What's up with both Aladdin & Disney's Believe being shown 2 nights in a row?

cruisefamilyforever

There is another thread about this from someone who was on board. It looks like it is a "try out" thing--the problem is that the WDT on the Dream and Fantasy will not seat half of the guest capacity of the ship....so if everyone on late seating wants to attend the early show, some people will be turned away. It isn't usually a problem because it is rare that everyone wants to attend the show, but it can become an issue. And of course you get into the thing of people trying to save seats, every seat not being occupied, etc.

Early on, there were three shows each night, and for a while there were matinees of almost every show. I think DCL is just trying to work out what is the best way for each person to be able to see each show.

The main shows only ran on 1 night for over 6 years, so I'm lost on why they would make this sudden change. To me it appears we are now getting less entertainment for our money. I already thought it was crappy that one of the entertainment nights was a movie, now this change really cheats the customer in my opinion. Other lines I've been on have a main act for entertainment every night.

The main shows only ran on 1 night for over 6 years, so I'm lost on why they would make this sudden change. To me it appears we are now getting less entertainment for our money. I already thought it was crappy that one of the entertainment nights was a movie, now this change really cheats the customer in my opinion. Other lines I've been on have a main act for entertainment every night.

The on board population has changed--fewer repeat cruisers, more newbies over the last couple of years. Also, there have been 3 new shows recently released/ready to release--Rapunzel, Aladdin, and Beauty are all relatively new and meaning that most guests want to attend these. The underlying problem is a theatre that seats 1300 and a ship that cruises "full" at 4000 guests. Those numbers just don't add up to a seat for each person if they do only 2 showings (early and late on the same night). In contrast, the WDT on the Magic seats just under 1000, and a "full" cruise is 2500. Again, it doesn't quite make it, but is a whole lot closer.

The on board population has changed--fewer repeat cruisers' date=' more newbies over the last couple of years. Also, there have been 3 new shows recently released/ready to release--Rapunzel, Aladdin, and Beauty are all relatively new and meaning that most guests want to attend these. The underlying problem is a theatre that seats 1300 and a ship that cruises "full" at 4000 guests. Those numbers just don't add up to a seat for each person if they do only 2 showings (early and late on the same night). In contrast, the WDT on the Magic seats just under 1000, and a "full" cruise is 2500. Again, it doesn't quite make it, but is a whole lot closer.[/quote']

As a relative newbie myself (albeit more used to 4-nt. cruises, where three shows and one guest performer is the comfortable standard), it's difficult to appreciate how privileged/spoiled the question sounds to say "They don't have a different stage show EVERY NIGHT for seven-night guests? They're betraying their customer's trust!"

That's a lot of performers, a lot of rehearsals, and it only makes sense that there'd be repeat showings, just as the BVT movie theater has rotations, and the seat/guest numbers would seem to bear that out...Add in Frozen, which might start going to other ships, and there might need to be a few older shows that could be put out to pasture.

You're free to do anything on the ship, y'know, you don't have to have a stage show every night of your cruise.

As a relative newbie myself (albeit more used to 4-nt. cruises, where three shows and one guest performer is the comfortable standard), it's difficult to appreciate how privileged/spoiled the question sounds to say "They don't have a different stage show EVERY NIGHT for seven-night guests? They're betraying their customer's trust!"

That's a lot of performers, a lot of rehearsals, and it only makes sense that there'd be repeat showings, just as the BVT movie theater has rotations, and the seat/guest numbers would seem to bear that out...Add in Frozen, which might start going to other ships, and there might need to be a few older shows that could be put out to pasture.

You're free to do anything on the ship, y'know, you don't have to have a stage show every night of your cruise.

You make my point by stating what you are used to on a 4-day cruise and then you say I should not expect the same thing on a 7 day cruise. That is like your 4 day cruise having one stage show and a magician for one other night with repeat performances on the other two nights.

My point was typically there main shows or headlining acts every night on a 7 night cruise. It's a standard, not a privilege on most major cruise lines. Disney already usually uses a movie for one of their shows. I prefer live entertainment, so when I saw they will be taking away 2 more opportunities for fresh entertainment, I feel that for what I'm paying there should be variety every night. I have my third Disney cruise scheduled and yes for over $11,000 non concierge, I expect to be entertained differently every night as I have been on other lines for less than half this cost. My wife and family are driving this cruise, I was game for Norwegian, RCI or Carnival. I enjoy Disney, but I personally don't like this new scheduling option. I'd rather see 3 show time options on one day.

It does reduce variety (and thus expenses), that's a fair critique. Not sure if there is a good solution here (3 shows one night is probably the best, but with the complexity and effort would be really really hard to do consistently). If they only do 2 shows to allow for live entertainment, some people will not be able to see them on some ships. If they do 4, then other entertainment suffers, but this may be the best option as with some creativity you could offer it in other venues, something you can't do with the main shows. You could do a comedian in the BV theater for example, or even at the pool (Carnival did this in the afternoon on the Sunshine, each guy did a 10 min rated G/PG set to introduce themselves, but they could have done a full set).

