Soda card questions from a new cruiser.

ams cruiser

I've read a few things on these boards (which I can't find anymore!) about soda cards, but am still confused.

How much would a soda card cost for a 7 day cruise on the Sapphire? Is there a plastic cup that you have to take everywhere on the ship when you want a soda, or will the bartender/waiter give you a new one if you don't have your cup with you? If you don't have a soda card, are you charged for sodas in the dining rooms (Anytime Dining) during meals, or are they included as a part of your meal?

(If there is already a thread on this somewhere, I'd appreciate the link. I tried to use the search tool, but I may not be doing it correctly, as I came up empty.)

Thanks!

My experience has been on other Princess ships, but they are generally the same on all Princess ships.

How much would a soda card cost for a 7 day cruise on the Sapphire? Plan on about $4 a day plus 15%

Is there a plastic cup that you have to take everywhere on the ship when you want a soda, or will the bartender/waiter give you a new one if you don't have your cup with you? There is a tumbler you can buy but you do not need it to get served. You flash your sticker and they provide a fresh glass if you do not have the tumbler.

If you don't have a soda card, are you charged for sodas in the dining rooms (Anytime Dining) during meals, or are they included as a part of your meal? You are charged... but you get a canned soda.

Have a great cruise....

My experience has been on other Princess ships, but they are generally the same on all Princess ships.

How much would a soda card cost for a 7 day cruise on the Sapphire? Plan on about $4 a day plus 15%

Is there a plastic cup that you have to take everywhere on the ship when you want a soda, or will the bartender/waiter give you a new one if you don't have your cup with you? There is a tumbler you can buy but you do not need it to get served. You flash your sticker and they provide a fresh glass if you do not have the tumbler.

If you don't have a soda card, are you charged for sodas in the dining rooms (Anytime Dining) during meals, or are they included as a part of your meal? You are charged... but you get a canned soda.

Have a great cruise....

Thanks, Chasetf! We're looking forward to it!

If you get the soda card' date=' get a drink to take with you to your meals. That way you won't have to buy one at the table.[/quote']

You don't have to buy it at the table if you have a sticker. When I have bought them, I showed it to my assist waiter, and he got me one. After the first night (Traditional Sitting) he had it waiting for me when I arrived for dinner. Plus he had the second one (refill) ready when I was ready for it. :D

Just a little heads up if you do buy the card which in my opinion is a good deal for many. As soon as you board is not the time to purchase the sticker. Make sure you are out to sea where you won't get charged local sales tax. For our 11 day New Years cruise thats $3.95 X 11 X 2 then plus tax. Thats a few bucks you can save.

Tim

Here is a link to a previous thread about soda stickers. It also contains a link to another thread about them. They have been MUCH debated as you will see!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=255532

Thanks, Redsgj, for the link. I had no idea it was such a hot topic!

How do you find these links? I hate to post questions if topics are already on the boards. I've tried scrolling through pages but didn't go far enough back. I also went to the search page but when I entered "soda card" on the search function, nothing came up.

Just a little heads up if you do buy the card which in my opinion is a good deal for many. As soon as you board is not the time to purchase the sticker. Make sure you are out to sea where you won't get charged local sales tax. For our 11 day New Years cruise thats $3.95 X 11 X 2 then plus tax. Thats a few bucks you can save.

Tim

Wow! I never thought about sales tax on a soda card. Thanks for the heads up!

I appreciate all of the helpful responses from everyone about this. I'm glad to hear I won't have to BYO soda to the dinner table if I purchase a card.

AMS, it could be why nothing came up is because you searched on "soda card". I noticed that the thread I gave you the link to was titled "soda cards" so I guess the search matches only the complete word.

FYI, it is not a separate card that you buy. It is just a sticker that they put on your regular cruise/key card.

I found the thread by searching on "soda sticker" and LOTS (as I said it is a well discussed topic ;)) of threads came up.

I use the "Search this Forum" button at the top of the thread list (just above the Announcements) to do the search. It is faster and you only get threads from the Princess forum.

AMS, it could be why nothing came up is because you searched on "soda card". I noticed that the thread I gave you the link to was titled "soda cards" so I guess the search matches only the complete word.

FYI, it is not a separate card that you buy. It is just a sticker that they put on your regular cruise/key card.

I found the thread by searching on "soda sticker" and LOTS (as I said it is a well discussed topic ;)) of threads came up.

I use the "Search this Forum" button at the top of the thread list (just above the Announcements) to do the search. It is faster and you only get threads from the Princess forum.

Thanks, Redsjg. I tried it and it worked! I'd never noticed that search button for a specific forum before. This will help a lot with future questions.:)

Tim

I was not aware of that fact.... Wonder.... is that true if I buy a drink at the bar they need to add sales tax tooo....:eek:

Anyone know ??

We found that the wait staff around the pools and common areas isn't as efficient if you're ordering a soda with a sticker, so we make it a point to stop and get a soda before we enter a show lounge, go lounge around the pool, or eat in the Horizon Court. Worked much better for us. The soda sticker is well worth the $$ for us. Bon voyage!

When I was on the Star Princess about a month ago, no one seemed less efficient. It was just a matter of how many people were waiting when I got there. I always got soda at the poolside bar next to the Horizon Court. Never waited more than 3 minutes. I liked the bigger cups they used.

We liked those bigger cups, too. I'd always get one on my way back to the cabin. Once I figued out not to wait for a waiter to wait on me, I was a happier cruiser! On our first cruise (Golden Princess 2-2-02) a number of times while on deck by the pool, etc, I would order a Coke and then never see the waiter again. Again, well worth the cost for us!

We liked those bigger cups, too. I'd always get one on my way back to the cabin. Once I figued out not to wait for a waiter to wait on me, I was a happier cruiser! On our first cruise (Golden Princess 2-2-02) a number of times while on deck by the pool, etc, I would order a Coke and then never see the waiter again. Again, well worth the cost for us!

When I have gotten the sticker I always find it quicker, even on the pool deck, to go directly to the bar rather than waiting for the waiter to come by and come back again. :D

Archived