Another Oceanic question

Oceanic's second iteration was Star/Ship Oceanic with Premier Cruise Lines. Premier was owned by Dial Corp at that time, but not Disney. Premier was "The Official Cruise Line of Walt Disney World" at this time. It was a contractural, and product marketing agreement. Although PCL was held to strict guidelines dictated by Disney, they were seperate companies bound in contract only. The Disney characters that sailed aboard the PCL ships were, in fact Disney employees from the Orlando parks who rotated on the ships in 2 week (4 cruise) intervals along with a Disney Coordinator / advisor.

Eventually Disney decided to get into the cruise industry directly, Premier's contract was not renewed. Premier maintained awhile afterwards with Warner Brother's Looney Tunes themed cruising. But the new large ships simply were more than Premier could compete with in style, economy and reputation. Premier became part of a 'new' Premier after merging with Dolphin Cruises and Seawind, but the company could not maintain the older ships, product integrity or compete in the various markets they attempted.

At the time Oceanic was aquired by PCL (1986), she was the biggest, most impressive thing sailing the short Bahamas Cruise market. Premier was a wonderful product at this point. Premier was energetic, quality and value and mostly, a family draw cruise line. The seeds of PCL are visable in almost ever mass market cruise line today. The Big Red Boat concept came later, obviously to acknowledge PCLs infamous red hulled ships. I personally, was annoyed that Oceanic was not recognized by here true name, but the market PCL catered to was typically very casual and not necessarily sophisticated. Subsequently the PCL product declined, ultimately failing with the ships seized by financial leinholders.

When I see shots of Oceanic under her current Pullmantur life, I smile to see the script style 'OCEANIC' on the hull, crown and all, a la PCL. Oceanic's hull is is amazing condition and should have many years of life provided appropriate SOLAS guidelines are met. Her interiors have been remodeled fairly extensively, but a few icons of her Home Lines conception remain.

Oceanic's hull is is amazing condition and should have many years of life provided appropriate SOLAS guidelines are met.

Last April, the captain assured us the ship could and would sail for another ten years.

• 6 months later...

I had a dream come true today...at a small auction not far from my house, I purchaced my first ship model. It is the of the Oceanic...I am a mariner who has always looked at these items in "the office" and wished that someday I might have one...alas, I know little about the Oceanic (I spent much of my time on tankers, breakbulk and containerships). Anything, anyone can share with me about the Oceanic or my purchace would be appreciated. The plates call her the "Ship of Tomorrow"...An item like this belongs on display somewhere other than my livingroom

Archived