San Juan updates from Oct 22 2017 repo

Smitty83

We were also on the Oct. 22 cruise and flew out from San Juan Oct. 28. We had signed up and paid for the Celebrity transfer worried if there would be taxis at the pier. We received a credit on our stateroom account when they changed to free shuttles. The situation at the airport was horrible, as others stated the luggage was delivered in a truck separate from passengers. We waited 90 minutes for our luggage, it was mass chaos and no Celebrity staff there to assist. Several passengers actually organized and off loaded the luggage. Paid or free do not take the Celebrity transfer. I actually felt bad that we did not take a taxi as there were so many there waiting for our business, much better option all around to take a taxi.

Was Captain Kate the captain on this cruise? Trying to figure out if she will be there on our November 18th cruise on the summit.

Self luggage disembark. No customs line. Grabbed taxi quickly. Much devastation in San Juan. I’ve never seen anything like it in 65 years. Cruise terminal shows obvious damage . Airport running but Southwest flights using Jet Blue gates. Boarding VERY chaotic with no usual posted boarding positions. Asked if they needed volunteers the agent smiled and said sure how would you like to wait until November 5th to fly out. Do not want a divorce so said no Thanxs.

We also were on the October 22nd Summit re-positioning cruise (as I have already posted), and after three nights at the El Convento (which actually honored our reservation for which they will eternally have my undying gratitude given what a number of other people are dealing with regarding their hotel reservations) we flew out of San Juan yesterday. Given that there seem to be NO functioning traffic lights anywhere in San Juan traffic can back up, so the Hotel El Convento front desk clerk recommended an hour for transit from OSJ to the airport. Traffic was moving well, so it took about 15 minutes.

As we were entering the airport terminal I actually felt cold air -- and yes the air conditioning in our terminal was functioning! No cruise ships seemed to be in port yesterday, so after a quick agricultural scan we were in line at United. The airport shops were all operating and appeared well stocked. Also, the airport restaurants were functioning. We did note that the elevator up to the Star Alliance club room was not functioning so had to take the stairs.

The boarding process at the United gate was organized, and despite the fact the flight was full we took off a few minutes early.

Self luggage disembark. No customs line. Grabbed taxi quickly. Much devastation in San Juan. I’ve never seen anything like it in 65 years. Cruise terminal shows obvious damage . Airport running but Southwest flights using Jet Blue gates. Boarding VERY chaotic with no usual posted boarding positions. Asked if they needed volunteers the agent smiled and said sure how would you like to wait until November 5th to fly out. Do not want a divorce so said no Thanxs.

What time did you get to the airport? I have a Southwest flight at 11:50 and expect I should do self embark.