NCL Sky - electrical outlet question

Mama Lo

Hello,

I have read that there is only 1 electrical outlet in the cabin and that I should bring along a power strip to be able to plug more things in at once.

I am wondering if the outlet is 3-prong? All of the power strips seem to have 3-prongs but I would hate to not be able to use the one I bring.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I have read that there is only 1 electrical outlet in the cabin and that I should bring along a power strip to be able to plug more things in at once.

I am wondering if the outlet is 3-prong? All of the power strips seem to have 3-prongs but I would hate to not be able to use the one I bring.

Thanks in advance.

Bring an adapter or break off the third prong.

There's a 3 prong American-style outlet, and also a 2 pin UK style outlet.

Adapters are like $25 (this is the one I use) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-global-travel-adapter-kit-black/5010112.p?skuId=5010112

Or bring an extension power bar (but NOT one which is a surge protector!!! Those can be a fire risk).

Stephen

There's a 3 prong American-style outlet, and also a 2 pin UK style outlet.

Adapters are like $25 (this is the one I use) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-global-travel-adapter-kit-black/5010112.p?skuId=5010112

Or bring an extension power bar (but NOT one which is a surge protector!!! Those can be a fire risk).

Stephen

That is a European "Schuko" type outlet, not a "UK" type. UK is very different, and is always 3-prong.

I don't recommend breaking off the ground pin, as this eliminates any ground protection when the power strip/cord is used where there is a 3-prong outlet. Use a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter, like this from Target (and many, many other places, $1.99:

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjMycvp3JvXAhVTnsAKHXYRDmoYABAHGgJpbQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RosYFZx2IqYtiVWHz-DVeeaxU&sig=AOD64_1A9EmoXlVLQydLS99Kcn0Fr-aWeQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiH78Tp3JvXAhVrxVQKHUaXBfQQ9aACCDE&adurl=

That is a European "Schuko" type outlet, not a "UK" type. UK is very different, and is always 3-prong.

I don't recommend breaking off the ground pin, as this eliminates any ground protection when the power strip/cord is used where there is a 3-prong outlet. Use a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter, like this from Target (and many, many other places, $1.99:

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjMycvp3JvXAhVTnsAKHXYRDmoYABAHGgJpbQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RosYFZx2IqYtiVWHz-DVeeaxU&sig=AOD64_1A9EmoXlVLQydLS99Kcn0Fr-aWeQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiH78Tp3JvXAhVrxVQKHUaXBfQQ9aACCDE&adurl=

We have some of those, but unless that little thing is grounded, you are still turning a 3 prong into a 2 prong without grounding. And by the way, most of the USB adapters are two prong anyways.

We have some of those, but unless that little thing is grounded, you are still turning a 3 prong into a 2 prong without grounding. And by the way, most of the USB adapters are two prong anyways.

Agreed, and no one ever screws the little ground tab into the switchplate, but it's better than busting the ground pin off a plug. And yes, USB chargers are two prong because of the low current draw.

I think I’d listen to the cruise ship engineer with decades of experience on this one :-)

Agreed, and no one ever screws the little ground tab into the switchplate, but it's better than busting the ground pin off a plug. And yes, USB chargers are two prong because of the low current draw.

Unless the adapter is grounded it makes no difference at all. Electronics 101.

Have a great cruise wherever the ship may take you!

Unless the adapter is grounded it makes no difference at all. Electronics 101.

Have a great cruise wherever the ship may take you!

Duh. My whole comment was based on someone's advice to break off the ground pin from the plug to fit a 3-prong plug into a 2-prong outlet. I was stating that when you used the cord subsequently at a 3-prong outlet that you had removed the grounding safety. If you're going to break off the ground pin to fit a 3-prong into a 2-prong, you are negating the ground, so whether you use the adapter or break off the pin, you have no ground, but by using the adapter, when you go to use the power strip in a 3-prong outlet you can have the ground back, but if you break it off, you won't.