Sun Princess vs. Majestic Princess for New Zealand

Kenswing

We're considering a 14 day New Zealand cruise in 2019. We have a choice of either the Sun or Majestic. We've never sailed on either a Sun class or a Royal class ship.

I realize that the Sun Princess is pretty old and the Majestic is brand spanking new, but I was just wondering if there is any reason or advantage to going with the Sun over the Majestic for a New Zealand itinerary?

If you are a 'suite' passenger, then, if you go for Sun, take a mid ship mini-suite. Layout similar to midship full suites on other ships and avoids the significant movement at the back of the ship in Tasman Sea.

If you are also Elite, then given there is no Sabatini's suite breakfast (served in cabin on Sun), no advantage in taking a suite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just booked So Pacific and New Zealand in fall 2018 on Majestic. The Fjordland National Park is included. Have not sailed on the Sun, however, sailed Majestic in May before she went to China. She is a beautiful ship. No contest for me. Had DB on Caribe. She is very large, so if you want a smaller ship you might prefer Sun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are a 'suite' passenger, then, if you go for Sun, take a mid ship mini-suite. Layout similar to midship full suites on other ships and avoids the significant movement at the back of the ship in Tasman Sea.

If you are also Elite, then given there is no Sabatini's suite breakfast (served in cabin on Sun), no advantage in taking a suite.

Thanks for the replies everyone..

We often get suites but looking at the deck plans for the Sun I noticed that the Mini's look huge. Thanks for confirming that.

I'm eager to try a Royal class ship but I think we're leaning toward the Sun. 2,000 passengers vs. 3,600 just seems to appeal to us more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the Dawn 14 day Sydney and New Zealand in a Mini Suite in March.

The mini suites have a separate shower and jacuzzi tub and layout like a full suite with 2 sliding glass doors to the balcony.

We had a similar choice for our Sydney-Fiji cruise for next year. Our options were a 14 day on the Sun, or a 12 day on the Majestic. I was leaning towards the shorter cruise on the Majestic as we'd recently sailed on the Royal and absolutely loved that class of ship, but some research showed that the Majestic was skewed towards more gambling and higher end shopping and less in the way of "watering holes" led us to go the longer Sun route.

We had a similar choice for our Sydney-Fiji cruise for next year. Our options were a 14 day on the Sun, or a 12 day on the Majestic. I was leaning towards the shorter cruise on the Majestic as we'd recently sailed on the Royal and absolutely loved that class of ship, but some research showed that the Majestic was skewed towards more gambling and higher end shopping and less in the way of "watering holes" led us to go the longer Sun route.

much prefer royal class ships, gambling and high end shopping be interesting if they change anything before she comes down don't think any of that appeals to aussie/kiwi's, on royal princess i spent most of the time in beeline's, the crown grill bar, or up by the skywalk bar.

We don't drink or gamble, so we booked two suites on the Majestic for New Zealand and the South Pacific. Am excited to be on a new ship for a change, only negative are the shallow balconies on the Royal class ships. Am interested to see what the Concierge Lounge has though.

We don't drink or gamble, so we booked two suites on the Majestic for New Zealand and the South Pacific. Am excited to be on a new ship for a change, only negative are the shallow balconies on the Royal class ships. Am interested to see what the Concierge Lounge has though.
By this time tomorrow we will probably be joining your roll call. The wife wants to try one of the new ships.. :D

Just booked So Pacific and New Zealand in fall 2018 on Majestic. The Fjordland National Park is included. Have not sailed on the Sun, however, sailed Majestic in May before she went to China. She is a beautiful ship. No contest for me. Had DB on Caribe. She is very large, so if you want a smaller ship you might prefer Sun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just booked the Majestic for NZ/Australia cruise tour for October 2018. I am glad that you liked the Majestic. Do you have any suggestions or comments about the ship. I was apprehensive after reading the reviews of the inaugural cruises on the Majestic but the ports are what I wanted along with the tour option.

Thanks for any help you can give me.