Best Time For North Sea???

skandls

I have problems with motion sickness. I do my best to avoid choppy seas, bad weather times and hurricane seasons. I do like cruising. I want to do a Northern Europe cruise so I can see St. Petersburg. I was told by a Londoner the best months to sail the north sea. But I don't remember - any help out there? We are looking at the Connie for next year.

We have no hurricane season here, but in fall there can be storms.

In general summer is o.k., no big waves, although there can be a current.

Of course the type weather is never 100% guaranteed.

We did the Baltic this past Aug/Sep, and our one night on the North Sea was pretty smooth.

Water state is, in my opinion, luck of the draw. One day smooth, next rough!

We have been on the North Sea when it has been pretty rough.

Just so you know... several years ago we did a Baltic cruise and our sea day in the North Sea was so rough that most of the passengers were terribly sea sick. Rough water does not bother my husband and I but there were not too many other people out and about. You just cannot predict what the seas will be like. Smooth as glass for one cruise and rough as can be the next cruise. Just make sure you have some meds available if you're prone to seasickness.

Just so you know... several years ago we did a Baltic cruise and our sea day in the North Sea was so rough that most of the passengers were terribly sea sick. Rough water does not bother my husband and I but there were not too many other people out and about. You just cannot predict what the seas will be like. Smooth as glass for one cruise and rough as can be the next cruise. Just make sure you have some meds available if you're prone to seasickness.

What time of year did you take your Baltic cruise with rough seas?

SSCruiselady - I don't remember the month as it was so many years ago but our son was with us so it was probably June as we always took our vacations as soon as school let out.

I just remember all the deck chairs on the pool deck were completely full of people with black wool blankets over them and they were all sound asleep. I guess because they'd taken sicksick pills the ship had distributed and the meds put everyone to sleep. It just looked so odd.

The water was a "seafoam" green, like you see in the Caribbean I guess because the waves were so high and the water was churning so. I don't know if that is the North Sea's regular color but I alway envisioned the North Sea to be dark or blackish in color and definitely not seafoam green. Anyway, the only people up and about were our family and a few others. Everyone else was either in their cabins, I suppose, or asleep under one of those black blankets.

I'd post a picture of the ocean but we're in the process of moving and all my photo albums are packed away.

The rest of the cruise was perfect with still waters. Just that one sea day was rough. And, it was probably because a storm was near or something. I wouldn't worry too much, either bring some meds with you or you can always get seasick pills from guest relations.

Hi Karyanne,

We have sailed the Baltic Sea in early and mid May several times, and have had very nice weather. It can be pretty windy and cool at that time of the year, but we were fortunate enough to have clear and sunny days. With the exception of showers in St. Petersburgh one afternoon. As has been mentioned above the weather can be very unpredictable as you traverse the North Sea. There are some wonderful ports of call on the Baltic itineraries, and we have always enjoyed this region very much.

Petert

Hi Karyanne,

We have sailed the Baltic Sea in early and mid May several times, and have had very nice weather. It can be pretty windy and cool at that time of the year, but we were fortunate enough to have clear and sunny days. With the exception of showers in St. Petersburgh one afternoon. As has been mentioned above the weather can be very unpredictable as you traverse the North Sea. There are some wonderful ports of call on the Baltic itineraries, and we have always enjoyed this region very much.

Petert

Thank you Petert...we are looking forward to our cruise.

Karyn

We did that cruise in the middle two weeks of June 2003 - North Sea headed out toward Scandinavia was smooth as glass; the last day and 1/2 (Copenhagen back to Dover) was very, very rough - as described in some of the previous posts in the thread...

So the big answer is: You never know what the North Sea crossing will bring. (But we're going back on a British Isles/Norwegian Fjords cruise this coming June!)

By the way, St. Petersburg is a glorious and unforgettable port stop; make sure you make the most of it dawn to dusk and the evening too if you have the energy! - I can't say enough about the private tours available through Red October - nothing like your own van with private guide and a driver - making it possible to see so much without waiting in lines or for the big groups of people on the ships' tours...

Archived