"Straw" Markets

Lady Vidora

First of all, I don't want to get into a debate about "legitimate" designer goods, I dont care:) .

anyway, a friend of mine mentioned that on her cruise she got some designer knockoffs at something called a "straw market" in the Bahamas. Her purse looked like the real thing inside and out. I will be going on the November 25th Princess cruise out of Galveston to Roatan, Cozumel, Belize and costa maya. Are there markets like that in those places? Are they close to the ship? I'm just so giddy about this possibility....my friends would LOVE even the fake stuff, too...so I'm thinking we can get a bunch of Christmas shopping done!

I dont have any information about the Caribbean ports, but while in Europe in September, we were warned that we could be fined $3000 Euros (about $3500 US) for purchasing fake goods. Not only do you have to worry about getting caught during the purchase, but you also have to get through customs. Just keep that in mind, something to think about.

Guest Host Tink

My information may be out of date, but it was my understanding that the Straw Market in Nassau went up in flames about 5-6 years ago and has never been rebuilt. I have heard that St. Thomas has good deals on things.

Please don't let this degenerate in a "real" versus "fake" thread. I just want to know about the shopping at the ports.

Anyway, to those that did post about that, is this something that varies from day to day, or are the markets (except for the one that burned down) usually in a set place? I'm looking forward to getting some good deals, but I'm not quite as interested in those little touristy items that no-one would want except people like me who actually visited the islands :D . Do most ports in the Caribbean have shopping right near where you get off the ship? We're just wondering, if we have to travel, if there is a particular port where it would be nicer to just shop and wander around, rather than get an excursion AND try to shop. Our goal is to NOT be stressed about getting back to the ship on time since this is our first cruise. But I figure there's a few of you guys and gals who know some shopping secrets ;) .

We were just in Nassau in October. We went into a "knock off" purse store there. We just walked there, and it wasn't very difficult to find.

The knock offs IMHO were ok. They were still $100 to $150 bucks a piece. To me they all looked pretty obviously like poorly made fakes.

I am confused. You say you are going in November .. I am assuming November 2006??

Trouble is in the intervening year the ports and stores and rules can change a bit .. so current information will be very old next fall/winter.

Now if you want knock-offs ... go to Hong Kong! That is the land of fakes! And also REALY stuff at decent prices.

If you are planning to purchase several gift items .. take a couple of your own shopping bags along with you .. even plastic grocery store ones. I have seen (HKG) that the 'fake' places tend to use one color bag .. and this identifies you to other vendors on the street as a potential mark. Put your purchases into Safeway or Target or even Wallgreens bags so that you will not be a walking mark for others to approach!

Yeah, not until nove 2006, I just get such a kick thinking about it so I'm already talking about it:D .

Now the shopping bag thing is a TIP!. awesome. A friend of mine has gotten some great things in Chinatown in New York. That's a place I gotta visit.

Okay, so now I'm adding target bags (because they are less see through than wal-mart bags) to my list.....;)

I don't care about the "real vs. fake" debate...however I really don't understand why women are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a purse. Obviously enough women are willing so the market continues to grow. My SIL carries Coach bags and is a little snooty about it. The girl works part-time at a cosmetic counter, she needs to get a grip. (IMHO).

When I get to work I throw my purse under my desk. I can't imagine paying $300 for a purse and then throwing it under my desk....:rolleyes:

We were in Nassau in Sept this year and the straw market is still there and flourishing. As you walk down the pier, make a right at the first street you come to (by the horse & buggy rides) and the straw market is about 2 blocks down. You can see it from the ship. It is very crowded and congested but, you can get some really good prices if you haggle. I got a Prada mini duffle for $30.00, 2 small Prada clutch's for $20.00 each and a LV wallet for $7.00. The Prada duffle was marked $100.00 so, you see how much you can haggle down.

The lady I work for is crazy about coach purses. It seems like she gets a new one every six months. When her last child was born, she just HAD to have this $350 coach diaper bag. It isn't even leather. I have to laugh at the irony every time I see her put a used diaper into it. I may balk at the price she pays for them, but, honestly, there really is a marked difference between the quality of her designer bags and my Target specials I can afford.

I suppose the same argument can be made for waterford crystal, 1000 count egyption cotton sheets, Mercedes', fine china, or expensive jewelry. Because wine tastes better out of a $100 glass. Expensive sheets are soooo yummy to curl up on. A ride in a Mercedes feels like riding on a quiet, comfortable cloud. And, nothing sparkles like a real diamond.

:)

Everyone is correct on many counts. There is still a straw market in Nassau, you can buy fakes in St. Thomas, but don't remember them on that Western itinerary which we were on 2 years ago and are going again.

The expensive fakes are better than the cheap ones, some are good quality leather. There are plenty of people who sell these in NY.

Also, with a Mercedes, Lexus or whatever, the $50,000 one is better than the one they sell for $25,000 or $30,000. The Chrysler 300C is not the same car as the Lexus or Infiniti that is in the same class but sells for $15,000 more. Prices are there for a reason generally, and its what you can afford, and want to pay for something.

I know what you mean about throwing under the desk....I don't quite know how to treat an expensive purse. Plus I'm fickle, I'd rather change my mind a lot and get a new 20-40 purse every year :-). sooooo...it really doesn't have to "wear well". I'll check out the port of call boards....especially as it gets closer. The one I have now gets a lot of comments and it's difficult not to say, "Thanks, it's a fake". hehehe.

But seriously, I have some teenage nieces that would LOVE some knockoff stuff. I thought it would be a great time to go christmas shopping. We are driving to Galveston so we won't be limited to carryone luggage and stuff:p

I don't care about the "real vs. fake" debate...however I really don't understand why women are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a purse. Obviously enough women are willing so the market continues to grow. My SIL carries Coach bags and is a little snooty about it. The girl works part-time at a cosmetic counter, she needs to get a grip. (IMHO).

When I get to work I throw my purse under my desk. I can't imagine paying $300 for a purse and then throwing it under my desk....:rolleyes:

I'm with you about spending that kind of money on a purse. I typically think anything over $15 is too much and usually buy my bags at flea markets or at Payless. However, my DIL and her family are big Coach fans and my son & dil bought me a Coach bag a few years ago - and I have been treating it just the way I treated the $15 bags - throwing it under my desk, putting it on the ground at barbecues, stashing it on the floor of my car, draping it over chair backs, etc - and I must say, it is about three years old, I've used it every day except when on cruises or Caribbean vacations (so, what 40 - 50 days out of 1000 that I didn't use it), and it still looks brand new. Not a hole, not a stain, not a rip, the lining is perfect still (and trust me, I stuff this bag - if Monty Hall still had Let's Make a Deal I'd be the pocketbook lady). However, I still cringed when a girl in a deli told me the bag was in the $300 range and just can't bring myself to spend that much on a bag! When this one finally wears out (and since it's a classic black it'll always be a classic), maybe they'll buy me a new one :).

Archived