Which Southern Caribbean Route is best?

ECD23889

We are planning to book a Southern Caribbean cruise on the AOS and noted two different routes: Both depart from San Juan, but one includes Aruba, St. Maarten and St. Thomas, with the other one including St. John, St. Lucia and Antigua.

Has anyone taken both routes and which one did you prefer? Or if you've only taken one of them, could you share your experiences? Do you have any activities/tours/excursions to recommend?

And lastly, did any of the Southern destinations suffered much hurricane damage which would effect our decision to visit?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

we did the Barbados. St. Thomas, Antigua and St. Lucia route with one sea day. I have not done the Aruba route but would do it again because we really enjoyed St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

In St. Thomas we did a shopping/island tour/ beach with Godfrey, came with recommendations on the ports of call board. Antigua we did an island tour/beach, St.Maarten we went shopping, St. Lucia and Barbados we went to the beach as I have visited those islands on land vacations many times.

I don't think any of the ports suffered hurricane damage, those islands are pretty far south especially Aruba, Curacao and Barbados.

The big difference between the two routes is one day at sea vs two. The one sea day we had we tried to do everything, but that was impossible. If you think a port intensive itineary will be too much, choose the one with two sea days.

Have fun!!

Your choice depends on what islands you like and what your ideal day on a cruise would be. St. Thomas and St. Maarten draw the most visitors in the E. Caribbean and have the best shopping. St. Martin (French side) has the best beach scene. Not to mention 747 dive bombing at Maho.;)

Thanks so much for the responses. You've given me a lot to think about. My initial thought was to lean toward the cruise with only 1 day at sea, since we'd get to visit more places. However, we really enjoy all the activities we get to do on the ship and would probably feel we couldn't fit everything in. Our last cruise on NOS was wonderful, but we went on so many excursions we never got to take advantage or try some of the things we had originally looked forward to.

My youngest daughter, 16, just read your answers with me and said she wanted to take the cruise with the most days at sea. And I thought it would be just the opposite. Mom is always the last to know...

Thanks again.

We have done both...just one on the Adventure and the other the Serenade. Both are good, you can't go wrong. We really love Curacao and Barbados. St Thomas is wonderful for taking the ferry to St John and going to Cinammon Beach....also did the BOBs once. Aruba is okay...don't get me wrong, we do like it, it's just that we were there MANY years ago for a week before it became so commercialized. That is how we preferred it. Both Aruba and Curacao we rented cars and saw much of both islands...National Parks on both, beaches, etc. St Martin...not one of our favorites...shopping and beaches both times. This time we are taking the ferry to St Barts. Barbados we did the turtle, snorkle, beach tour and had time for a taxi tour...BEAUTIFUL. Antigua ... taxi tour and beach, St Lucia...shopping and Pirates of the Caribbean. This time we are kayaking in Antigua and St Lucia the zip line.

Either way, you will make a good choice. Your 16 year old will have a great time on and off the ship.

On our very first cruise, we opted for one with only one sea day because we were convinced we would get the most bang for our buck. Since then we have come to appreciate the days at sea and find the port a day itineraries much too busy. In fact our favorite cruises have been transatlantics with at least five sea days.

Frankly we enjoy the islands that either of these cruises visits and, in fact, this year we did a cruise out of Boston that visited San Juan and St. Maarten. Next year we will sail out of Boston to San Juan, St. Thomas, Aruba and Curaçao. All of those ports offer a myriad of places to visit and things to do. This year instead of spending the day in St. Maarten, we took the high-speed ferry to St. Barts. It was extremely rough on the way over but smooth and comfortable on the way back. The staff onboard the ferry were very attentive to those who felt the slightest bit queasy because of the high seas going over. St. Barts is beautiful but very expensive (beach chair rentals were $27) In spite of the rough journey over, though, we enjoyed the opportunity to add a new island to our list.:)

I also wrestled with this question before our cruise on Serenade which only does the St. Lucia/Barbados/Antiqua route. I thought it might be too port intensive as I do like sea days, but it turned out to not be the case and we enjoyed the cruise very much. Each island has something unique to offer. I mostly chose it because we had already dailed Explorer and Mariner and I wanted to experience a different type ship. Adventure would have been like the other two. I have no regrets about the decision.

On the way back to San Juan you pass so many islands that much of our time was spent on deck and you can see much of what is going on from inside the ship as there is so much glass on Serenade. A LOT would be missed spending time on Adventure's Royal Promenade during the last sea day. Although, I'm not sure if Adventure is even doing that route now. Last year she was alternating between the two routes.

