Dining Room Table Options

beth4652

I'm looking for some opinions. We are a family of six doing a 10-day cruise on Mariner. Our group consists of myself (59), DH (59), DD (24), DD (20), DS (20), and DD (19). I love meeting and dining with people I don't know. If we're at a table for 8, I'm afraid the other two will feel awkward. However, I really don't want to sit with only the family. If I can't get a table larger that 8, should I stick with one for six?

Beth,

You have twins? I think that's cool...but maybe because I am one! Table for ten sounds like it would work well for you. But if you are an outgoing family, I think that a table for 8 would be fine as well. A friend of mine sailed recently and she and a friend sat with a family of six very quiet folks. She said it was uncomfortable. By your asking, though, I have a hunch that you and your family will be very friendly and it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Have a great cruise,

Kathy

We're "in the same boat", we're actually 8 , but I think we will stick with family for the dinner period and do our mixing and mingling at breakfast and lunch. I don't think it would be fair to another couple to impose our whole family on them for dinner every night. There have to be some family discussions that will make them feel uncomfortable and left out, no matter how hard you try. And I don't want be spending my time making sure some other couple are comfortable. Too stressful when there is another way around it. I do like to meet other people, and I think my plan will work best for us.

I'm looking for some opinions. We are a family of six doing a 10-day cruise on Mariner. Our group consists of myself (59), DH (59), DD (24), DD (20), DS (20), and DD (19). I love meeting and dining with people I don't know. If we're at a table for 8, I'm afraid the other two will feel awkward. However, I really don't want to sit with only the family. If I can't get a table larger that 8, should I stick with one for six?

Here is something to think about. Split the adults and kids into two tables. Use your cruise critic boards to find some other adults travelling with kids to fill your two tables. This way the kids can be by themselves and the adults can be by themselves and maybe this will work for you.

We arranged our table of eight last week (on the Mariner) by meeting folks on cruise critc who had similar interest. If you find folks you would like to sit with, simply have them email you privately their confirmation numbers and then call RCCL directly to have your confimations linked together for dinner.

If you are using a travel agent, a single agent must call in the request for all of you. RCCL will not talk to you on the phone is an agent owns your booking. This single agent must have the comfirmation numbers for all groups who want to sit together.

Just an idea, Have a great cruise.

Do they have tables for two?

You can request, but there is no guarantee. I think I replied on another thread, but I highly recommend the large tables, the friends you make will last a lifetime. Even if the first night is ackward, the rest of the cruise will be a joy.

The tables for two are pretty popular, but you should go ahead an request one. They won't guarantee any dining arrangement specifically, so check when you board. If your assignment is not to your liking, you can request (again, that's a request) a change. Sometimes they can accommodate it and sometimes not.

BTW, personal opinion only, but we loathe large tables with strangers. I know many people love them and do make new friends, but that's just not for us. We enjoy meeting people, but really don't care for large tables, especially since I've started losing my hearing because my choices are to say, "Excuse me?" every other sentence or to simply "withdraw" from the conversation in frustration and look like a snob or something. Also, DH and I are kind of private people to begin with. (Not to mention the horror stories we've heard about table mates from you-know-where!)

I think that it would be real gamble to ask for a table for 8 for your party of 6. It's very likely that the "outsiders" would feel like they were exactly that. Again, JMHO.

beachchick

I am one of the daughters of beth. Our family is very outgoing but at times we are very intimidating. We all have very strong personalities. I know that whomever sits with us will definitly be entertained but do you think it would be better to have a table of 10 so that the others aren't so outnumbered?

I am one of the daughters of beth. Our family is very outgoing but at times we are very intimidating. We all have very strong personalities. I know that whomever sits with us will definitly be entertained but do you think it would be better to have a table of 10 so that the others aren't so outnumbered?

I have only cruised once, but I say go for the large table. We did and truly loved our table and made some lifelong friends. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I've no doubt that your family is lovely, but you mention that you are "intimidating" and have "strong personalities." I think it would be better to have the largest table. It's possible that two strangers with you at a table of eight might be entertained, but three things you should consider: Did they come to dinner to be entertained, will they like the entertainment, and might they prefer to actually be part of the conversation rather than just an audience?

I certainly would not enjoy us being the only two non-family members with a dominant family. Personally, if I'm going to be at a table with non-family, I'd rather everyone be on basically equal footing.

As always, JMHO.

beachchick

Archived