Hurricane Irma

pearose

We are scheduled to sail on the Freedom on October 14th. We are supposed to go to Freeport and Nassau Bahamas, and Key West. Obviously Irma will be long gone by then, but my question is, as of right now it looks highly likely she could go right over the Bahamas and FL. If those places have a lot of damage would they change our itinerary or would we still go to the same ports, damage or not as long as they deemed them safe to dock at? I don't really care where we go, just curious as to what Carnival would do in a case like that?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are scheduled to sail on the Freedom on October 14th. We are supposed to go to Freeport and Nassau Bahamas, and Key West. Obviously Irma will be long gone by then, but my question is, as of right now it looks highly likely she could go right over the Bahamas and FL. If those places have a lot of damage would they change our itinerary or would we still go to the same ports, damage or not as long as they deemed them safe to dock at? I don't really care where we go, just curious as to what Carnival would do in a case like that?

Why not wait till you board instead of all the speculation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If the islands are wrecked, you’d be diverted. Carnival wouldn’t still call on Nassau and Freeport if they’re badly damaged.

If the port itself can still accommodate and basic island infrastructure is still in place, expect to still go.

We docked in Freeport last year not that long after it took a direct hit from Hurricane Matthew. In fact I believe we were only the second ship call once the port re-opened. We saw quite a bit of damage. We had a private guide fro the day who showed us a lot of damaged homes and businesses and some that were completely wiped out. Very eye-opening.

Since the Caribbean Islands have much experience with tropical storms and hurricanes, some of the wealthier ones lcan bounce back better than some American mainland areas. St Thomas and Nassau in particular have stringent building codes that mitigate a storm's worse impact.

A poorer country like Dominica had much of its infrastructure damaged by a tropical storm with 18" of rain a few years back and it took them about a year to fully recover. Cruise ships stopped calling on Dominica for a few months until the island was deemed ready for tourists.