London to Southampton

smm0218

Car to Waterloo a wise choice. Likely to drop you at the front, you will find yourself on the station concourse within 30 steps. Pretty much straight ahead are the platforms likely to have the Southampton trains, 5-10. Ticket machines and office just to your right. It’s quite a simple station layout.

I use Trainline UK app to see times and platforms.

If you have 5 minutes to spare, the arch at the far end, opposite platform 20 ish is worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Car to Waterloo a wise choice. Likely to drop you at the front, you will find yourself on the station concourse within 30 steps.

Do not let them drop you at the front of Waterloo as there are lots of steps up to the entrance.

Any good driver will go to the rear drop-off where the taxi rank is, as that is on the same level as the platforms and is only 10 paces away.

Linda

Thanks for the info on Timeline UK. I was able to set up an alert so they will email when cheaper tickets go on sale. But I'll still add it to my calendar.to check in a few months.

Insanemagnet

I'll add your info to my transportation notes. That is good info to have.

Sandi

At least things have improved in the last hundred years or so. I was reading Three Men in a Boat and came across this:

“We got to Waterloo at eleven, and asked where the eleven-five started from. Of course nobody knew; nobody at Waterloo ever does know where a train is going to start from, or where a train when it does start is going to, or anything about it. The porter who took our things thought it would go from number two platform, while another porter, with whom he discussed the question, had heard a rumour that it would go from number one. The station-master, on the other hand, was convinced it would start from the local.”

From porters looking at each other to figure out where a train is starting from to being able to get an email to order tickets in advance, we've come a long way.

BTW, I want WAT for the correct Waterloo station and SOU for the correct Southampton station, right?

Do not let them drop you at the front of Waterloo as there are lots of steps up to the entrance.

Any good driver will go to the rear drop-off where the taxi rank is, as that is on the same level as the platforms and is only 10 paces away.

Ha yeah, I was thinking how to phrase front and back, cos we are describing the same side of a rectangle. It’s the rank I meant, no steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums