Single Parent Traveling With Kids, Question

If the children have the same last name as yours, you would probably be OK, but if it's not a big hassle, I'd still get the notarized letter signed by the mom.

The letter needs to cover:

Permission to take the kids on the trip, ship, dates, itinerary.

Permission to make medical decisions.

Permission to sign waivers on behalf of the kids.

We've taken these letters before, and were never asked for them, but I would hate to be in a position of being asked for the letter and not having it.

Besides their passports, I always bring a notarized letter from my kids' other parent granting permission for me to take the children out of the country (and listing the cruise ship name and dates), a copy of the divorce decree that shows we have joint custody (and which already authorizes me to make medical decisions and sign waivers), and, since I'm a mom with a different last name, a copy of my marriage certificate to show that I'm actually the mom.

I have never been asked to show this documentation, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I always take a letter from my husband (we've been married a few decades) just in case. It states name of ship, countries visiting, etc. I've never gotten it notarized nor have I been asked to see any such documentation. We've sailed in several Princess, RCI, Holland A cruises m.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always take the documentation (notarized letter from husband stating permission to leave the country with the child with dates/itinerary) when driving through Canada and I've almost always been asked for it when driving, but I've NEVER been asked for it on a cruise, both departing and rearriving or at any port stops along the way.

After the first few cruises, I stopped carrying it because it was such a PITA to get hubby to a notary (he's often out of state for work himself). I think having passports will be a big help, as you can't get passports for children of divorce without either the other parent's permission or a court order.

But if you can easily obtain the notarized letter from the other parent, it sure isn't going to hurt to have it. Ditto with having copies of the birth certificates, as this proves that you're the father of the children, and not just someone with the same last name (passports don't name parents).

As the others have said, bring a letter just in case. Technically it's not required, since you're their father, but you'd hate to be left at the pier without it. I had 18 years of dealing with this, couldn't get a letter, so had to actually get a letter from the courts giving me permission to travel alone with my daughter. Not once was I asked for it. I often wondered if that's because, to get their passports, both parents have to give permission...?