Pictures of Norwegian Gem Obstructed View Accessible Cabin # 8598

emfischer99

Hello Cruisers!

I booked a cabin 8598 on Norwegian Gem for 4 people (all adults), and desperately need advice. I was under the impression that there are going to be 2 beds, a couch and a pull-down bed. Then I read that apparently, it's 3 beds and a pull-down one. Now we are worried that it's going to be entirely too tight for 4 full-size people.

Does anyone have photos of that specific cabin? If so, would you please, post or email them to me?

Thank you in advance!!

Isn't 3 beds better than 2 beds and a couch? Pull down would be my concern for a full size person.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I saw one picture of the similar room that had 3 beds and it looked like they had to be next to each other with no room in between. Plus, there was no place to put a ladder for the person to get on and off pull-down bed. It looked weird. The pictures were very small though so maybe I got a wrong impression. That's why I'd like to see if anyone has any more pictures of this cabin or the similar ones (8596, 8598, 8600, 8602, 8096, 8098, 8100, 8102) that could give me a better idea of the room we'll have to work with. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2212965

not sure if this link will work but I posted pics in a review i did of the same type of room on the Jade- sister ship that two daughters and I stayed in back in 2015.

It had plenty of room for 3. 4 would be tough. Daughter who is 5'8" took top bunk and was very comfortable. daughters had to be careful they didn't bonk their heads.

Basically if 4 in room there's three twins across and one fold down. Plus some floor space to access closet and a mirror/ stool to get ready. Plus the roomy but accessible bathroom.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2212965

not sure if this link will work but I posted pics in a review i did of the same type of room on the Jade- sister ship that two daughters and I stayed in back in 2015.

It had plenty of room for 3. 4 would be tough. Daughter who is 5'8" took top bunk and was very comfortable. daughters had to be careful they didn't bonk their heads.

Basically if 4 in room there's three twins across and one fold down. Plus some floor space to access closet and a mirror/ stool to get ready. Plus the roomy but accessible bathroom.

I read your review and looked at your pictures before. Thank you! This is what gave me an idea that we may be able to manage. My only concern is that we'll have to have 3 beds and there will be no space for the ladder, right? What if the person on the pull-down bed needs to go to the bathroom at night? :)

I'm pretty sure they have a way to set up beds so that fold down bed can use ladder. I know it's hard to tell from pictures but there was quite a bit of space between the two beds. 3rd bed that we didn't have set up probably has to squish up to one of the twins and then there's ladder room. The room itself is bigger than a regular balcony room. The closest is also good size, and so is the bathroom. Location is great. The guys next to our room had four in the room and they seemed to do just fine. I guess biggest issue would be storage. There is also a television not showing in pictures and the stand it's on has the safe, mini fridge and some drawers. You may have to use a suitcase for a storage and that person just slides suitcase from under bed to get out clothes. They may configure beds a little different if 4 in the room in a manner that fold down can get in and out and use ladder. Just know it'll be tight but will work out. They can put for in an inside non accessible at probably half the size of the room you have.

I'm pretty sure they have a way to set up beds so that fold down bed can use ladder. I know it's hard to tell from pictures but there was quite a bit of space between the two beds. 3rd bed that we didn't have set up probably has to squish up to one of the twins and then there's ladder room. The room itself is bigger than a regular balcony room. The closest is also good size, and so is the bathroom. Location is great. The guys next to our room had four in the room and they seemed to do just fine. I guess biggest issue would be storage. There is also a television not showing in pictures and the stand it's on has the safe, mini fridge and some drawers. You may have to use a suitcase for a storage and that person just slides suitcase from under bed to get out clothes. They may configure beds a little different if 4 in the room in a manner that fold down can get in and out and use ladder. Just know it'll be tight but will work out. They can put for in an inside non accessible at probably half the size of the room you have.

Thank you for your feedback. The location of the room is what sold me on it. My Mother-in-law is offering to upgrade us to a mini-suite on Deck 11 (11528) and I am absolutely torn. On one hand, I want a balcony, a bathtub and a view without lifeboats, but I am afraid that being below Deck 12 it will be too noisy. Plus, the location of 8598 seems superior to that of 11528. How was the noise level in your cabin?

We had no noise issues except for four young girls next door. After a couple nights I called security and they had them quiet down. That could happen in any location. No noise from above or below. mini suites with public deck above would be a concern with me too. The midship location and a couple decks lower than 11 are also ideal in case of rough seas. The ship isn't that big that anything is really too far a walk but midship 8 was a great spot. The lifeboats don't obstruct that much. You can easily see out. I'd say probably 1/4 bottom half window obstruction. The window is large and has a nice shelf space. The person who has a bed against this wall has a great extra storage space. Worst part of room is that it's handicap accessible and we didn't need that so it was a little institutional feeling compared to non handicap. I think they mostly are assigned as gt obstruction category rooms and assigned later just in case a handicap person needs them. Seems like mostly they were filled with groups of 3 or 4.

As far as I know, there are no sofa or couch in these designated accessible, obstructed oceanview staterooms. They are "over-sized" compared to the ordinary or standard oceanview staterooms, for the same/similar class of NCL ships - Dawn, Jewel, Star & Gem. Anytime you have 4 adults sharing an oceanview or balcony, space will be considered "tight" by some while others are fine - these have much more generous space to share, including the restroom/shower - YMMV.

You have a upper pullman bed (full-size, 250 lbs rating - my recollection - with a ladder) that drop down from the wall for a person, 2 single beds that can be split or combined as a Queen bed, plus 1 more single trundle bed that slide out - next to the other beds. Even with 3 beds side-by-side, there is still a reasonable amount of room for getting into/out of beds.

We're assigned last minute into one on the Jewel 6 years ago, virtually the same as another one that we stayed on the Star in 2008.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6bxev9ajd2idqj/Star%208098%20OV%20interior%203.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzf01n81e4pop0a/Star%208098%20OV%20interior%202.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dd8h9url562x7c8/Star%208098%20OV%20Cabin%20w%203%20beds.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkpkrubiy01q637/Star%208098%20OV%20Cabin%20obstructed%20view.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8unz9rxoi1devoo/Star%208098%20OV%20closet%20by%20the%20door.JPG?dl=0

Note on the last pix - the upper pullman bed stored up, next to the entrance door - out of the way of the lower bed,