Dividing Room So Baby In Crib Can't See Us

MoneyLifeandMore

We're going on a cruise with our one year old in a few weeks. Our son normally goes to bed at 8PM and sleeps in his crib in his room. However, I doubt we're going to want to go to bed at 8PM.

We have considered buying strong magnets and hanging something from the ceiling, such as a thick shower curtain, to partition the part of the room the crib is in from the rest of the room. It wouldn't be perfect, but he wouldn't be able to see us. Will this work? Are the ceilings magnetic? Any other ideas to accomplish this goal?

Edited by MoneyLifeandMore

We used magnetic hooks and a shower curtain and an extra sheet around the pack n play (in front of couch in a balcony cabin) for my 15 month old. At the time if he woke up at any point in the night and could see us he would stand up and start crying. If he couldn't see us he would just go right back to sleep. The curtain worked great and he slept through the night and took his normal naps.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Check out this thread ... https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2088500

Also check post #'s 62 and 101 in this thread ... https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2140134

It's photobucket so you can't see her pics in her review, but I found a pic on Google ... https://goo.gl/images/h8kpNd

Here is her photobucket account ... http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/selivsey/library/?sort=9&page=1

The challenge is going to be that the bed is near the window, whereas the TV, bathroom, and cabin door will be near where the crib is, leaving you with nothing to do besides read.

When we cruised with our infant children, we would leave them in the stroller so we could still walk about the ship. They would just sleep in the stroller--or would stay awake longer, better matching our schedule. We also sailed frequently on Disney, which has an opposite arrangement of the cabin (bed nearest the door/bathroom) as well as a divider curtain.

I think you should go for it, and just continue to stay up and/or enjoy the ship.

CeleBrat

I'm pretty sure the deluxe oceanview cabins on Dream, Magic, and Breeze have a built-in curtain to divide the room in half.
No there's no curtain that divises the room. The Vista has family harbour suites that divide the bunk bed area from the king bed with a full wrap around curtain though.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, because we're in a DOV for 3 toward the front of the ship there is no included curtain. However, I think we'll figure out a solution based on everyone's suggestions. We'll also, of course, make sure we consider our son's safety per the couple of people that were worried. Worst case, we go to bed when he does.

If you're going to hang anything ..... You need to be sure your magnets are very strong.

I collect magnets from places we visit. On the Sunshine (and some other ships too) we found that papers or other stuff we tried to hang with souvenir magnets just slid slowly down the wall.

At home they are solid on the refrig but not in the ship cabin.

We cruised with our grandson (and his parents) in September, a little older than your little one (18 months old) and I have to say I was worried about how he would sleep. I had visions of his mum and dad having to go to bed at 7.00 without any dinner, but I was so wrong!

At home he appears to wake at the slightest noise, his parents tiptoe around and do everything they can to keep him asleep so I had concerns about him being up all night.

Well I needn't have worried! Although they had a small outside room (no balcony, couldn't afford that) he slept like the proverbial log. Not only that but he slept in his buggy after his tea and bath, so that we could all eat in the MDR together. He slept through all the noise, the music, the chatter, it was unbelievable. He was put in his buggy after his bath, then one of us walked him up and down the corridor till he dropped off, much to the amusement of the cabin stewards who would peer inside or smile conspiratorially as we went by. Then we would wheel him into the MDR, or to a bar.

His pack and play was at the foot of their bed but it wasn't a problem. He slept through everything. When they were ready to retire for the night they just transferred him, still asleep, into his bed. One thing we did find was that the mattress in the pack and play was awful so they they asked the steward who added a folded up duvet as extra padding which was much better

So I would suggest bringing a buggy your baby could sleep in and try to get out and about in the evening! Our grandsons buggy laid quite flat and he loved it.

Anyway, good luck on your cruise, hope all goes well, and push the boundaries, your baby could surprise you with his ability to adapt to new situations.