Veranda On Baltic Cruise????

BLam104417

Can't comment on the weather in June as we did our cruise to the Baltic in September 05 but we booked a VA with the larger veranda (aft) on Westerdam and absolutely loved it. Even in September we got to use the veranda most days. Personally the extra cost was worth it.

Morgana

Is Stockholm on your itinerary?

I always take an inside cabin (and don't mind that a bit), but when I first got a glimpse outside on the sail into Stockholm all I could think of was this was a morning screaming out for a veranda. It's a four-hour sail up the archipelago; and four hours again on the sail out! It's one of the world's most beautiful rides.

I wouldn't presume to guess that your weather will be as nice, but if it is you won't be sorry if you have the veranda.

We sailed the Baltic in August in 1999. We had quite cool weather at all ports and I don't think we would have used the verandah much on that particular cruise though we did sit out on the promenade deck a few times.

Also it was very port intensive and we only had 2 sea days. Since that cruise we have had a verandah on most of our trips and having got used to a verandah we now wouldn't sail without one.

If you have never had a verandah, then you probably wouldn't miss it particularly on this cruise but if you have had one I would definitely have it again. We didn't have one in July when we went on the Transatlantic from Boston to Rotterdam because someone said it would be too cold and we wouldn't get to use it. We discovered that we missed it so much and now will never sail without one again.

Jennie

We sailed the Baltic last July on the Westerdam. It was extremely hot on our days in Tallinn and St. Petersburg. For the remainder of our cruise to Helsinki, Stockholm, Visby, Warnemunde and Arhus the weather was glorious. The verandah was enjoyed repeatedly in all ports except maybe St. Petersburg where our view was rather dismal and the mosquitoes were the largest I have ever seen! We kept the door to the verandah closed during our time there. I expect that the weather during a June Baltic cruise would make the verandah worthwhile. -g.

Here's another plug for a verandah stateroom. Once you've tried it, there's no going back. Our 2000 Baltic cruise was in early July, and most days ashore were uncomfortably warm (we live in the Seattle area, after all) but wonderful on the verandah as we got underway. June should be fairly nice. Even if you have to put a jacket on, there's nothing like watching the passing scenery from your own balcony. Sure, you can watch from the rails elsewhere on the ship, but not when you've crept out of bed in your nightgown at dawn to watch the ship dock.

We used our veranda on the Prinsendam in the Baltic many, many times this last July despite unfavorable weather. The transit through the Stockholm Archipelago is fabulous and truly not to be missed. Remember that you are dealing with MANY hours of light on a June cruise. (17 or so hours) It is absolutely wonderful to sit out on your deck in the muted light of the evening and watch the Baltic pass you by!!!:D :D

We did Baltic this past Aug/Sep on Oceania's Regatta.

Weather was fine, but as it was a very port intensive cruise, we opted for a standard oceanview rather than a balcony. I doubt very much that we would have gotten much use out of it - but then, I'm not sure I am a balcony fan - much prefer to be out on open decks and people watch while I watch the scenery.

Had a verandah on the Rotterdam this past August on a Baltic cruise and really enjoyed it! I echo Ruth's comments; the Stockholm archipelago is one of the most beautiful entries (and exits) into a port, twice as nice on a balcony with a cup of coffee:) Weather should be fine but there is always a chance of a shower in Northern and Western Europe that time of year. Hope you have an awseome cruise if you decide to take it!

I've done two Baltic cruises with verandahs on both. It is great to be able to step out at 4:30 am when in the Stockholm archipelago and take in the sites during sunrise. It's so nice to be able to do so in your bathrobe, and in the evening, to be able to sit there and watch the view again while sipping on a glass of vino!!

But, you really don't need one for St Petersburg. The port there is certainly nothing to look at, but the sites of the city will make up for it many times over.

Ah, I may have to do this a third time!

Archived