Dumb question--For the Table

no1racefan1

While heeding the advice of fellow CC'ers is a good idea, I always make up my own mind... so if you think you might like to try the pie, order 2 desserts- the pie and a backup you would like! That way if the pie really isn't to your taste, you have the fall back dessert! and if you like both, so much the better!

I like the way you think!

We ordered Chocolate Melting Cake "for the table", and it was the perfect size for three, maybe four people. We also had a creme brulee served that way, and even for a die-hard custard fan, it was a LOT! The dish is about 7 or 8 inches across, I believe.

Have a great cruise!

We ordered Chocolate Melting Cake "for the table", and it was the perfect size for three, maybe four people. We also had a creme brulee served that way, and even for a die-hard custard fan, it was a LOT! The dish is about 7 or 8 inches across, I believe.

Have a great cruise!

Interesting. Have only seen creme brulee made in individual portions.

Have a great cruise!

So everyone is inserting their spoon in the CMC and double dipping??

I might be making myself sound dumb here...

You know how on the dessert menu, at the bottom, it says For the Table and lists the pie of the day? Does this mean the whole table has to get pie in order to have some?

DH and I sat at two-tops on our last cruise, so we never ordered pie. We thought it had to be a whole pie for the table. BUT we both really like pie, so I'd like to know before our next cruise if it is considered a 'faux pas' to order pie just for us ;p

No you can order what you want.

No you can order what you want.

So happy you cleared this up, the previous 29 posts all saying the same thing had me somewhat in doubt.

Sharing the Creme Brulee family style poses the same problem of double dipping as the warm melting cake. Besides, it's not like these desserts were ever presented table side. If they were, then the server would be dishing up portions from a side cart and individually plating and serving them to the guests. The corporate types in Miami didn't think this "For the Table" concept through.

So happy you cleared this up, the previous 29 posts all saying the same thing had me somewhat in doubt.

Sharing the Creme Brulee family style poses the same problem of double dipping as the warm melting cake. Besides, it's not like these desserts were ever presented table side. If they were, then the server would be dishing up portions from a side cart and individually plating and serving them to the guests. The corporate types in Miami didn't think this "family style" concept through.

Would be a little difficult to dish out portions of the Chocolate Melting Cake when it's all liquid inside don't you think? I agree about them not thinking it through. One of the dumbest things they ever came up with.

Would be a little difficult to dish out portions of the Chocolate Melting Cake when it's all liquid inside don't you think? I agree about them not thinking it through. One of the dumbest things they ever came up with.

Yes, of course it would not be practical with the cake and I was adding it wouldn't be practical with the creme brulee either. The only dessert I recall that was semi-presented "For the Table" on Carnival was the Baked Alaska when the flaming cakes were walked through the dining room with the room lights lowered. Then the cakes were returned to the kitchen and sliced for serving. Guests still had the option of ordering another dessert or both so it was a win-win. Maybe Carnival should try something similar to that again. Less staff dancing one night and more dessert presentations! :)

Yes, of course it would not be practical with the cake and I was adding it wouldn't be practical with the creme brulee either. The only dessert I recall that was semi-presented "For the Table" on Carnival was the Baked Alaska when the flaming cakes were walked through the dining room with the room lights lowered. Then the cakes were returned to the kitchen and sliced for serving.

Forgot about the Baked Alaska. Aahhhh, the good old days :D

Forgot about the Baked Alaska. Aahhhh, the good old days :D

You got me to thinking that Carnival should partner with major manufacturers of sweet confections for cross-marketing purposes. I envision staff dressed up as Mrs. See's or Fanny Farmer walking from table to table offering complimentary chocolate truffles and candies to guests in the dining room. Carnival could save some money too because some guests wouldn't order dessert because they were too busy gobbling chocolates. :hearteyes:

That same night a Steward named Russel Stover could leave chocolates on our pillows and those wouldn't cost Carnival anything either. Hey! It could happen.

You got me to thinking that Carnival should partner with major manufacturers of sweet confections for cross-marketing purposes. I envision staff dressed up as Mrs. See's or Fanny Farmer walking from table to table offering complimentary chocolate truffles and candies to guests in the dining room. Carnival could save some money too because some guests wouldn't order dessert because they were too busy gobbling chocolates. :hearteyes:

That same night a Steward named Russel Stover could leave chocolates on our pillows and those wouldn't cost Carnival anything either.

Too funny. You know someone would complain about the Russell Stover chocolates even if free.

Yes, of course it would not be practical with the cake and I was adding it wouldn't be practical with the creme brulee either. The only dessert I recall that was semi-presented "For the Table" on Carnival was the Baked Alaska when the flaming cakes were walked through the dining room with the room lights lowered. Then the cakes were returned to the kitchen and sliced for serving. Guests still had the option of ordering another dessert or both so it was a win-win. Maybe Carnival should try something similar to that again. Less staff dancing one night and more dessert presentations! :)

Once upon a time they also made cherries jubilee in the DR. Princess still does that.

I'm not really sure why one would want to share dessert when everyone can have their own for free...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DH and I will share a dessert to minimize waste and minimize our calories (or if there are two we want to try we will each order one and share). I don't mind sharing with my spouse, but wouldn't want to with others;)