Wine by the glass - speciality restaurants

Prez88

We are sailing on Ovation of the Seas in November.

First time cruises on RCI and are considering the drinks and dining packages. We were wondering about the wine by the glass in the speciality restaurants. What sort of choices are available?

They'll usually have a pretty decent selection by the glass. If you have the drink package, anything above and beyond the limit ($12/$13 depending on ship) you'll be charged the difference + 18%. I've noticed more and more wines creeping up in price, but they still should have a few in each variety that would be covered.

DH and I had the drink package on both Independence and Anthem. We dined at specialty restaurants most nights. DH drinks most kinds of red wine and he was very happy with the options available by the glass.

I only drink chardonnay and there was always one available. I've found the drink package to be excellent value. We have always found drinks within the price limit.

Thanks for your responses. A few years ago now we cruised aboard Grand Princess and really enjoyed our pre dinner visits to Vines Wine Bar. The selections of wines by the glass was extensive and enjoyable. However when we moved onto the dining rooms (speciality or main dining room) the selection was far more limited. My wife and I will certainly purchase the drinks and dining combo package on our forthcoming cruise. I have found it convenient and another bonus is that I find myself trying new drinks that I may not otherwise do.

Thanks for your responses. A few years ago now we cruised aboard Grand Princess and really enjoyed our pre dinner visits to Vines Wine Bar. The selections of wines by the glass was extensive and enjoyable. However when we moved onto the dining rooms (speciality or main dining room) the selection was far more limited. My wife and I will certainly purchase the drinks and dining combo package on our forthcoming cruise. I have found it convenient and another bonus is that I find myself trying new drinks that I may not otherwise do.

You're also welcome to bring a glass from another bar to the restaurant. You can also bring 2 bottles on board per stateroom. Open it in the room and carry a glass to the restaurant. If you bring the bottle to the restaurant they will charge a corkage fee.

You also will receive 40% off any bottle of wine under $100 or 20% on bottles over $100.

Also check out Vintages - they have wines by the glass not offered elsewhere on the ship. Most are over the $13 limit but there are some good values for an extra dollar or two per glass.

We eat most of our meals in specialty restaurants, wine by glass selection is normally good, we also get drink package, most of the wine we order is above the 12/13 dollar limit , so if limit is 13 and we like a 17 dollar you just pay the 4 dollars and tip on that for dollars. Also like previous post on Vintage, if you want something a little different you can go there get a glass of something like caymus and bring that into restaurant with you