ATM/Debit Card For On-board Account

livingis2me

We are sailing out of Miami on the Devina. What happen's when you use your Visa Checkcard debit card for you on-board spending account? Do they place a big hold all at once? Or do they charge it as you go? If they put a hold, does anyone know how much? And do they use the held portion to pay off the charges or do they just charge the correct amount at the end and release the held amount eventually?

Should I use cash instead? If so does anyone know how much that I'd need to put down?

We have 2 staterooms, one with 2 people, one with 3.

I do not have a credit card with enough credit available to put down as my source of on-board payment.

I have not found clear answers to these questions anywhere...

Thank you,

Ron

They will put a hold on for fixed amount. The amount can vary from $50USD per day ($350 for a 7 day) to a flat $1000 . Keep in mind that holds might not clear bank until a fixed number of days after the cruise.

Thank you.

Do they use the amount held to counter the amount that we spend on-board? or do they run a separate transaction to satisfy those charges?

And does anyone know what the cash deposit would be as opposed to using a debit card?

Thank you.

Do they use the amount held to counter the amount that we spend on-board? or do they run a separate transaction to satisfy those charges?

And does anyone know what the cash deposit would be as opposed to using a debit card?

When get to that amount they will take another hold for a certain amount. Have you considered buying Onboard Credit for what you expect to spend. This credit is refundable if not all used. I try and buy credit equivalent to about $50 per day.

They will use the amount of the holds to pay for your onboard expenses. However, there is a caveat. Say at the end of the cruise you are close to what they have authorized and they authorize another $100. If you only end up spending $10 of that, you will have to wait in line at Guest Services the morning you debark to get your $90 back because the $100 will eventually go through. Very weird system but then again it's MSC.

Also, in case you missed it here somewhere, make sure to let your bank know there will be charges coming from France so they don't shut down your debit card. All onboard expenses are charged through MSC's bank in Paris.

Hope this helps.

Bret

When get to that amount they will take another hold for a certain amount. Have you considered buying Onboard Credit for what you expect to spend. This credit is refundable if not all used. I try and buy credit equivalent to about $50 per day.

If I do buy the OBC will any other form of payment be required? I will have about $350 to pay in gratuities, other than that maybe another $200. We have 12 drink vouchers each so I can't imagine a huge bar bill. So if I buy $550 in OBC will I need to give them some cash to activate our on-board card?

Thanks

Ron

They will use the amount of the holds to pay for your onboard expenses. However, there is a caveat. Say at the end of the cruise you are close to what they have authorized and they authorize another $100. If you only end up spending $10 of that, you will have to wait in line at Guest Services the morning you debark to get your $90 back because the $100 will eventually go through. Very weird system but then again it's MSC.

Also, in case you missed it here somewhere, make sure to let your bank know there will be charges coming from France so they don't shut down your debit card. All onboard expenses are charged through MSC's bank in Paris.

Hope this helps.

Bret

Thanks for the reply.

Same thing if I use cash anyway, right? I'd have to wait in line for my change... I wish they'd do it like NCL and just send a check in the mail.

As far as the French bank, I did get that info. I'd already gone on-line with my bank and let them know the islands I'd be visiting, but I did not say anything about the French bank. I guess I should call and explain that unusual situation

Well I usually put cash down for many reasons on other cruises i been on (not MSC) it also allows me not to spend too much and I usually put way less than they ask me too. ON PURPOSE. I know if after gratuities I only have 50 bucks to spend I usually dont ;)

and I never had a problem when I say I am only putting enough for gratuities and a small amount more. They sometimes look at me funny but I dont care they cant say no What are they gonna do? If I spend that 50 I just add another 50 yes I have to go back to the desk and yes it is a pain but knowing this makes me not wanna spend it so I get out very cheap on a cruise :D Rather spend tons in ports and stuff anyway

Sometimes making things difficult for yourself is best when trying not to spend too much which is easy to do when your not sure how much is going in and out of your account.

On this msc cruise I am getting the 100 dollar onboard credit and that is it. Prepaying the gratuities. I bought lots of things extra, extra drink vouchers, 3 specialty dinners etc etc so if they say I need more i will do as i always do and say no, that I have already purchased all i will want or need .

Edited by timelordjason

I was told that using my debit card they would automatically take the amount of cash out that I want to put on my account. Then if I needed more I could go back down and add more cash through the customer service desk. I am not using my regular debit card as I have a vacation account and the money will be taken out of there. But this makes me think I should recheck with MSC before I leave.

We just came off the Divina and used a debit card. The first day we put $200 on the account using the self serve kiosk and we were told we could add more as we needed throughout the cruise. The minimum it lets you add is $100 though. We added another hundred a few days in because we were running low. On our last day we got our bill with $80 still outstanding (those drinks add up quick), rather then adding another $100 and getting a refund we just went down to the desk and paid the balance with our debit card. If you go at off times the wait is minimal.

We did call our bank ahead of time to let them know we might have charges from France. Depending on your bank you may get charged an exchange fee, we unfortunately did.

MSC must be different from other cruise lines. Many will put a hold on your debit or ATM card at the start. Then automatically add more as required.

There have been many horror stories in these forums of people using debit cards on board. Then having issues when they get and try to use it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the replies. I feel a lot better knowing that they aren't going to put a big hold on my account. I'll have them run $500 to begin with. That'll cover gratuities and a couple of little extras. Then I can put more down as needed.

So, would they allow me to go a little over the amount that I've put down? One reply said there was a balance of $80 owed and they squared up at guest services.

Thanks

Ron

So, would they allow me to go a little over the amount that I've put down? One reply said there was a balance of $80 owed and they squared up at guest services.

Yes we were allowed to charge more to our room then what we had previously deposited on our account with our debit card, they left us a bill on the last night and we paid it off at guest services. We never had a hold put on our bank account.

Yes we were allowed to charge more to our room then what we had previously deposited on our account with our debit card, they left us a bill on the last night and we paid it off at guest services. We never had a hold put on our bank account.

Thank you!

Ron