Changing cabins.

cmptrwiz

I would like to book a cruise on the Splendor. All of the inside spa cabins are currently sold out. If we booked an early saver regular inside cabin now and an inside spa cabin opened up later would we be able to just pay the difference and upgrade or are we going to have to pay the $50 per person penalty?

What if we didn't book early saver and just booked the past guest rate?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My experience has been anytime you upgrade its been fine, just can't cancel or downgrade. Also, on the last few we've booked we chose not to use Early Saver rate. Early Saver and Past guest rate has been only a few dollars difference when you calculate the 2 category upgrade that's in the deal. The extra flexibility to cancel or change is worth it to us over early saver.

I would like to book a cruise on the Splendor. All of the inside spa cabins are currently sold out. If we booked an early saver regular inside cabin now and an inside spa cabin opened up later would we be able to just pay the difference and upgrade or are we going to have to pay the $50 per person penalty?

What if we didn't book early saver and just booked the past guest rate?

Upgrading is never an issue. When I found out a suite became available during my second Alaskan cruise I jumped on it. I had gotten an email from the Carnival person who helping with everything to do with the cruise. When I booked, I asked her to keep me apprised of any openings of suites. You may want to do the same when you book. Let them know if one becomes available, you want it. :)

Any of the booking rates allow you to upgrade cabins without penalties or fees.

Most also allow you to apply any price decease that might occur before final payment towards the price of the upgrade.

Early saver allows you to search for prices decreases or upgrades to "better" cabins at the same price until 2 days before sail away.

Thanks! I was pretty sure the past guest rate would allow an upgrade I just wasn't sure about early saver without a penalty.

I would like to book right now for a cruise about one year out, but I've had surgery with medical issues and have one more surgery planned in a few weeks. We've spent a ton of money even with insurance. I think we could afford it, but only time will tell.

My other problem is I promised to my wife to finish a bathroom downstairs before we went on any more cruises and haven't gotten it done yet.

Thanks! I was pretty sure the past guest rate would allow an upgrade I just wasn't sure about early saver without a penalty.

I would like to book right now for a cruise about one year out, but I've had surgery with medical issues and have one more surgery planned in a few weeks. We've spent a ton of money even with insurance. I think we could afford it, but only time will tell.

My other problem is I promised to my wife to finish a bathroom downstairs before we went on any more cruises and haven't gotten it done yet.

Have you considered booking now with the past guest rate and then later switching to the Early Saver rate? I have done that before. There was no charge for doing that. Of course you run the risk that the rates will go up but if they do you wouldn't be getting anything back under the Early Saver rate anyway. Anything could happen in a year and it is nice to be able to cancel and get a total refund.

Have you considered booking now with the past guest rate and then later switching to the Early Saver rate? I have done that before. There was no charge for doing that. Of course you run the risk that the rates will go up but if they do you wouldn't be getting anything back under the Early Saver rate anyway. Anything could happen in a year and it is nice to be able to cancel and get a total refund.

That's a good idea. If I have to cancel under past guest do I get a refund of my down payment or a future credit on a future sailing?

That's a good idea. If I have to cancel under past guest do I get a refund of my down payment or a future credit on a future sailing?

You get a complete refund of your deposit and any other payments you have made. Not just a future credit. That way you can spend the money on any vacation you might want. I just cancelled a Carnival cruise that is sailing late next year and I booked it in February of this year under the past guest rate. We had already paid $2400 on it for the 3 of us. I cancelled on Friday and the whole $2400 was refunded to our credit card on Sunday. It took only 2 days.

On our last cruise we booked under the past guest rate about a year in advance. About 6 months later they offered a great Early Saver rate with OBC and that's when we switched that one over to Early Saver rate and there was no charge to do that. I like doing it this way as it gives you options.

One more "two cents worth" to consider. If you book your best choice room now under Past Guest, you can always downgrade later to a regular inside room (under whatever rate you choose at the time), or you can just cancel. As long as you do this all before your final payment time.

The only reason I mention this is it used to be that if you booked way in advance you could catch good sales, etc. and better rates. From what I have seen in the last year or so, rates seem to climb higher and higher the closer you get and reductions are few and far between. So it may be better to lock in your "best choice" room now at the rate you can get for it now, and then switch to a lesser room later if you can't accommodate that fare. I think this could give you the best option of getting that best room you want at the best price.

One more "two cents worth" to consider. If you book your best choice room now under Past Guest, you can always downgrade later to a regular inside room (under whatever rate you choose at the time), or you can just cancel. As long as you do this all before your final payment time.

The only reason I mention this is it used to be that if you booked way in advance you could catch good sales, etc. and better rates. From what I have seen in the last year or so, rates seem to climb higher and higher the closer you get and reductions are few and far between. So it may be better to lock in your "best choice" room now at the rate you can get for it now, and then switch to a lesser room later if you can't accommodate that fare. I think this could give you the best option of getting that best room you want at the best price.

That sounds like pretty good advice!