Dive Ops used on Princess

AgVball

Sorry - this has probably been posted before - but I can't get search to work.

I was just wondering what Dive Ops are used by Princess (Grand Princess) at Cayman, Cozumel and Costa Maya.

I think someone wrote in another post that Blue Ha is used at Costa Maya? I think we are just going to snorkel and hang at the beach - but I was just curious who they used.

Cozumel - is that Sand Dollars? - we are going to try Scuba w/ Alison - but I was just curious on this one too.

Cayman - ? - we are booked w/ the ship. I tried a couple of places Bruce-r had recommended, but I guess w/ the Ship's time - they don't want to deal w/ GP.

Belize - I used them last year - can't remember their name off hand - it was better than we expected - we had a good time. We're book on the ship again - I assume its the same people.

I checked last week because we will be on the Grand in Feb. I didn't check who the op is in Belize because we are going to do the Canopy Tour there and because of the time there, the ship excursion is probably the safest route.

Mahahual - Dreamtime

Grand Cayman- West Wall dive - Don Fosters

Stingray City - Resort Sports....info @ Spanish Bay Resort website.

North Wall & Stingray Combo - Resort Sports

Cozumel - Dive House

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

I was just wondering what Dive Ops are used by Princess (Grand Princess) at Cayman, Cozumel and Costa Maya.

I think someone wrote in another post that Blue Ha is used at Costa Maya? I think we are just going to snorkel and hang at the beach - but I was just curious who they used.

Blue Ha has changed their name to Dreamtime Diving They provide ship's excursion diving, but I don't know which cruiselines they are contracted with. The ship's dives prices are outrageous, $155 from others' reports.

Cozumel - is that Sand Dollars? - we are going to try Scuba w/ Alison - but I was just curious on this one too.
From all I've read about Alison, you are making a good choice.

Cayman - ? - we are booked w/ the ship. I tried a couple of places Bruce-r had recommended, but I guess w/ the Ship's time - they don't want to deal w/ GP.
Grand Princess is in port at a bad time for morning dive boat trips. Perhaps a shore dive instead?

When I called the New Waves rep, I just explained that we liked to research the dive operators we used and they were more than happy to ive out the info.

I have been in contact with Dreamtime for the last month and they do contract with Princess and committ all their resources to them when in Port( this means you can't book independently with them). At first I had a very hard time accepting the cost of the ships excursion($149), but after reading various articles on their operation, philosophies and education in the region, I decided I wanted to support their facility. There is a very good article in the current Sport Diver mag. Heck, if $50 is going to break me, I shouldn't be going on a cruise! Also, all your dive equipment is included in the price if you don't want to haul yours around.

One thing I find interesting, is that Princess charges $149 in Belize & Mahahual, but only $99 in Grand Cayman & Cozumel. I just wish we were in Belize longer so we could do the Canopy Tour and a dive.

Mike

One thing I find interesting, is that Princess charges $149 in Belize & Mahahual, but only $99 in Grand Cayman & Cozumel. I just wish we were in Belize longer so we could do the Canopy Tour and a dive.

My guess is the travelling time involved.

I am going to Star Dec 18 and have booked the last spot available at St. Lucia. The cost is $149 with about one hour boat ride to and from the diving site, plus a lunch. I looked around the local operators posted by people on this board - the charges are very similar. With the tight schedule the ship in port and the diving site is far away, I opt to go with the ship so there is no worry of missing the boat. I also booked the review course that is held the morning of the first Sea Day. I got the review booklet from PADI today. Really need to go back to my old book to study a bit first before I would read this review course book (the first section is a Quizz !)

Bruce - Thanks for informing me New Waves offer review course !

That is one other thing I found out....gas is apparently an issue in Mahahual being as remote as it still is. I've heard that many ops can't go to Chinchorro Banks on a regular basis because of it. Dive sites in Belize are a good ways away also and boats are not very fuel efficient.

Have a good time on your cruise & enjoy your review course.....I know when I did a refresher in Maui a few years back, it was surprising all that I had forgotten or ignored.

Mike

http://www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

On our 2003 cruise on Carnival Legend, we took a 45 minutes long "water taxi" which was an open air dingy with outboard, to Caye Chaulker. From there there are dive operators take you to the coral reef 20 minutes boat ride from the Caye.

But if you want to go to Ambergris Caye, you need to take a small plane or a very long boat ride. Not a good choice for people from cruiseship.

Archived