Marseille FAQ

Last summer we arranged taxi service for the full day from the port of Marseilles to Aix-en Provence and the surrounding countryside. The company was Provence-taxi-tourisme. The only thing that was as promised was advanced purchase of our tickets to the Cezanne exhibit. We hired private drivers in every port, and were assured that all drivers/guides spoke English. Only in Marseilles was this not the case. We are not completely ignorant, and do speak some other languages, unfortunately, French is not one of them. They didn't know Spanish or Italian, either. During the course of an entire day, we had less conversation with our driver than you would in a 10 minutes taxi ride in NYC. Additionally, (very long story), one of the drivers duped us into paying an extra 40 euros, and it took 2 months for the company management to make good on their promise to return the money. Although others on this forum may have had a better time with Provence-taxi-tourisme, I recommend that you look for someone else.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the beginning of Nov we will be stopping in both Provence and Villefranche. I believe that these stops are quite close to each other and would like suggestions as to what to see in both these ports. Thanks for any input.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I think FMAX's idea of one thread for each port-with no questions, just info- is a great one so I am reviving this one. If you have questions re ports, do a search for the threads started by FMAX, they are the best!

I saw this today on http://wikitravel.org/en/Marseille and thought it worth sharing:

"Train service to AIX en Provence is currently (04-apr-08) suspended and replaced by buses. (navette). These run from the Arc De Triomphe (metro stop Jules Guesde) and cost 4.60€ paid to the driver. It is a somewhat scary area at night. Returning from Aix, the bus at 9:50 pm gets you back in time to catch the metro before it closes at 10:30 pm Monday-Thurs. "

The date 04-apr-08 is to be read as April 4,2008 I believe. Navette is a bus line.

• 1 year later...

Will be arriving via Oceania Insigna to Mareilles' Mole Leon Gourret dock area. Want to catch bus to AIX 1st thing. Does one need to go to central bus terminal in city center or is there a place near the pier to get the bus. Thanks in advance

Jerry

Archived