Review: Anthem Aug 17-26/2017 (Bermuda, Caribbean)

svyas

Family of 3. We were on Deck 11 Aft. Excellent room. No external noise. Weather was excellent all nine days. Just a passing shower on day 9.

Ship was completely booked. Tons of children. Ship is awesome and kept clean. Elevators are hit or miss. I am not sure if someone brilliant programmed them. Most of the time we took stairs to burn of calories.

Shows watched:

The Gift

We will rock you

Spectra's Cabaret

Las Vegas Tenors

Family Comedy show

Day 1: Sail Away

We live 45 drive away from Bayonne. Left home around 8:45AM. I had reserved a parking spot with "Parkway Parking" for $137.00 for 9 days. This facility is 5 minute drive away from port. They have shuttle which was very prompt. We were on port by 9:45AM. Check-in took about 10 minutes. I had completed all pre-requisites online from home. We were told to wait in the hall until they opened gangway to the ship at around 11:00AM.

First thing we did was to check on which restaurants they had assigned to us for BOGO dining for night 1 and 2. We changed first night to Wonderland from Chops. Second night was Jaime's. Next we went to Box office in two70 to reserve spot for us for Escape room. Then we did bumper cars and Northstar. No lines on Day 1 for both. While we were on Northstar I noticed there were 2 lanes of cars about 1/2 mile long still waiting to drop passengers.

Then we went to Windjammer for lunch. Not many people had boarded so far so Windjammer was almost empty. The rooms were ready by the time we completed lunch. Went to the room and to our surprise our bags were waiting for us outside the room. After meeting our room attendant and arraigning our stuff in closets we head out for leisurely stroll of the ship. We brought 3 large suitcases which fit right under the bed. Plus plenty of closet/drawer space available.Ship promptly departed at 4:00PM. We went on top deck (#15) for the sail away. Awesome views of NJ/NY harbor and Manhattan. Ship crossing under Verazzano bridge not to be missed. Traffic on the bridge slows down just to notice the ship passing under them.

Day 2: Cruising

Day was ours to do whatever we wanted. Had breakfast in Windjammer and spent entire day in Solarium. Went for lunch in Windjammer. Dinner was awesome in Jaime's.

Day 3: Bermuda

We had decided to split our day at Horshoe Bay and Snorkle Park. So got off the ship as soon as they opened gangway. I brought a collapsable insulated grocery bag with me which I had filled with few beer and water bottles.

Took the shuttle ($7 one way/pp) to Horseshoe Bay. Rented an umbrella for $15 for the day. Bring folding beach mat(s) (which we did) with you so you don't have to rent beach loungers.We fell in love with the beach and spent entire day there and never went to Snorkel Park and the surrounding shops. Do take your Snorkel gear to Horseshoe bay. Swim towards the rocks on your right. Plenty of colorful fish in all size and shapes.

Day 4: Cruising

As soon as we departed Bermuda, we hit swelled Atlantic which made entire day 4 rocking.Pools and Northstar were closed because of this. Belly Flop competition cancelled as well. Cascading pools in Solarium were open and fun to sit in them while the ship was rocking.

Day 5: St. Maarten

We didn't do any excursion as this was third time we were there so just took the ferry to the beach. Walked along the shops on Front Street. Then spent entire afternoon the beach watching Solar eclipse. Royal provided complementary eclipse viewing glasses to everyone night before in the room. TIP: Buy Alcohol and Cigarettes from the duty free shop which is on left as soon as you get off the ferry. Their prices are better than all other duty free shops on Front St.

Again I had filled my cooler with few beer and water bottles for St Maarten beach escape.

Day 6: San Juan

Again didn't do any excursion. Just walked old city and did window shopping. It was brutal hot about 90 that day. Enjoyed shaved ice there.

Day 7: Labadee

First went to Dargon Coaster for which I had pre-purchased the tickets. Then went to Nellie's beach and spent entire afternoon there. Had nice BBQ lunch. TIP: For Vegetarians, ask for Veggie Burger. They have it and will grill it for you.

I didn't ask for freshly grilled Chicken but I am sure they must have it as well.

Day 8 and 9: Cruising

Did the Escape room on day 8. Group finished just 2 minutes more than last best finish time. TIP: There's Coke machine in Escape room.

Did investigative game on day 9 on two70. They split all attending in groups of 6-8 people. They give clues to find the suspect in 45 minutes. Our group finished second just few seconds later than first group who submitted correct answer.

Also did Bumper cars again on Day 9.

Day 10: Departure

We chose self carry. We were off the ship at 9:00AM after breakfast in Windjammer. Deluxe drink package works until you exit the ship. The shuttle was waiting for us as soon we came off the ship. Were home by 10AM.

Tips:

Board early

Visit Crepe station in Windjammer. All the way in the back. Try Mango and Whipped cream crepe. It was awesome. My tastebuds are having orgasm as I write this review and think about it.

Best bartender is in two70. Just ask him what you want and not sure then he will conconate something good for you.

Go early in Solarium as all loungers get occupied quickly.They are very strict in restricting kids under 16 from entering Solarium.

Read Cruise Compass and messages on room TV everyday. Download Royal IQ app. It's a must. CC is in your hands all the time.

