Can I request no room cleaning?

JackieSea

When I cruising I can totally change my sleep habits so I talk to the RS when I first meet them and tell them that I usually like the late cleaning because I will usually go to dinner but sometimes I fall asleep in the afternoon so I put the do not disturb and everything is fine. I am a neat person who learned to live in a 10x10 space so for me it is usually trash and towels. No matter which line I have been on they have always been accommodating and they have never touched anything that was not towels, trash, dirty dishes or changing the sheets. Good luck and enjoy

Wow kind of surprised at the debate I sparked! I've gathered that I'll have to speak with the room steward and maybe a supervisor to see what we can do. Maybe if I offer them an extra tip they'll go along? It's only a 5 day cruise, and like a previous person said, I definitely don't change my sheets and towels or clean the bathroom over a 5-day span at home so it just seems super unnecessary while on vacation.

I'd be happy to check in with the steward every day if they need to see that we're alive, and it's not like I'll be able to lock the door from the outside so they'd be able to get in if there's an emergency while I'm not there so I'm not really seeing why it'd be a huge deal. Hopefully I'll have a quick conversation with the room guy and we can reach an agreement.

Thanks all!

Please report back and let us know how your cruise went and if there was service or no service as per your request.

Also keep in mind the towels do not dry in the cabins, so you might at least want to find your steward once a day to swap them out :):D

When I cruising I can totally change my sleep habits so I talk to the RS when I first meet them and tell them that I usually like the late cleaning because I will usually go to dinner but sometimes I fall asleep in the afternoon so I put the do not disturb and everything is fine. I am a neat person who learned to live in a 10x10 space so for me it is usually trash and towels. No matter which line I have been on they have always been accommodating and they have never touched anything that was not towels, trash, dirty dishes or changing the sheets. Good luck and enjoy

Speaking of dirty dishes, I don't know how many times I had a glass with some left over watered down (from the ice melting) Diet Coke from the night before on my counter and they wouldn't take the glass because it still had a straw in it. Did they really think I was going to drink a quarter cup of room temperature soda that was now the color of rusty well water? Yuk! So now whenever I'm done with my drink, I put the straw in the trash and empty the cup.

I seem to always forget the first night and then when I see it still sitting there in the afternoon, the light bulb comes back on in my head and then I get it straight and they get it during the evening cleaning. You don't really have to be worried about them moving or throwing away things as it's more of an issue getting them to actually get rid of things you want them to. They definitely err on the side of caution.

Speaking of dirty dishes, I don't know how many times I had a glass with some left over watered down (from the ice melting) Diet Coke from the night before on my counter and they wouldn't take the glass because it still had a straw in it. Did they really think I was going to drink a quarter cup of room temperature soda that was now the color of rusty well water? Yuk! So now whenever I'm done with my drink, I put the straw in the trash and empty the cup.

I seem to always forget the first night and then when I see it still sitting there in the afternoon, the light bulb comes back on in my head and then I get it straight and they get it during the evening cleaning. You don't really have to be worried about them moving or throwing away things as it's more of an issue getting them to actually get rid of things you want them to. They definitely err on the side of caution.

Is that how you get them to take the 1/4 filled cups away?? I’ve had them sit there for two days before I put them next to my door outside. (Which I hate doing anyway)

Now I know to take the straw out! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is that how you get them to take the 1/4 filled cups away?? I’ve had them sit there for two days before I put them next to my door outside. (Which I hate doing anyway)

Now I know to take the straw out! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep! Took me awhile to figure it out! Straw gets thrown away and glass gets emptied. No confusion that way and works every time :D

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Just thank your lucky stars that you didn't ask a really controversial question. By now the post count would have been into the hundreds. Which controversial topics/questions, you ask? Try..........

Smoking on balcony's,

Can I eliminate my auto tips?,

Pre-tipping,

Chair Hogging,

What's 1 + 1?

:D

Ha. Don’t forget dress codes in the MDR!

I dont know if it's allowed. You can ask. I never have. I need at least fresh towels daily. And after ports... oh the sand :eek:.

I will say in 8 cruises I've only had items moved that were to help me or were in the way. Like others noted, I've had souvenir glasses washed out for me. On our last cruiae we were in a rush to dinner & I instructed my kids to shower, hang their bathing suits & change. They showered & changed but clearly never hung their suits. I found them in the sink. I fault my sloppy kids not the steward & felt embarrassed that they saw our room so sloppy. Also stuffed animals or toys my kids left wrapped in the sheets have been found on the desk or on the pillow. But every other item including half drunk drinks has been left untouched. They really don't move things if it's unnecessary.