Finally some details on QUEEN VICTORIA

eroller

Seatrade insider recently interviewed Cunard's new President, Carol Marlow.

In regards to QV, she stated:

'will be a liner, with strengthened and elongated hull with transatlantic capabilities and will have the traditional signature dining rooms.'

In addition, QV's keel laying is scheduled for the first half of 2006, while QV's marketing launch will begin during the 1Q of 2006.

Marlow also was asked about QE2. She stated 2007 will mark QE2's 40th anniversary, and that QE2 will be able to operate beyond 2010.

When asked about a Cunard three ship operation, Marlow stated:

'I am confident we can fill all three liners and as long as QE2 remains popular and in demand we will continue to operate her.'

I would consider that last statement a big "if". Basically, QE2 could go at anytime if Cunard decides she is no longer popular and earning money. Time will tell.

Ernie

It will be interesting to see how her interiors turn out. From the outside I don't think she will look any different then the current Vista Class except be slightly longer, and of course have a Cunard funnel.

Ernie

Thanks for the update... Wonder if she will be bigger than QM2

We already know she will not (far from it in fact). If you want to know what QV will look like from the exterior, just have a look at any Holland America Line "Vista" class ship (OOSTERDAM, WESTERDAM, ZUIDERDAM, NOORDAM) or P&O's ARCADIA. The QV will share the same hull platform and exterior design. QV will be slightly longer and have a Cunard funnel, but I don't expect too many other exterior changes.

Cunard has already begun parading QV as a true "liner", but frankly I'm skeptical. Personally I think it takes more than a strenghtened hull to make a ship a "liner". GRAND PRINCESS can have a stregthened hull ... that does not make her a "liner". Merely a cruise ship with a strengthened hull ... which is what I imagine QV will be. No doubt Cunard's PR hype will tell us otherwise.

Ernie

I don't like to be pessimistic.

But...

So the Queen Victoria "will have the traditional signature dining rooms" ?

That's less than we were told this summer on the QE2 when they said "all the signature rooms" not just dining rooms.

Even then they made clear that "signature" is merely a nice word for giving some rooms familiar names but that it will be nothing we know from the other Queens and totally contemporary - and we all know how Carnival and their designer interpret this term.

Carol Marlow stated:

'will be a liner, with strengthened and elongated hull with transatlantic capabilities and will have the traditional signature dining rooms.'

ALL the MV CARIBBEAN CONDOs have Transatlantic capabilities....otherwise how would they get from their builders to the Caribbean......? A liner has reserves of speed, needed to maintain a timetable - so it will be interesting to see what QV's top speed is. Dingle also said they 'strengthened Arcadia's bow' when P&O took her on....from Cunard....so this looks like P&O's upgrade to the Vista class - though 'elongated' hull will be interesting - and how much - for me the 'give away' will be the forward superstructure. Forward facing balconies = cruise ship - not something you put in the North Atlantic. Another Commodore Club & Library on the other hand......I wonder what counts as 'traditional' signature dining rooms - the QE2's 36 year tradition, or the QM2's 2 year tradition.....I'd guess the latter....

Peter

for me the 'give away' will be the forward superstructure. Forward facing balconies = cruise ship - not something you put in the North Atlantic.

Hi Peter,

None of the Spirit or Vista Class ships have forward facing balconies. This is just not something that was part of the original design. For this reason I don't expect QV will either, but that still doesn't mean she is a "liner" in my book.

Ernie

Hi Peter,

None of the Spirit or Vista Class ships have forward facing balconies. This is just not something that was part of the original design. For this reason I don't expect QV will either, but that still doesn't mean she is a "liner" in my book. Ernie

Hi Ernie,

You are quite right, Ernie, I misread the ARCADIA deck plans - still, putting cabins in the forward superstructure is not something one lightly does in a Transatlantic liner - as a few passengers on MICHELANGELO found out to their cost: http://*****.com/428me

Peter

Hi Ernie,

You are quite right, Ernie, I misread the ARCADIA deck plans - still, putting cabins in the forward superstructure is not something one lightly does in a Transatlantic liner - as a few passengers on MICHELANGELO found out to their cost: http://*****.com/428me

Peter

Great example Peter. In MICHELANGELO's case, the forward superstructure was built out of aluminum and not steel which was a huge mistake. Not only were cabins damaged, but the bridge as well ... and this on a purpose-built ocean liner.