Go all the way back in Windjammer. You will definitely find a table. They have some tables on the shaded deck as well.

Definitely do Ripcord iFly and Northstar. We did Northstar twice. Once on port in Bayonne and once at see on day 8.

Do you research before you go on a cruise if its your first time. We heard many people wondering what's included in price and what's not.

Awesome info! How were you able to take beers off the ship? I thought they always open before handing to you?

I never thought you could take beer off of the ship - this is good news for us with the drink package and Bermuda. Did they check your cooler when you got off the ship ?

I never thought you could take beer off of the ship - this is good news for us with the drink package and Bermuda. Did they check your cooler when you got off the ship ?

No one checks any beach bags or any other soft cloth bags including the one i had (its like a grocery bag but there's silver inner linning inside) getting off. They do put all bags in scanner when you get back.

I'm curious... did you have Northstar reservations already when you did it on day one?

We have reservations on day 6 of our cruise... does that prevent us from doing it on day one like you did?

Our flight arrives EWR at 6am so I'm sure we'll be one of the first on the ship....;-)

Edited by LarryHD2

I'm curious... did you have Northstar reservations already when you did it on day one?

We have reservations on day 6 of our cruise... does that prevent us from doing it on day one like you did?

Our flight arrives EWR at 6am so I'm sure we'll be one of the first on the ship....;-)

For Day 1 we didn't had reservation. We went there and attendant said if people who have reserved don't show up then we would get a chance in their place. And we did as some didn't show up.

We did had reservation for a later day though.

So go and take a chance on day one or any other day. You may have to wait little bit more but 99% you will get in as people miss their reserved time.

There's bar right there so have a drink and enjoy the view of sea and pool if you have to wait a little.

Wonderful tips! I was wondering if I'd be able to request Wonderland for the BOGO nights 1 and 2. I have reserved lunch at Chops early in the process, and when I saw the BOGO offer, I took that as well. What did you order in Jamie's? So glad you had good stuff to say about Windjammer. Wasn't sure I wanted to try it at all, but the Mango crepes sound delicious.

Wonderful tips! I was wondering if I'd be able to request Wonderland for the BOGO nights 1 and 2. I have reserved lunch at Chops early in the process, and when I saw the BOGO offer, I took that as well. What did you order in Jamie's? So glad you had good stuff to say about Windjammer. Wasn't sure I wanted to try it at all, but the Mango crepes sound delicious.

If you visit Wonderland as soon as you board you should be able to get reservation for either night 1 or 2. Just be little flexible with the time.

At Jamie's we went with the server's reccomendation. First one was Veggie plank, their infamous garlic bread, plate of different marinated olives. Myself and DD had chicken. Sorry forgot specific name of that dish. It was grilled chicken with sauce on the side. DW is vegetarian so they brought pasta for her in some veggie sauce which was very savory. And finally finished with Tiramisu. They have Italian beer their which none of the bars have. The beer was good.

We have been on Adventurer, Allure and now Anthem. Our best experience with WJ was with Anthem. Their entire menu has changed. We had chocolate fondue on two nights in WJ which we never saw in adventurer and allure. Each night in WJ is different theme night and you will know which theme is that night from a playcard placed on table during breakfast or lunch.

We also did MDR few nights. It was excellent as well.

If you visit Wonderland as soon as you board you should be able to get reservation for either night 1 or 2. Just be little flexible with the time.

At Jamie's we went with the server's reccomendation. First one was Veggie plank, their infamous garlic bread, plate of different marinated olives. Myself and DD had chicken. Sorry forgot specific name of that dish. It was grilled chicken with sauce on the side. DW is vegetarian so they brought pasta for her in some veggie sauce which was very savory. And finally finished with Tiramisu. They have Italian beer their which none of the bars have. The beer was good.

We have been on Adventurer, Allure and now Anthem. Our best experience with WJ was with Anthem. Their entire menu has changed. We had chocolate fondue on two nights in WJ which we never saw in adventurer and allure. Each night in WJ is different theme night and you will know which theme is that night from a playcard placed on table during breakfast or lunch.

We also did MDR few nights. It was excellent as well.

Sounds great! Thanks for replying.

Are crepes available every day at breakfast in WJ?

How cool is the indoor temps in the public areas and in the main showrooms? Doing the Bahamas run at the end of October early November. Will a sweater be warm enough?

Thanks!

MARAPRINCE

Yes, the crepes station is whole section on its own so it might be also available for lunch and dinner as well

The temps in public places including shows were comfortable about 68.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Yes, the crepes station is whole section on its own so it might be also available for lunch and dinner as well

The temps in public places including shows were comfortable about 68.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Yum, Yum, Yum!!!! You just made my cousin very, very, very happy!!!:D

Glad to hear that we will not be freezing while attending the shows!

Thanks.

MARAPRINCE

Are crepes available every day at breakfast in WJ?

How cool is the indoor temps in the public areas and in the main showrooms? Doing the Bahamas run at the end of October early November. Will a sweater be warm enough?

Thanks!

MARAPRINCE

I would definitely bring a sweater as some places on the ship are cooler than others.