Adventure would be a great ship to have the two sea days on as there is so much to do on a Voyager class ship. The one thing I really dislike about Adventure's Aruba route is that the sea days fall on the first and fourth days. I really like having the last day be at sea. It gives you time to relax before having to make the trec home from San Juan.

Either way, both ships are great and I think that either route would be also.

St. Lucia has a zip Line? Please give me any info you have - thanks.

From what I have read....the zip line is new. My daighter and I neither one remember it being offered last year. I just booked it, today, for our Christmas cruise. Go to the excursions under the Serenade at St Lucia for more info. It does state a minimum of 9 platforms. Also on the port board for St Lucia there has been some talk about it. I think it sounds awesome and will report back after we get home.

negc...Thanks for you review of the St Barts trip. We have it paid for also. Sounds like the trip over will not be too fun, but beautiful once we get there. Can you comment as to which beach you went to and cost to get to it? Thanks.

On our very first cruise, we opted for one with only one sea day because we were convinced we would get the most bang for our buck. Since then we have come to appreciate the days at sea and find the port a day itineraries much too busy. In fact our favorite cruises have been transatlantics with at least five sea days.

Frankly we enjoy the islands that either of these cruises visits and, in fact, this year we did a cruise out of Boston that visited San Juan and St. Maarten. Next year we will sail out of Boston to San Juan, St. Thomas, Aruba and Curaçao. All of those ports offer a myriad of places to visit and things to do. This year instead of spending the day in St. Maarten, we took the high-speed ferry to St. Barts. It was extremely rough on the way over but smooth and comfortable on the way back. The staff onboard the ferry were very attentive to those who felt the slightest bit queasy because of the high seas going over. St. Barts is beautiful but very expensive (beach chair rentals were $27) In spite of the rough journey over, though, we enjoyed the opportunity to add a new island to our list.:)

negc, If you don't mind me asking, what ship are you doing out of Boston to San Juan, Aruba, Curaco?? Sounds like a very tempting itinerary!

negc...Thanks for you review of the St Barts trip. We have it paid for also. Sounds like the trip over will not be too fun, but beautiful once we get there. Can you comment as to which beach you went to and cost to get to it? Thanks.

We- there were six of us - took a tour of the island and I believe it cost $10 a person (plus tip). Near the end of the tour, the driver dropped us off at St. Jean beach and came back at an agreed upon time to pick us up and bring us back to Gustavia. One thing to note was that changing facilities were not available at the beach (People who went to Shell Beach which is within walking distance of Gustavia reported the same thing, so you might want to wear your suits underneath your clothing).:)

negc, If you don't mind me asking, what ship are you doing out of Boston to San Juan, Aruba, Curaco?? Sounds like a very tempting itinerary!

PhoenixCruiser is right. The Jewel of the Seas repositioning cruise out of Boston which begins on Halloween (October 31) and goes to Bermuda, San Juan, St. Thomas, Aruba, and Curaçao before returning to Ft. Lauderdale to open its season in the Caribbean. It is pretty close to being sold out, so if you know a travel agent who still has space, check it out.

We did the Jewel repositioning cruise in 2004 and absolutely loved it. This year we did the cruise just before that one and had a tremendous time as well. Jewel is definitely one of our favorite ships.

We- there were six of us - took a tour of the island and I believe it cost $10 a person (plus tip). Near the end of the tour, the driver dropped us off at St. Jean beach and came back at an agreed upon time to pick us up and bring us back to Gustavia. One thing to note was that changing facilities were not available at the beach (People who went to Shell Beach which is within walking distance of Gustavia reported the same thing, so you might want to wear your suits underneath your clothing).:)

Thanks for the info. We love the beach and definitely want to spend some time at one along with some sightseeing.

Wow, just checked out some pricing. I don't think I'm gonna be able to get 4 people on that one.

It started out very reasonable, in fact cheaper than our 7 day cruise on the Navigator (same class, different time of year, which will make a difference). However since it is almost sold out, the prices have skyrocketed, sorry :(

###

I also wrestled with this question before our cruise on Serenade which only does the St. Lucia/Barbados/Antiqua route. I thought it might be too port intensive as I do like sea days, but it turned out to not be the case and we enjoyed the cruise very much. Each island has something unique to offer. I mostly chose it because we had already dailed Explorer and Mariner and I wanted to experience a different type ship. Adventure would have been like the other two. I have no regrets about the decision.

