Embassy staff cut concerns in Cuba

Mama Lo

@CeleBrat

Could you let us know if you receive any communication about what is going to happen?

When I read that article I king of thought, I live right near NYC and it seems much scarier to go there then Havana. So I am not particularly concerned especially since we will sleep on the ship.

I do think that when you book a cruise one of the things that you agree to is that they can change the ports on you whenever they decide.

I called the cruise line, and they don't have an official statement about it...yet. In checking further, it seems that the visas which have been discontinued are for Cubans citizens. So, given that our visa may already be processed, and it is Cuba that is issuing the visa, we *may* be OK.

However, that still requires the cruise line to continue to cruise there, despite the newly posted "travel warning for US citizens."

AARRRGH. It's going to be a long 10 days as we wait to find out what happens....

I'll keep you all posted.

CeleBrat

We leave 10/5 and I'm more than ready. I think it's confined to the embassy, if something does in fact exist. There has been nothing of anyone on the streets being effected by this sonic mystery. Not even a hint in cruise summaries on CC. It's our only port of call so if Carnival wants to go to some other port, I want my money back.

I'm on the November cruise to Cuba. I called customer service and confirmed that we have already been issued our blanket visas for the trip. My understanding is that the US is no longer granting Visas, but we should be alright since we already have them. I could be completely wrong about that, but just putting it out there.

However, with the new "travel warning" to US citizens, that could change things. If they close the Embassy, that could also change things. I'm anxiously awaiting an update from Viking. I'm sure that will take some time.

We leave 10/5 and I'm more than ready. I think it's confined to the embassy, if something does in fact exist. There has been nothing of anyone on the streets being effected by this sonic mystery. Not even a hint in cruise summaries on CC. It's our only port of call so if Carnival wants to go to some other port, I want my money back.

FYI,

Here is an update from NCL.

Norwegian Cruise Line’s cruises to Havana continue to operate as scheduled. The safety and security of our guests and crew is always our first priority and we continue to maintain the highest security standards as we do in all ports of call.

There have been no reported incidents involving tourists or other cruise ship passengers. Reported incidents have been isolated to diplomats and government officials residing on the island. Our shore excursions and tour locations have been thoroughly evaluated and none are military owned or operated. The visa issuing process for our guests remains unchanged.

We continue to believe that the best way to travel to Cuba is via cruise ship and look forward to continuing to offer our guests the opportunity to explore Cuba’s beauty, culture and friendly people.

Been watching Weather Channel for hours this morning. Have lived in FL since 1961 and was well prepared for Irma even though I was not at home due to family medical issues.

Any weather destruction takes time to organize recovery efforts. Sorry you don't understand. Have discussed the Puerto Rico situation with folks who have traveled outside of San Juan and there is a major problem. I believe Geraldo who is reporting live from San Juan. 3.4 million souls have been dealt cruel blow by Mother Nature not the USA. Transmission lines on the ground power plant ok. Geraldo said will be months. Ships on horizon (live coverage) bringing supplies. RCL ship bringing supplies and bringing tourists and natives out to FL. What more would you want them to do? You could volunteer to go down and help.

Like the OP, I am interested how the current embassy situation will effect my cruise to Cuba, which I was hoping to visit in about a week. I wanted to see if people are planning on continuing with their cruise plans if the itinerary isn't changed or are they going to try & pressure NCL to change the port. I am especially interested on hearing from those whose cruises are leaving in the next couple of weeks.

This thread has now digressed to implied cursing & arguing over political views. That is not the purpose of cruise critic. There are other sites to argue political views if one feels the need to do so.

Thank you.

I'm not cruising to Cuba for another two months, but I'm certainly not leaning one bit toward canceling my cruise unless the cruise line I'm traveling on decides not to go there. I'm guessing they won't decide that, but obviously it's possible they will. In any case, I appreciate the State Department's warning about possible danger to Americans in Cuba, however, I feel the danger for me is pretty small, so I'll go. I'm glad the State Department is keeping some of its staff there to help Americans who need it, and I hope the employees stay safe until this issue can be resolved. Likewise, I hope the problems at the Canadian embassy stop and Canadian personnel stay safe as well.

Like the OP, I am interested how the current embassy situation will effect my cruise to Cuba, which I was hoping to visit in about a week. I wanted to see if people are planning on continuing with their cruise plans if the itinerary isn't changed or are they going to try & pressure NCL to change the port. I am especially interested on hearing from those whose cruises are leaving in the next couple of weeks.

This thread has now digressed to implied cursing & arguing over political views. That is not the purpose of cruise critic. There are other sites to argue political views if one feels the need to do so.

Thank you.

I am leaving Monday, just going to make the most of it, wonder if it’s all hype, but ya never know... just want to see what I can, while I can, since that could change anytime too “maybe”......

I plan to enjoy the ambiance, culture, sights and the people, with probs a few mojitos along the way! Lol

Will follow up on my return.