Dawn Cabin question

BeachMusic

:cool: Holding an AC suite forward on the Dawn, 4/16/06. Was told by travel agent that under no circumstances should I stay in the bow as there will be too much motion. She suggested an AD or even AE on decks 10, 9, or 8, located aft on the ship. Any of you expierienced cruisers out there have advice for me? I originally chose the AC suite because I thought it would be unbelievable to stand on the bow gazing forward. (Guess it's a Kate Winslet kind of thing). Anyway, any advice on the location and/or the merits of the various suites would be appreciated. BTW: my daughter has car sickness but has never cruised, I love the motion of the ocean so my concern is for her.

We were in an AC suite on our last cruise (10/30 Dawn). The first and last days we could not use the balcony as it was WAY too windy. The Dawn is a very large, stable ship, and we weren't bothered at all by motion. We loved this suite, and would book it again in a heartbeat, mostly due to the size of our balcony, but if you're at all worried about motion, and can snag one of the aft AD or AE suites, I'd say go for it! The balconies are MUCH smaller, but the view is incredible! And the cabin itself, at least on the AD, was almost identical to our AC.

We aren't bothered by motion, generally, having cruised twice in October on the Majesty, so it really wasn't an issue for us, plus we got a GREAT upsell to that AC from our BA.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise! You will love the Dawn!:D

:cool: Holding an AC suite forward on the Dawn, 4/16/06. Was told by travel agent that under no circumstances should I stay in the bow as there will be too much motion. She suggested an AD or even AE on decks 10, 9, or 8, located aft on the ship. Any of you expierienced cruisers out there have advice for me? I originally chose the AC suite because I thought it would be unbelievable to stand on the bow gazing forward. (Guess it's a Kate Winslet kind of thing). Anyway, any advice on the location and/or the merits of the various suites would be appreciated. BTW: my daughter has car sickness but has never cruised, I love the motion of the ocean so my concern is for her.

We LOVE the forward deck. You can certainly enjoy your deck while sailing out of NY and into NY... (and into/out of any other ports) ship is no where near full speed.

I imagine seas are calm in April (never sailed in April) but, if it does get rough, I recommend you lay down if it is evening...during the day when we hit rough seas, we head downstairs/mid-ship...much calmer.

We purchase seasick meds/bracelets to bring with us. Save your receipts and return them when you get home if you don't use them.

We've read great reviews of the AD's...I just like to see where I'm going rather than where I've been.

All a matter of choice. Have a wonderful cruise:)

You will love the Dawn.

My DH and I were in an AC on deck 10 last April. We have booked the same cabin for our upcoming cruise in April. We loved it!:D

I, too, am prone to motion sickness but Bonine worked wonderfully even in extremely rough seas. We used our balcony most days and can honestly say we were not bothered by the wind. You are right, it is unbelievable standing out there as you enter and leave your ports of call.

As Cosmopolitan said, you will love the Dawn, no matter which cabin you choose.

Have a great cruise:)

We were in an AC suite on the Dawn in September and we loved it! We were in 9002. I loved being able to go out on the balcony and "see what the captain sees". We used the balcony every day with no problem and slept with the door open every night but one. If you choose the AC you will have to decide if you want a bigger room or a bigger balcony. Deck 9 has smaller cabins but bigger balconies and Deck 10 has bigger cabins but smaller balconies.

We've been in the same forward suite on the Dawn twice and never had a motion problem. The first time was in December and the last time was this past October. It was a bit cold on the forward deck in December coming and going from NY, but we were still able to use it once we were in a warmer climate. We brought patches with us just in case, but never had to use them. We both love being in the front and having that view coming into the islands. I think I would like the aft also.

Hi Charlie!!!

Jackie:cool:

Thanks to all who reassured and/or let me know an AD cabin would be suitable as well. Will probably base on price at this point and will feel lucky to be anywhere on the ship by the end of this winter! Thanks again. Angel, the pictures you posted were which cabin?

Thanks to all who reassured and/or let me know an AD cabin would be suitable as well. Will probably base on price at this point and will feel lucky to be anywhere on the ship by the end of this winter! Thanks again. Angel, the pictures you posted were which cabin?

Hi Beach,

We were in 9506 both times. I hope you have a great time and that you love whatever cabin you choose. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Hi BM,

When I first read your post, my first instinct was to suggest an aft cabin, for your daughter's sake.

I was in #9506 (Owner's Suite -- forward on port side) in June, 2005.

I purposely booked an aft cabin for upcoming January cruise.

Reason: I'd rather try the aft cabin while cruising in the Atlantic in January.:eek: We had a smooth trip in June BUT when the seas were just a bit rough, you could feel (and hear) the hull of the ship hit the water after a wave. This is NOT good for anyone who is sensitive to motion.

