MSC Divina August 19, 2017 Eastern Caribbean cruise review

Cherries Jubilee

I'm sure there are more and I'll add them as I think of them, but none of these things truly affected my trip. We pretty much shrugged off any minor inconveniences we had.

What did affect our cruise was the lack of taste in most of the buffet food. A lot of it was really bland. Our table mates felt the same way. Other than the breakfast/brunch crossover time I did not enjoy the buffet.

Another thing that affected my trip was the lackluster entertainment. If you didn't want to see the shows you weren't left with much to do. The things they did have planned were all very short and a lot of them were poorly attended. It is almost like they left a lull in things to do so that you had to attend the shows during those hours. Unfortunately if they turn out not to be for you, your nights may fall flat.

The cruise line cannot be blamed for unfriendly passengers but they need to come up with a way to engage interaction so that the passengers don't seem so closed off.

I can see why couples who want to be alone would love this cruise, people who need to get away and relax on their own, even perhaps big groups who have no real interest in adding to their crew. In my opinion there are at least two kinds of vacations. There are fun active vacations and relaxing escapes and to me this cruise seems more like the latter.

It was not ideal for my sister and I but it was beautiful and comfortable so we enjoyed it anyway.

Would I cruise MSC again? Not unless they upped the entertainment factor and more Americans started cruising with them. I thought I'd like the Euro vibe but they were too standoffish for me.

I'm giving this cruise a 3 1/2 out of 5. They lose a half point for the food in the buffet and a full point for entertainment but I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for this kind of vacation

Feel free to ask any questions you have. [emoji846]

Thanks so much for this post! I thought it was very fair and you were very clear on your perspective. I think some of the customer service issues you had (read:slow) is definitely a European thing that Americans aren't used to. Otherwise, it sounded like MSC or their workers should step-up their game and lose the "snob" factor.

I have been curious about the entertainment because I'm not a big Broadway guy, but I do like things like comedians, magicians, and acrobats, so this seems like its really a taste-preference(Witches or the Pirates sounded worth checking out).

Since I'm cruising with them for my honeymoon next year this sounds like it might be ideal for us, but per your advice, I'll be picky about the buffet and watch out for some of the blandness you experienced at MDR. You do sound like you would enjoy Royal Caribbean as there are more activities and things to do without the Carnival "party-hardy" atmosphere. I have also cruised with Princess, but they are more classic and might be basically a slightly more Americanized MSC in my opinion.

I just had to say I could not disagree more about the "snob" comment. The staff and crew could not have been nicer or more helpful in any way. Everyone we encountered (save 1 person at a bar) couldn't have done more for us and we ask for very little. But they WANTED to help and they were all incredibly friendly if you took a moment to say hello and ask a question. They are not as forward as most Americans are, they come from different cultures. But a hello and a smile go a long way.

We've been on the Divina twice and we'll be on Seaside in December. We LOVE the food. All of it! Lol. It really is a highlight of these gorgeous elegant ships. We are most meals in the dining rooms, but during the week we always made it a point to stop at the buffet for our favorites...the pastas and different sauces are delicious! Their pizza can't be beat. Their fries are great, love their salads, great variety of different foods such as curry, jerk, different Mexican foods, etc...But it's all a matter of taste and preference. I think you have to try it yourself, I hope you enjoy the Divina and congrats on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon! Happy Cruising! M

Thanks so much for this post! I thought it was very fair and you were very clear on your perspective. I think some of the customer service issues you had (read:slow) is definitely a European thing that Americans aren't used to. Otherwise, it sounded like MSC or their workers should step-up their game and lose the "snob" factor.

Since I'm cruising with them for my honeymoon next year this sounds like it might be ideal for us, but per your advice, I'll be picky about the buffet...

I just had to say I could not disagree more about the "snob" comment. The staff and crew could not have been nicer or more helpful in any way. Everyone we encountered (save 1 person at a bar) couldn't have done more for us and we ask for very little. But they WANTED to help and they were all incredibly friendly if you took a moment to say hello and ask a question. They are not as forward as most Americans are, they come from different cultures. But a hello and a smile go a long way.

We've been on the Divina twice and we'll be on Seaside in December. We LOVE the food. All of it! Lol. It really is a highlight of these gorgeous elegant ships. We are most meals in the dining rooms, but during the week we always made it a point to stop at the buffet for our favorites...the pastas and different sauces are delicious! Their pizza can't be beat. Their fries are great, love their salads, great variety of different foods such as curry, jerk, different Mexican foods, etc...But it's all a matter of taste and preference. I think you have to try it yourself, I hope you enjoy the Divina and congrats on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon! Happy Cruising! M

I wasn't trying to be offensive by that, but in the review, there were several times that it seemed that the crew thought they knew better than the passengers. Maybe poor word choice, but I live in Argentina (which is heavily influenced by Italy) and it depends on the person here.

I am actually really excited about this ship for basically everything else you mentioned. I've traveled to (Mediterranean) Europe and a large chunk of the Americas as well as working with companies(co-workers) from just about everywhere so I love the international feel, but the national stereotypes can sometimes be surprisingly accurate. For instance, the difference in American tipping culture and European style service is something I'm very much looking forward to although I know it can be hit or miss (depending on your expectations).

No, you weren't offensive but thank you for clarifying. I just had such a different experience on Divina I wanted you (and others) to know its not as bad as some have heard. I've also spent a lot of time in Europe, especially Italy where my family is from, and I love that part of MSC. Glad you have an open mind. Looking forward to hearing your impressions. Enjoy!

quote=Rec33;54405702]I wasn't trying to be offensive by that, but in the review, there were several times that it seemed that the crew thought they knew better than the passengers. Maybe poor word choice, but I live in Argentina (which is heavily influenced by Italy) and it depends on the person here.

I am actually really excited about this ship for basically everything else you mentioned. I've traveled to (Mediterranean) Europe and a large chunk of the Americas as well as working with companies(co-workers) from just about everywhere so I love the international feel, but the national stereotypes can sometimes be surprisingly accurate. For instance, the difference in American tipping culture and European style service is something I'm very much looking forward to although I know it can be hit or miss (depending on your expectations).