing).

If something happens after you purchase the insurance and you are treated for it and then at a later date (closer to the cruise date) you experience issues from the same medical condition or another issue directly resulting from the first (and you need to cancel), it will be considered pre-existing. Anyone can have an accident, break a bone or need some type of medical attention resulting in future issues or doctor visits.

We get ours within a couple of weeks from deposit date as they require that timeframe (usually 14 or 21 days) if you want pre-existing conditions to be covered. Keep in mind that you do not need to have a pre-existing condition when you purchase the insurance (many feel if they are healthy at time of purchase they do not need pre-existing).

If something happens after you purchase the insurance and you are treated for it and then at a later date (closer to the cruise date) you experience issues from the same medical condition or another issue directly resulting from the first (and you need to cancel), it will be considered pre-existing. Anyone can have an accident, break a bone or need some type of medical attention resulting in future issues or doctor visits.

As I've already mentioned, look into Nationwide Cruise Choice. It has to do with final payment, not deposit date.

If you are lazy like me, and just want "something" you can purchase Carnival's (The one they offer, even though it's 3rd party), up to 6 weeks in advance of departure.

Or that's what they said when I called them.

If you are lazy like me, and just want "something" you can purchase Carnival's (The one they offer, even though it's 3rd party), up to 6 weeks in advance of departure.

Except it's horrible for medical coverage and it doesn't cover pre existing conditions from what I have heard. Don't be lazy. Do a little bit of work, get a real plan, and more than likely save yourself some money in the process.

We where scheduled to cruise on the Liberty when it was cancelled for propulsion problems. Carnival didn't cancel the cruise until the evening beforehand, even though all week before they kept sending alerts that the cruise was leaving as scheduled.

We had traveled to the Houston area and just got to our hotel when the cancellation alerts came through. Carnival did us right. Refunded our $ and credit us same amount for future cruise.

Drove home next day and made a claim on the insurance for the travel expenses and the insurance through Carnival wouldn't pay a dime.

Sent from my Honor 8 on Forums mobile app.

I am sure there are tons of posts on this but I am too lazy to look for them, so I am hoping I can get a quick answer. How soon prior to sailing can I purchase travel insurance?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All depends on the on the insurance Company and the policy itself.

My best advice is to buy as soon as you book or pay your deposit.

NEVER travel with out insurance if you can bot afford a travel insurance you should not travel. An accident or sudden illness can cost your life or your total assets.

We never travel without insurance. A short stay in an ER abroad can get up thousands of dollars.

Have a nice and safe trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All depends on the on the insurance Company and the policy itself.

My best advice is to buy as soon as you book or pay your deposit.

NEVER travel with out insurance if you can bot afford a travel insurance you should not travel. An accident or sudden illness can cost your life or your total assets.

We never travel without insurance. A short stay in an ER abroad can get up thousands of dollars.

Have a nice and safe trip.

You don't need travel insurance. In fact buying travel insurance is a poor buy.

Medical Insurance of some kind on the other hand is beneficial when traveling.

Unfortunately people tend to not research the difference and overpay by buying a bundle with both travel and medical

Insurance.

OP, you've already received good answers to your question. I would just stress a few points:

It's true that medical and travel insurance are often bundled, and this is what we have usually purchased. I haven't seen plans that offer only medical without some travel component built in. I use insuremytrip.com as others have already recommended. Maybe if you google it, you could find medical insurance only.

And medical is the big concern. Look, if you have a travel disruption, or your suitcase is lost, or any of the other travel contingencies that the insurance covers, it probably won't bankrupt you. But a medical emergency certainly CAN bankrupt you. And if it is a serious problem and you need to have a medical evacuation back to the US, it can cost many tens of thousands of dollars.

We have never bought the insurance offered by the cruise line, but we always buy insurance if travelling outside the US. For our cruise next summer, we were able to purchase insurance for less than half the cost of Carnival's insurance, and it has much higher coverage limits. The insurance offered by cruise lines, including Carnival and others, is inadequate in my opinion. The coverage limits are far too low. And it costs more.

There may be benefits to choosing the cruise line's insurance, but I don't know what they are. I go for the higher coverage and lower price offered by other insurance companies. YMMV

I was absolutely sold on the value of trip insurance when my father in law suffered a heart attack in Morocco some years ago. Ever since, we have never left the country without insurance.

Happy travels to you, and hoping you never need the insurance!

I can't recommend insuremytrip.com highly enough. They've become THE go-to site for comparing travel insurance policies and for good reason: it's easy to compare plans and shop around for the policies that meet your needs. VERY highly recommended.

I was absolutely sold on the value of trip insurance when my father in law suffered a heart attack in Morocco some years ago. Ever since, we have never left the country without insurance.

This and many other things that can happen to anyone when traveling...have had a family member break her wrist on vaca (she is in her 40's), a friend (36) slipped and fell on deck of cruise ship (yes flip flops) and injured her leg (fractured in 3 places) and needed to go to emergency room in Nassau for more extensive xrays (many of the islands will require upfront payment or no treatment) and thank goodness she had medical/travel insurance that paid upfront charges as a primary form of payment, friend's daughter (16) fell in San Juan walking on the uneven sidewalks and twisted her ankle severely and they took her to hospital, have witnessed several accidents on cruise ships that resulted in medical bills and one medical evacuation over the years...

Then there was the extreme situation where my father in law (in late 60's) had an accident where he slipped on a wet floor in a public place and hit his head while we were all (whole extended family) on beach vaca together in another state back a few years ago and ended up passing away in the hospital (we had to get the whole family and his remains back to home state via planes, changing flights from original tickets and making arrangements to transport remains etc.), a very traumatic and very expensive event that you do not even want to think about and this was in the USA (can you imagine from outside the country???) ...accidents and sickness do not care or know you are on vacation when they happen, they just happen....

A lot of people don't realize that their standard medical insurance will not cover expenses outside US, and medical evacuation. We have always used the Carnival insurance, but after upcoming cruise in October we will be going independent due to the better coverages and pricing available. I think the Nationwide options were best.

Yep. That's where I get it from. And when I have questions they are always very knowledgeable.

Hello my go to CC member if getting insurance for a Caribbean cruise would it be USA for country if one is a Canadian? I go to the website you mention and I'm not sure which country I would select as I'm doing the Western Caribbean

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

Hello my go to CC member if getting insurance for a Caribbean cruise would it be USA for country if one is a Canadian? I go to the website you mention and I'm not sure which country I would select as I'm doing the Western Caribbean

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

Hello! Yes I put USA as well because it starts in the US (I'm guessing the one you are going on does anyway). You can always call them to ask but that is what they told me to do when I had that question before too.