I'm only a bit senstitive to motion. I grew up on Long Island sound and am used to boating and smaller swells. But, when the waves get friskier than those the Sound, I feel it. I truly think the motion is a bit exaggerated in the extreme forward cabins (AC's & AA's).

If you want, me and my stomach will be happy to let you know the difference between #9506 vs. my aft cabin this January.:)

Mimi,

You are a real trooper. I was on the Dawn last April with you and your husband. You invited me back for coffee, remember? Your cabin was beautiful and its great to see that you are going back again, and in the same cabin!!! We are going on the 3/16/06 Dawn Eastern Caribbean this time. This time we also booked deck 10 just mid ship.

Joanne

Hi BM,

When I first read your post, my first instinct was to suggest an aft cabin, for your daughter's sake.

I was in #9506 (Owner's Suite -- forward on port side) in June, 2005.

I purposely booked an aft cabin for upcoming January cruise.

Reason: I'd rather try the aft cabin while cruising in the Atlantic in January.:eek: We had a smooth trip in June BUT when the seas were just a bit rough, you could feel (and hear) the hull of the ship hit the water after a wave. This is NOT good for anyone who is sensitive to motion.

I'm only a bit senstitive to motion. I grew up on Long Island sound and am used to boating and smaller swells. But, when the waves get friskier than those the Sound, I feel it. I truly think the motion is a bit exaggerated in the extreme forward cabins (AC's & AA's).

If you want, me and my stomach will be happy to let you know the difference between #9506 vs. my aft cabin this January.:)

PLEASE report back the difference. We have never done an aft. Would love to hear your opinion.

Have a wonderful cruise:)

Of course I remember Joanne. We had a wonderful visit that evening. :) It is so nice hearing from you.

I think deck 10 is terrific and as you said the AC cabins are beautiful.

We were moved to an obstructed view after the wave and were surprised how much space there seemed to be. The room itself was great but I doubt if I could ever get the DH to book any room that didn't have a balcony.

I would like to try an aft cabin at some point. There seems be be alot that feel it's the only way to go.

We sailed in an AE in May and in AA in September & December. The motion is less in the stern. You do feel the waves hitting the hull in the AA's.

They both have one problem. When they dock or turn around the bow & stern thrusters do make the ship vibrate in those rooms. It's like being in a cheap motel with one of those old .25 vibrating beds.

On this cruise it was our alarm clock on docking days.

The Dawn is a very stable ship and you get used to the motion very quickly.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

Monty, Thanks for all those great daily posts. You have me believing only an OS will do. Alas, I don't think an upsell will be available for the 4/16 (Easter) cruise, and based on all the wonderful posts, I am leaning now to aft cabin. I am always very interested to hear from anyone who has been there, done that. these boards are incredible.:)

Monty, Thanks for all those great daily posts. You have me believing only an OS will do. Alas, I don't think an upsell will be available for the 4/16 (Easter) cruise, and based on all the wonderful posts, I am leaning now to aft cabin. I am always very interested to hear from anyone who has been there, done that. these boards are incredible.:)

BeachMusic,

It sure is hard to go back after being in an OS. We haven't yet, but I'm not sure there will always be that upsell available. I think we would like it no matter what cabin we were in (not without a balcony though), but it sure does spoil you.

• 1 month later...
PLEASE report back the difference. We have never done an aft. Would love to hear your opinion.

Have a wonderful cruise:)

Hi Cosmo,

Well, here's my report regarding the difference between

• #9506: AA Owner's Suite, forward. June 2005
  • versus
  • #10226: AD Romance Penthouse, aft. Jan 2006

Would I book the AD (or AE) again to get a 'smoother' ride during a cruise? Nope. I'd definitely book the suite I want, no matter where it was located on the ship (like the Owner's Suite;) ).

Here's a picture that Shoreguy posted during our first sea day (1/3/06):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=5442572&postcount=459

My stomach is churning just thinking about it:eek: . I had to walk around the cabin with slightly bent knees to keep my balance. You should have seen the water sloshing around in the bathroom sink. The closet doors kept flying open -- it was an adventure. (Thank goodness for the Relief Band -- it really works.)

Lesson learned:

the motion may be a bit more exaggerated in a forward cabin/suite, but if there's a lot of motion in the ocean, it really doesn't matter where you are: forward or aft. Take seasickness medication and/or use the Relief Band and at least you'll have a roomier, more luxurious suite to suffer in!:)

Midship has the least motion, so I spent time in the Java Cafe (Deck 7, midship). That helped quite a bit.

Archived