The pool w/swim up bar (right at pier) questions...

OliverTheCat

Is there any charge for using the pool with swim up bar? We are trying to plan our day accordingly.

What all is there in that area? Just a pool and bar, or more things to do and see, like food, shops, etc.? Also, how much are the yard drinks there at the swim up bar?

Thanks!!!

If you stay at the area with the swim up pool (the port) you will spend much more per drink and on items in the shop than if you took a taxi to Mahahual. The beach at Mahahual is superb, water is calm, and prices are very reasonable. I highly recommend it.

Yes, we loved the beach at Majahual. We went to the restaurant...El Faro....they have green chairs outside. It was excellent...the food was superb and the drinks were great. We stayed about 4 hrs. and spent $48 for the 4 of us. Great prices. The water was excellent...very calm as the last poster said and very clear. The massages are great too.....$20 for 40 minutes and well worth every penny and more. The Drinking Donkey on the way to the beach had excellent food too...the drinks were just OK. By the way the beach is only a 5 min. cab ride...we took the golf carts; about 15 min. tops.

Do you think that Majahual is walking distance? I would like to get a bit of exercise if possible! I get the impression that it is not that far, so we wouldn't mind walking if it's possible (terrain, traffic and all that). We have no problem with distance walking. Any info would be much appreciated!!

Do you think that Majahual is walking distance? I would like to get a bit of exercise if possible! I get the impression that it is not that far, so we wouldn't mind walking if it's possible (terrain, traffic and all that). We have no problem with distance walking. Any info would be much appreciated!!
I've read of walking times between 20 and 40 minutes. I think most people would be closer to 40 than 20 minutes. I think there is a path along the water. Take into account heat and humidity before decided to walk. Take a bottle of water with you and be sure to wear your sunscreen. Don't forget, even if you walked there, you can always take a taxi back.

Thanks so much for the info. I'm from Houston, so the "hot" walking thing will not be such a problem from us. One thing I can say is that I have certainly done a 20-40 minute walk when it's hot and humid!! Perhaps we will give that a try, as I'm sure we will be on a calorie overload (at least that's what I'm planning!!). Thanks again....

I pretty much echo what the other posters stated. We were there on 12/6 on the Victory. Lunch at a beach restrauant in Mahahual with3 beers, 4 cokes, lobster, shrimp and guacamole with nachos ran us only $48. Friendly service.--one thing though--avoid the guys who do tatoos for the kids on the beach--(easier said than done though)..the tat's lasted only a few days. The said stay out of the water for 20 minutes. Well even after lomnger than that, the ink ran off my sons arm while swimming.. I think the 20 minutes was just so the guy had a head start away from us on the beach--lol

The water was calm, and not deep whatso-ever. Granted, I wouldv'e prefered my original stop of Paradise Beach in Coz, but I am glad I got to see Costa Maya, and can only imagine the growth it will have within the next 5 to 7 years.

Happy sails,

Mike

A bit of curiosity here.

We're talking a 40 minute "stroll"?

Is there beer on the way or should I bring my own?

Can the girls shop while we're strolling?

Is the 40 mins. from the pier, or is it after you get into town.

I assume we are talking about walking to Majahal.

Thanx for the answers in advance.

A bit of curiosity here.

We're talking a 40 minute "stroll"?

Is there beer on the way or should I bring my own?

Can the girls shop while we're strolling?

Is the 40 mins. from the pier, or is it after you get into town.

I assume we are talking about walking to Majahal.

Thanx for the answers in advance.

You're not going to have anything to do on the stroll other than stroll. Not a stroll I would want to take. There is security at the Port where you have to show your cruise card to get in. Only locals that can get in are the employees. Along the way there was a little tiki hut just outside of Mahahual with armed soldiers on guard that stared down all of the cars going by. Also not sure about walking down the beach, lots of private property along the way.

Archived