Car rental near Fort Lauderdale port

rvoice100

hi all we will be driving a rental down from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale for our cruise. Is there many car rental companies close by?

Hertz from Crown Plaza Hotel

Avis from Pier 66

Budget on 17th in shopping center next to Renaissance Hotel

Sixt further up 17th.

Thrifty/Dollar just out western port exit.

Turn the car in right at the airport. The walkway to the terminal is underground and a few steps away.

No reason I can see for the OP to go to FLL to turn in their rental....easier to turn in at an off sight location and use their comp shuttle to port or take a taxi.

hi all we will be driving a rental down from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale for our cruise. Is there many car rental companies close by?

I should have mentioned that all the rental agencies listed in post #2 have shuttles to the cruise terminals, whereas I don't believe any of the rental agencies at the FLL airport have cruise terminal shuttles anymore.

Alamo is most likely the closest to the port and they have a free shuttle. Exclusively use them for this reason, they are VERY fast and very reasonably priced. I usually drop off bags at the port to the porters and then drive the vehicle to Alamo (less than 5 mins) with my carry-on and grab the shuttle back to port!

Hertz at the Ft. Lauderdale Port Everglades will give you a free shuttle to the cruise ship. It's located at 455 Southeast 24th Street. I wouldn't use them for pick up, but for drop off it was OK.

No reason I can see for the OP to go to FLL to turn in their rental....easier to turn in at an off sight location and use their comp shuttle to port or take a taxi.

Appreciate the airport is within sight of the cruise terminals...

I should have mentioned that all the rental agencies listed in post #2 have shuttles to the cruise terminals, whereas I don't believe any of the rental agencies at the FLL airport have cruise terminal shuttles anymore.

When did they stop? Shuttle was still running in February.

We rent with National. My husband has a corporate rate and we get a full size for like $33.00 a day unlimited mileage. Does not matter where we rent it, could be National at Orlando airport, Miami Airport, whichever airport, all we do is return car to National at FLL airport and jump on their free shuttle (which is a large bus) but you have to have your rental agreement with you to board the bus and off you go to the pier. Same thing holds true when you return from your cruise at Port Everglades, have your National Car Rental reservation with you (the new one for the new car rental and you jump on bus for free to FLL airport).

• 4 months later...
When did they stop? Shuttle was still running in February.

I rented a car for my disembarkation at the Budget Rental location at the FLL airport. I did it because the rental was cheaper there and don't want to change at this point. Cars are becoming more expensive for my time period. Is there is shuttle to go from the port to the airport rental area? I have seen a variety of responses so far. It seems there might be, although not every company subscribes to the shuttle service. I have tried to call the office directly but after a few rings the national company responds but they don't know the answer. If not I will taxi or Uber to the rental area.

I rented a car for my disembarkation at the Budget Rental location at the FLL airport. I did it because the rental was cheaper there and don't want to change at this point. Cars are becoming more expensive for my time period. Is there is shuttle to go from the port to the airport rental area? I have seen a variety of responses so far. It seems there might be, although not every company subscribes to the shuttle service. I have tried to call the office directly but after a few rings the national company responds but they don't know the answer. If not I will taxi or Uber to the rental area.

No Budget shuttle from the port to the airport.

• 1 month later...
Budget on 17th in shopping center next to Renaissance Hotel

Quick update which may be helpful to some:

- The Budget Car Rental on 17th Street Quay Shopping Center has moved across the parking lot *into* the Renaissance Hotel and does not offer cruise shuttle (Budget location code: F07)

- The location at 2520 Miami Road is shared with Budget / Avis / Payless and DOES offer the cruise shuttle (Budget location code: EV3.) This location is very close to the cruise terminals.

Budget / Avis / Payless is consolidating the cruise business into the Miami Road location.

Quick update which may be helpful to some:

- The Budget Car Rental on 17th Street Quay Shopping Center has moved across the parking lot *into* the Renaissance Hotel and does not offer cruise shuttle (Budget location code: F07)

- The location at 2520 Miami Road is shared with Budget / Avis / Payless and DOES offer the cruise shuttle (Budget location code: EV3.) This location is very close to the cruise terminals.

Budget / Avis / Payless is consolidating the cruise business into the Miami Road location.

Thank-you very much for the updated info.:)

Thank-you very much for the updated info.:)

Personally I’m still inclined to use the Renaissance Budget office since it may be a little less hectic than Miami Road. And the cost of a taxi / Uber is offset by a direct trip to the ship and scoring a better table at the WindJammer. :)

Personally I’m still inclined to use the Renaissance Budget office since it may be a little less hectic than Miami Road. And the cost of a taxi / Uber is offset by a direct trip to the ship and scoring a better table at the WindJammer. :)

I've not tried the Miami Rd facility yet. Hopefully there are more shuttles there and it's a larger office than Avis has at the Pier 66.

Two weeks ago, we rented from Budget(Fast break saves time) at MCO(Orlando airport), and drove to Ft Lauderdale. We turned in the car following day right outside cruise terminal on Miami Road. Took shuttle to cruise terminal. On our return from Allure, we rented from FLL Budget location, because it was MUCH less expense. The taxi to FLL was $12.50. We drove back to MCO for our return flight. If you use toll roads, there will be addional fees, but you can use non toll roads. We did non toll going and toll returning. We saved a lot of money buying airline tickets to/from MCO, and were staying a night precuise so had plenty of time to get there. We could have chosen any hotel. On our return, we drove the toll road and arrived a little faster.:)

I've not tried the Miami Rd facility yet. Hopefully there are more shuttles there and it's a larger office than Avis has at the Pier 66.

I don't know about Avis, but at Budget, we were the only two on the shuttle to the ship. There was a LONG line of people waiting to rent cars that morning around 10:00 AM, so we were happy we had chosen to pick up at FLL the next week.(last Sunday)

I don't know about Avis, but at Budget, we were the only two on the shuttle to the ship. There was a LONG line of people waiting to rent cars that morning around 10:00 AM, so we were happy we had chosen to pick up at FLL the next week.(last Sunday)

Thanks for the tip, that might come in handy for us.:)

Thanks for the tip, that might come in handy for us.:)

You're welcome. It definitely saved us time and money. Remember to fill up car before returning.....something we ALWAYS DID, until last Sunday! $9.99 a gallon for Budget to fill up!! There went our savings!:loudcry: I guess we were both still on "cruise brain"!