DCL has cut out the All Aboard and Farewell shows to accommodate the back-to-back showing of Aladdin and Believe (in this case). I have mixed feelings about this. We do pay a premium price to sail on DCL and I would be more upset if variety acts were eliminated. We have done enough cruises that I have seen the All Aboard and Farewell shows so many times, I won't be quite as upset. These two shows are a bit tired at this point. The one benefit of the All Aboard show was the preview of the overall cruise and the short variety act that was shown that night. I am not sure how much DCL actually saves by this move. It is still the same cast of entertainers and variety acts. And I doubt they removed the sets for the shows that were eliminated. So, it seems likely this is about improving the experience since some passengers were unable to see the show due to crowds. It does seem like this is not a very good answer to that problem.

The movie on one night never bothered me as the entertainers were doing the pirate show.

If it was successful, I feel that the best option was the matinee. This can pose a problem for the entertainers because that slot is used for rehearsal IF NEEDED. This would happen if there was an issue with the previous performance of that show or if an understudy or new performer was being used in a major role.

However, I wonder whether a mom was choosing to bring young kids to the matinee and then dropping them in the OC or nursery while the couple and/or older kids saw the show at night. In that case, perhaps it didn't free up as many seats as they'd need. Parent of young kids seemed to like the matinees, but they didn't fill the theatre. Obviously, a couple going to Palo or Remy might also choose the matinee, but again that's not a lot of seats.

The ultimate problem is that they built the theatre too small. It holds slightly less than 1/3 of the normal number of guests on the ship, and there's no way to give everyone a chance to see the show in fewer than 3 performances. But if a repeat of the main stage show is the choice, I'd expect a variety performer in another large venue simultaneously. It becomes a matter of how much can they "cut" and still charge the premium price.

I agree.

As someone who only checks Cruise Critic every now and then, I am interested: Have there been a lot of complaints recently about people not fitting into the theatre?

While the maths might not add up, there are many cruisers who choose not to attend shows (my son was one of them as he preferred the kids club).

During our sailing each show was shown twice and there always appeared to be empty seats. Admittedly it was not a full capacity sailing, but it was also when the Fantasy was quite new and the shows were new to most sailers.

I too am wondering what the main reason for the change is.

I agree.

As someone who only checks Cruise Critic every now and then, I am interested: Have there been a lot of complaints recently about people not fitting into the theatre?

While the maths might not add up, there are many cruisers who choose not to attend shows (my son was one of them as he preferred the kids club).

During our sailing each show was shown twice and there always appeared to be empty seats. Admittedly it was not a full capacity sailing, but it was also when the Fantasy was quite new and the shows were new to most sailers.

I too am wondering what the main reason for the change is.

I'm not sure if you read the entire thread....Three of the 4 ships have or are getting a new show, and each of those is very popular. The issue is that 2 of the shows are now running 4 times rather than twice--people are asking why. They are also feeling that they are not getting as much entertainment as on previous cruises.

Yes, when you look around the theatre, there are lots of empty seats. However, these are mostly "single" seats, while families like to sit together. At least a portion of them were "saved" seats (if you asked the person next to the empty seat) and the supposed family member never showed up. Yes, I know there is a rule against saving seats, but it isn't enforced by DCL unless totally egrigious like the kid trying to save 18 seats that we encountered. So, unlike a land based theatre with assigned seats, many of these "empties" are seats no one wanted or were told they couldn't have!

Believe runs only on the Fantasy and Aladdin is new...so these are the shows that most Fantasy guests want to see, whether they are new to DCL or first timers on the Fantasy. DCL is doing this as a trial and has added MANY questions about the increased showings to the comment card for those cruises. They are just trying to figure out how to keep happy as many people as possible while simultaneously keeping costs down, etc.

I did read the whole thread and understand the issue. What I was wondering is if there have been a lot of complaints about people not fitting into the theatre? There weren’t any that I remember in the year between The Fantasy being built and me cruising on it, so I wonder what has changed.

Also, has there been changes with Aladdin? I saw it on the Fantasy over 5 years ago.

Also, has there been changes with Aladdin? I saw it on the Fantasy over 5 years ago.

You know, you are right! All I could remember from the Fantasy was "Wishes" and "Believe," and couldn't come up with what the third one was. And I found those two among the least impressive DCL shows on any ship.

That does make things harder to understand, since no, nothing has changed on the Fantasy. Beauty and the Beast will start in November on the Dream--that may cause some seating issues if there are only 2 showings.

You know' date=' you are right! All I could remember from the Fantasy was "Wishes" and "Believe," and couldn't come up with what the third one was. And I found those two among the least impressive DCL shows on any ship.

That does make things harder to understand, since no, nothing has changed on the Fantasy. Beauty and the Beast will start in November on the Dream--that may cause some seating issues if there are only 2 showings.[/quote']

Aladdin & Disney's Believe have been showing on the Fantasy since it first sailed in March 2012. That was my point to starting this thread. That was a link for Fantasy Navigators I posted. I was on the Fantasy a couple of years ago and I'll be on it again Dec 23 2018. Seats didn't appear to be a problem then and as previously stated some people don't come to all of the shows for various reasons.