More recently we have NORWEGIAN DAWN. She sustained heavy damage to the forward superstructure in heavy seas. Many of the forward facing balcony suites were flooded or heavily damaged. The crew hot tubs were actually lifted out of their foundations on the bow and thrown overboard. This on a ship that is allegedly built to sustain heavy seas more than most.

Ernie

....that would be nice would be some SINGLE cabins......we should live so long......

Peter

Agreed! Of course if Cunard didn't see fit to put them on QM2, I doubt we will see them on QV. :(

Ernie

Carol Marlow's statement was more of a comment than much detail, and for the Queen Victoria the devil will be in the details. The comment that QV will be an ocean liner is sort of an indication that the hull will have to be more than just a vista class clone with a strengthened hull and elongated bow. The vista class hull is already 951 feet long and the maximum for the Panama Canal is 963 feet. 12 additional feet does not give much elongation. A truely elongated bow will cut into interior storage and crew space. The vista class ships have a draft of only 22 feet. In comparison QM2 and QE2 have drafts of around 29 feet making them much more stable in heavy seas. Shallow draft cruise ships displace less water as they move thereby requiring less energy and lowering fuel costs (more profits, more profits!).

Having sailed on HAL's Westerdam and carefully studied the ship, I don't see how a basic vista class supersturcture that carries 1850 passengers can meet the extra luxury required for even a minimum Cunard level. Sure, an extra deck can be added at the top (ala Arcadia) to house the Queen's Grill and Princess Grill but where are the extra large luxurious staterooms necessary for the Queen's Grill passengers going to be put. HAL's vista class ships have only two penthouse suites suitable for Queen's Grill. The rest of the suites would pass for Princess Grill but not Queen's Grill. I suppose that duplex suites could be worked into the stern staterooms, but at a cost of reducing the number of staterooms. If the planned number of passengers was reduced to around 1600 then I can envision an appropriate Cunard vessel, but it ain't gonna work at 1850 passengers. Carnival bean counters - are you listening?

Another thing worth mentioning is the size of the vista class ship staterooms. The S suites at about 390 square feet interior and the SS suites at about 290 square feet interior are nice size for Princess Grill. The veranda staterooms mostly have an interior space of 174 square feet. That is more than 20 square feet smaller than QM2 staterooms. These staterooms are a bit cramped and the bathtub is a joke. The outside staterooms on deck 1 are about the same size as QM2 and are comfortably sized. The inside staterooms on deck 1 are 194 and 207 square feet and are the most comfortable staterooms on the ship other than the suites. The inside category M, L and K staterooms on the upper decks are very small at 154 square feet. They are better than many cabins on QE2 but are really substandard for HAL. They would make excellent SINGLE staterooms. HINT, HINT!!

Along with many of you, I am waiting with great interest to see what compromises will be made in the design details of Queen Victoria.

Bill

While I take every rumor with a grain of salt, when I was on QM2 this summer and they were promoting early deposits for 2008 QV sailings, I was guaranteed that the Cunard three class concept would continue. Was told there definately would be a Queens Grill as well as a Princess Grill with cabins/suites to match. While no numbers were provided, the note was made on my deposit that I was depositing for two Q5 (current QM2 coding) level suites.

will have to wait and see!

It is good to finally hear that things are moving forward on the QV,

I totally agree with the fact that there are not enough single cabins onboard any of the cunard line as we have seen a larhe increase in sales for single travellers , not just in cruising but all areas of travelling ,

Archived