Eden Rock or Sunset House for snorkeling?

houseflipper48

both are very good based on your self description ... and similar in profile from the aspect of depth, length of swim etc

So, I'd offer this: EDEN is closer to the ship ... so most folks who want a DIY will stop here in addition to the 'tours' looking for the least travel time. EDEN can get crowded .....

OTOH, with Sunset being just a few minutes down the road (I've walked it MANY times), it has WAY fewer folks on even the most crowded cruise ship days. AND it has the advantage of "My Bar" on property ..... and one of the best (if not THE best) bars and lunch/dinner spots on the island. This IS where the local folks go .....

check Sunset's web page ... menu for the bar is available there too ..... note prices are in CAYMAN DOLLARS .... $1US is $.8 CI ... or your US $20 is $16 CI. If looking at prices in CI ... figure a 20% conversion factor add on ... and then another 20% for tip to get to US price.

• 2 weeks later...
both are very good based on your self description ... and similar in profile from the aspect of depth, length of swim etc

So, I'd offer this: EDEN is closer to the ship ... so most folks who want a DIY will stop here in addition to the 'tours' looking for the least travel time. EDEN can get crowded .....

OTOH, with Sunset being just a few minutes down the road (I've walked it MANY times), it has WAY fewer folks on even the most crowded cruise ship days. AND it has the advantage of "My Bar" on property ..... and one of the best (if not THE best) bars and lunch/dinner spots on the island. This IS where the local folks go .....

check Sunset's web page ... menu for the bar is available there too ..... note prices are in CAYMAN DOLLARS .... $1US is $.8 CI ... or your US $20 is $16 CI. If looking at prices in CI ... figure a 20% conversion factor add on ... and then another 20% for tip to get to US price.

Thank You for the info!! So, in your opinion the snorkeling would be about the same? We prob can only make it to one place, as we are there only a short time.

the two spots are about 900 yards apart on the same stretch of the reef, the first drop off in the area south of the port. Depth will be the same. If there is any swell it will be the same at both spots. Current is very unusual on Grand Cayman (if conditions are poor both sites will 'close' their entry points by blocking or removing the ladders. IME if folks try to go in anyway folks from the dive shops will come out and ask you NOT for safety reasons. This is not common but I have experienced mostly in winter and spring ... the same conditions that usually make ships skip as tendering is also dangerous)

Eden / Devil's Grotto is well known for several 'swim thrus' in the reef but these are best explored by DIVERS as the depth will be 30 foot plus ... only very very experienced snorkelers should even think of entering one ... I wouldn't except with a tank!!!

IME is is very common to see a crowd at EDEN and not in the least bit unusual to see fewer than a half dozen divers at Sunset ... I've often sat at My Bar and watched several boats visiting Eden at the same time, with dozens of snork / divers each ... while there might be 4 or 6 divers gearing up for a shore dive at Sunset .... what a difference 1000 yards makes.

I have never been to Grand Cayman when I did not visit Sunset and My Bar .... my favorite place on the island.

Critter wise I'd not say one is better. You never know what you might run into. Not long ago Sunset reported there was a Manta making regular visits, I've seen nurse sharks at Eden a couple of times, Eagle and Sting rays at both places, Eden draws clouds of silversides in some of the swim thrus (there's a famous National Geographic cover shot of this). At Sunset you can visit Cathy Church' studio where she has a bunch of pictures for sale (very famous u/w photogopher).

Edited by Capt_BJ