I'm not in favor of repeating the shows on back-to back nights. It would never happen, but I always wished they had 3 performances nightly - with the the 3rd being after second seating dinner (so roughly 10:00 or 10:15pm). There is so little else going on around the ship at that time. We always have second seating for dinner and would love to still be able to see the shows after dinner and free up our pre-dinner evening time when there is a lot more going on (character greets, game shows in D Lounge, or just extended pool time while half the ship is at early dinner, etc.). Besides, "dinner and a show" - in that order - just seems more natural as opposed to "a show and dinner".

I'm not in favor of repeating the shows on back-to back nights. It would never happen, but I always wished they had 3 performances nightly - with the the 3rd being after second seating dinner (so roughly 10:00 or 10:15pm). There is so little else going on around the ship at that time. We always have second seating for dinner and would love to still be able to see the shows after dinner and free up our pre-dinner evening time when there is a lot more going on (character greets, game shows in D Lounge, or just extended pool time while half the ship is at early dinner, etc.). Besides, "dinner and a show" - in that order - just seems more natural as opposed to "a show and dinner".

They did do the 3 shows a night thing when the Dream & Fantasy were first in service. Because the theater on that class ship isn't large enough to hold 1/2 the passenger compliment for only 2 shows a night. So you had the choice of show before or after either dinner seating. It didn't work out well, as the bulk of the people wanted that "dinner and show" sequence, but didn't want a show that late at night.

And the 3rd show wasn't filling up much. So DCL opted to use the same format as on the Magic class ships.

They did do the 3 shows a night thing when the Dream & Fantasy were first in service. Because the theater on that class ship isn't large enough to hold 1/2 the passenger compliment for only 2 shows a night. So you had the choice of show before or after either dinner seating. It didn't work out well, as the bulk of the people wanted that "dinner and show" sequence, but didn't want a show that late at night.

And the 3rd show wasn't filling up much. So DCL opted to use the same format as on the Magic class ships.

The Dream and Fantasy can't even seat 1/3 of the normal number of guests in the WDT.

In 1998, the Magic had 3 shows each night and you had tickets indicating which you were assigned to, despite the fact that the WDT on the Magic and Wonder hold just under 1/2 of the normal guest load. That system didn't last long, and they went to the two shows per night that has continued ever since.

But the point of the thread isn't to review history, it is WHY do they feel they need 4 shows now?

The Dream and Fantasy can't even seat 1/3 of the normal number of guests in the WDT.

In 1998' date=' the Magic had 3 shows each night and you had tickets indicating which you were assigned to, despite the fact that the WDT on the Magic and Wonder hold just under 1/2 of the normal guest load. That system didn't last long, and they went to the two shows per night that has continued ever since.

But the point of the thread isn't to review history, it is WHY do they feel they need 4 shows now?[/quote']

Passenger load on Dream class ships - 4,000. WDT capacity - 1,340. That is 1/3 of the passenger load. Probably designed that way with the 3 show format in mind.

Passenger load on Magic class - 2,713. WDT theater capacity - 977. Also roughly 1/3 of passenger load. They started with the 3 shows to be able for everyone to get into at least one of the shows. But, apparently, found out that wasn't necessary. Same thing when the new ships joined.

Since the repeated shows are on the first and last nights (replacing the Welcome Aboard and Farewell shows) I'm thinking they're reworking what they're going to offer those nights and it's not ready.

Edited by Shmoo here

Your numbers are a little different from those I found, but "close enough for government work" as to theatre seating. As to ship capacity...the only tie the Magic has cruised with 2700 guests was the maiden voyage in July, 1998. To get that figure, every available bed has to be full--no families of 3 in rooms that hold 4, etc. The normally quoted "capacity" that DCL lists for the Magic and Wonder is 2500, the similar figure for the Dream and Fantasy is the 4000 that you quoted.

Put another way, The Magic has 875 guest cabins, the Fantasy 1250. The odd thing is that the capacity of 2500 calculates to 2.85 guests per cabin while the 4000 on the Fantasy calculates to 3.2. Perhaps the Fantasy has a lower percentage of 3 person cabins. Even using the 2700 figure, the Magic calculates to under 3.1 guests per cabin. Interesting trivia.

Edited by moki'smommy

Your numbers are a little different from those I found' date=' but "close enough for government work" as to theatre seating. As to ship capacity...the only tie the Magic has cruised with 2700 guests was the maiden voyage in July, 1998. To get that figure, every available bed has to be full--no families of 3 in rooms that hold 4, etc. The normally quoted "capacity" that DCL lists for the Magic and Wonder is 2500, the similar figure for the Dream and Fantasy is the 4000 that you quoted.

Put another way, The Magic has 875 guest cabins, the Fantasy 1250. The odd thing is that the capacity of 2500 calculates to 2.85 guests per cabin while the 4000 on the Fantasy calculates to 3.2. Perhaps the Fantasy has a lower percentage of 3 person cabins.[/quote']

I got the numbers from DCL info sheet http://dclnews.com/fact-sheets/2012/12/19/disney-wonder-fact-sheet/