May, 2006 Itinerary Help

tropicaltravellers

We are planning on adding some days at the end of our cruise to explore by land. Currently, thinking Seward o/n; Girdwood/Whittier; Talkeetna; Denali (2 nights) and then Anchorage o/n to catch our plane in the morning. Any comments/recommendations? We have the toursaver book. Anyone stayed at the following: McKinley Princess; Denali River Cabins; Inn @ Whittier; McKinley Chalet Resort or McKinley Village Lodge

I do not recommend the Princess McKinley lodge with the toursaver since it is way out in the middle of nowhere and with less than a week, you are better off staying in areas with top attractions. You are 100 miles from the Denali Park entrance and 50 miles from the nearest town, Talkeetna.

I have used toursaver for years and never use it for lodging, just haven't found any bargains compared to some excellent B&B's available in Alaska.

If I am reading your routing correctly, I do not recommend Seward/Denali Park in one day. You are looking at 8-9 hours with no time to enjoy the many possible stops. Better would be to stay in Talkeetna a night, enjoy some superb flightseeing and a great funky town, then continue on the next day. If you have only budgeted 4 days??? This is a very busy long transit routing. Better would be to skip Seward- although a gem and make it less of a marathon trip. Other suggestion I would encourage is to rent a car from Avis and go direct first thing in the am from Whittier to Seward. Makes far better use of time if you don't have it.

Actually, we're disembarking in Seward, and were planning on staying overnight there. Either fishing (for my hubby), or the Kenai Fjords cruise. Check out the town, and then do the sea life center the next day. We are thinking about going to Whittier or Girdwood (overnight) the next day, taking plenty of time for side trips/pit stops wherever looks interesting. Next day, up to the Talkeetna area (didn't realize the Princess Lodge was so far away!) overnight, again taking time for any sights along the way that we want to see/experience. Then on to Denali for two nights, and back to Anchorage (overnight) to get ready to fly home the next day. Altogether, we'll have 6 days (not counting the day we fly home). We're travelling with my mom, so probably won't be doing some of the more strenuous excursions this time. Mostly, we would like to take time to see the landscape/sights and look for wildlife. Budget Queen- any comments are greatly appreciated, but especially- what do you recommend Girdwood or Whittier?

You have a good overall plan. In my opinion, a Kenai Fjord boat trip is a must do, especially with your wildlife priority. :)

Girdwood and Whittier are only day trips for me from Anchorage, so no help. PWS boat tours are tops in scenery and close up glacier viewing, definately worthwhile.

Archived