Bangkok. Which airport ?

Tranquility Base

We are docked overnight at Klong Toey port.

We are disembarking on the 2nd day and flying straight out.

We have the choice of flights from both the new Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport and the old Don Muang (DMK) airport.

Looking at the map it would seem quicker / easier to get to the new BKK airport from the ship.

Is this correct?

Early in the morning about how long would this trip take ?

Thanks.

Traffic in and around Bangkok is quite bad. The advantage to BKK is that you will be going against traffic somewhat, while you have to fight traffic going into Bangkok to get to DMK, though you're almost in the midst of it at the port, so it shouldn't take much more time to get to DMK. I'd allow an hour+ in the morning though it could take half that time but can quite fathomably take a lot longer. The expressways are close by but getting onto them is the problem. Day of week also matters.

For a matter of record, I took a taxi a few weeks back from near the SW corner of BKK to DMK. Took pretty much an hour (the cab driver was using the route suggested by Grab.com and using a fixed fare) to the expressway right by the port (we started just after 9a on a Thursday) and then 1/2 hr to DMK once we got pass the jam just the other side/west of the port. So the trip took 1 1/2 hrs and I was already scouting out alternates- but the airline check in, passport control and security at DMK took next to no time (flying Malindo - Air Asia is a completely different story).

Thanks CC, that is helpful.

It is a Monday.

I'm quite flexible with departure times so we'd probably try for something around midday and see what options come up.

Looks like the choice of airport won't matter hugely as long as we allow plenty of time.

I'll obviously check with the cruise line regarding any likely transfers also.

However, if we needed to use the taxi option, I'm wondering what that would be like from an industrial port such as Klong Toey ??

Lots of taxis around unless the weather is bad (i.e., heavy rain). You can use Uber or you can use Grab (I use the latter and hardly ever the former) which works with licensed taxis and is very reliable.

The taxi fare shouldn't run more than USD 15-20 including a good tip. The last trip I took for THB 600 including a ~10% tip.

We have flown in and out of both a few times.

We have found that DMK is easier to navigate and to get through security. Could just be a coincidence since our departures from BKK have always been when a slew of other carriers are lifting off for HK, Narita, etc. Very busy. DMK...not so much. but is is a much older airport with few amenities.