Minor Guest Policy

chris4189

so what does the statement mean?

It means she is legally an adult as far as the Department of Homeland Security is concerned. Her parents can't sign any papers giving anyone else jurisdiction over an adult child. She is on her own.

It is Carnival's policy as far as who needs to travel with persons under 21. Homeland Security has ZERO do do with that.

Again, no letter.

maybe I am missing something and for that I apologize.

did the OP ask about the homeland security rules or the carnival rule?

did I say it was the homeland security rule or just the carnival rule?

I never mentioned the homeland security rule and I dont think the OP did either. if they did, I apologize

its carnival's rule and they need the letter according to carnivals rule unless I am reading it wrong

maybe I am missing something and for that I apologize.

did the OP ask about the homeland security rules or the carnival rule?

did I say it was the homeland security rule or just the carnival rule?

I never mentioned the homeland security rule and I dont think the OP did either. if they did, I apologize

its carnival's rule and they need the letter according to carnivals rule unless I am reading it wrong

The letter is only a requirement of Homeland Security per your copy and paste. Carnival requires the 19 and 20 year old to be cross referenced with someone 25 or older also in your post. What letter exactly are you insisting they have if not for the one the Department of Homeland Security requests? Parents cannot, once again, give permission to anyone else to have custody over an adult child (unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances). So what letter should they have the parents sign? The 19 year old is an adult and is no longer the ward of her parents anymore than someone 30 or 60 years of age.

so what you are saying if I understand is that carnival has this rule. its clearly stated but they are 100% wrong and everyone should disregard that rule as it is stated.

if you are saying that... thats ok but Carnival is saying that MUST travel with a parent or guardian and if you are being her guardian (not a relative) you need to provide proof.

I will agree that with what you said, Homeland security does not need it and they will not be asked it. but carnival still states that this is the rule

so what you are saying if I understand is that carnival has this rule. its clearly stated but they are 100% wrong and everyone should disregard that rule as it is stated.

if you are saying that... thats ok but Carnival is saying that MUST travel with a parent or guardian and if you are being her guardian (not a relative) you need to provide proof.

I will agree that with what you said, Homeland security does not need it and they will not be asked it. but carnival still states that this is the rule

You're confusing the two. The letter is for Homeland Security. The cross reference is Carnival's policy for booking which is already taken care of.

The only documentation Carnival would need as far as booking for someone under 21 to travel without someone 25 or older is if they were an exception such as stated below which you left out of your post and is not relevant to this case.

Exceptions: Guests under the age of 21 may travel without a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older under the following conditions:

For both exceptions below, bookings should be carefully documented.

Documentation should be e-mailed prior to the cruise to DL-ResAdmin_Sailing_Coord@carnival.com or hand-carried to embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.

Legally married couples, including same gender couples

Proper documentation must be submitted.

Documentation includes: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application or certificate signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

Qualified Military Personnel

Applies to US Military Personnel and Canadian National Defense personnel (and their traveling companions in the same stateroom) of 18 – 20 years of age.

Copy of proof of service must be submitted.

I guess I will agree to disagree about what carnival is saying. This will be my last post on the topic because Im sure Im already beating a dead horse and I respect you to much too keep going back and forth. we are allowed to agree to disagree

MINOR GUEST POLICY

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

• The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.

Breaking this down as I see it

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own

I read this as no one under 21 can book a cruise on their own. I think we both agree on this

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

I read this as anyone wanting to go on a cruise under 21 needs a parent or guardian to go on the cruise

• The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.

I read this as the person going with the 'under 21' needs to be the guardian but doesnt have to be a parent or legal guardian

Having said that... how does one prove that they are the 'guardian'? just say they are? is that enough? Why have this rule if there is no way to know who is the guardian. if the under 21 pays someone online to say they are the guardian, is that enough? I just think that if someone is saying they are the guardian, they need to have permission to be the guardian.

I get that homeland security says over 18 doesnt need any of this but carnival says no one under 21 can cruise alone and the person that they are cruising with HAS to be there guardian. Is it any human they are traveling with over 21 is automatically their guardian?

As I said... I respect you too much and dont want this to keep going because I dont want this to look confrontational (I really dont).

Have a great weekend!!!

I will also end my conversation on this as well. Yes, anyone can be someone's "guardian". And as you pointed out they don't have to be a "legal" guardian. Which if they did, then there would need to be at the minimum a notarized letter stating so. Since it's not required, then yes, if someone wanted to go on the internet and find someone who is old enough to fill that role, then as long as their bookings are linked together, then that's all that's required. There is no need to prove anything further.

Guardian is a term used loosely in this case by Carnival as someone to claim responsibility for the person under their booking age requirement.

A parent of a 19 year old cannot give permission to anyone to be their child's "guardian" because they legally have no right to (again barring extreme extenuating circumstances). Therefore, there is no letter that will be required or valid in this case. The 19 year old is free to cruise without parental consent and is good to go as long as the boyfriend's parents' reservation is cross referenced in the booking allowing the 20 and 19 year olds the ability to board the ship. Carnival does not request nor require other documentation in this circumstance.

Gosh this thread got nasty! I just want to chime in on my experience (no comment on any comments). Took my 18 yo son on a cruise. We have different last names. He stayed in a cabin by himself. He has his own passport. Did not experience any issues. Just FYI 19 is an adult in Alabama. Been through the courts with this one so I am quite sure.