On the way back to San Juan you pass so many islands that much of our time was spent on deck and you can see much of what is going on from inside the ship as there is so much glass on Serenade. A LOT would be missed spending time on Adventure's Royal Promenade during the last sea day. Although, I'm not sure if Adventure is even doing that route now. Last year she was alternating between the two routes.

quote]

I recently booked the Serenade for 4/06 after weeks of trying to decide between this and AOS's less port intensive itinerary....have done two Explorer cruises previous and really wanted to try a Radiance class. Lately, I've been wondering if I would have preferred more than just the one sea day and/or if I'm up for five ports of call. I love the point you make about being able to see so much more of the scenery from the windows of the Serenade...that's one of the things about this class of ship I was looking forward to. And also realize that while I can't wait to see St. Martin again, I can always pass on St. Thomas if so inclined. Can't wait to see St. Lucia and Barbados!

Just reading your post made me feel better about my decision...thanks!

Okay, one more question...from my daughter. On the way over to St Barts, when the water was rough, were people actually getting sick? The trip was her idea, BUT she can't stand the idea of anyone 'losing it' around her. My view on it...we just try to sit in the front and we see nothing that happens behind of us. :rolleyes: Thanks again.

My husband and I have done a Southern Caribbean cruise that goes to Dominica, Barbados, Aruba and St. Thomas and we really enjoyed it. If I could give my opinion though I would definately not pass up Aruba or Barbados if at all possible. Those were two of the most beautiful ports I've ever been to and I've been to quite a few, plus you can go to St. Thomas on like an Eastern Caribbean cruise (seems like almost every cruise goes there). That is just my opinion though for what it is worth.

We have an 11-night Southern Caribbean cruise planned on Empress of the Seas for February 2007 and we can't wait. It goes almost everywhere in the Southern Caribbean, it leaves out of San Juan and goes to St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados, Margarita Island Venezuela, Curacao, and Aruba. We are really looking forward to it. We have been to the Eastern Caribbean, Western Caribbean and Southern Caribbean and out of the three our favorite is the Southern Caribbean.

In our various ports of call we have done many different excursions, I will recount a few (to the ports you mentioned) just to give you an idea:

St. Thomas - I have been there like 5 times so I have done many different things but the best that I've ever done was like an island tour that takes you (via open air trolley/truck) all around the island with several photo stops and then to Magans Bay where you have a couple of hours to relax in the sun and sand, then onto Blackbeard's Castle which was really interesting even if you aren't into the whole pirate thing, and then you can either catch a tram down to town or take the famous 99 steps (which is actually like 105 steps, they've added more as the years have passed) and you end up in town where you are free to shop until you drop. This was the best tour in my opinion because you get to see a little bit of everything, that way if you decide to re-visit St. Thomas you will know what you like to do.

St. Maarten - We snorkeled when we went there the first time and then we did a tour of both sides of the island (it was in like a Greyhound bus) both tours were okay, but neither was just spectacular. St. Maarten is a beautiful country (well countries since it is divided between French and Dutch) I've only been there twice. The snorkeling was good, of course the water there is crystal clear (but so is everywhere else in the Caribbean LOL) and it was neat to see the different sides of the island. I'm not sure if I was worn out when we did the island tour or if it was the rocking of the bus but I couldn't keep my eyes open LOL. I ended up sleeping thru part of the tour.

Aruba - This is by far both my husband and my most favorite island, it is clean (you don't see trash anywhere and it doesn't smell like some ports do sometimes) the people are super friendly, there is good shopping, good shore excursions, beautiful beaches etc..... We have done two different shore excursions in Aruba, one was like an island explorer tour (done on a bus) and then we did a snuba tour (for those of you who don't know snuba is like half snorkeling, half scuba diving, you can dive to 20 feet but not have to have the cumbersome packs on your back and you don't have to be scuba certified) The island tour was amazing, Aruba is by far one of the most diverse places I've ever been to, you can be on one side of the island and there are cliffs with pounding waves and rock formations and then on the other side of the island the waters are just as calm and the beaches just as white as can be. It is really odd how a stretch of land like 7 miles long can be so different. The snuba was one of the best experiences I've had as well. Everything is so quiet underwater, it is like a different world.

St. John - We have only visited this port on a day trip when the ship has been docked at St. Thomas but it was a lot like St. Thomas except quieter, we didn't do a shore excursion there, just did our own sightseeing thing.

I hope this helps you in your quest for the cruise! LOL

:) :) :)

Archived