*~*March STAR cruise CANCELLED... Trouble rescheduling*~*

DrVal

NCL cancelled our March 9, 2006 sailing of STAR. Our vacation weeks are locked in. We are using a cruise credit that we received as a result of problems we experienced on NCL Dream to Alaska this June. We feel NCL should provide a cabin on an NCL cruise during the week of March 9, 2006 for the same price we paid for our Star cabin -- the reason that's so important is because instead of getting a $39 one way Southwest/JetBlue ticket to Long Beach/Burbank/LA or driving for next to nothing, we have to incur 2 air tickets purchased through NCL.

WE are willing to pay for NCL airfare (we understand they contract with a third party) to our new port of embarkation (even though initially we had little to no transportation costs) -- ALL we are asking is for NCL to HONOR OUR STAR CABIN RATE on a new ship -- we are even FLEXIBLE about which ship and have agreed to move DOWN in cabin category.

We have been in contact with NCL representatives on numerous occasions. **This weekend we contacted, and were contacted by, an NCL representative that had been helpful, courteous and responsive in the past and we are hopeful for a positive outcome.**

We have reviewed the CruiseCritic posting guidelines and have posted the facts. We will respond to any questions or comments from posters that are similarly situated, but will not respond to the comments of others. Thank you.

WE are willing to pay for NCL airfare (we understand they contract with a third party) to our new port of embarkation (even though initially we had little to no transportation costs) -- ALL we are asking is for NCL to HONOR OUR STAR CABIN RATE on a new ship -- we are even FLEXIBLE about which ship and have agreed to move DOWN in cabin category.

Sounds like you will get a positive outcome. It seems as though you are being reasonable.

Good luck.

Sounds like you will get a positive outcome. It seems as though you are being reasonable.

Good luck.

Cruisinbunnies, Thanks for your reply. Have you ever been in a similar situation with NCL? If so, how was the issue resolved?

It’s a curious situation because although we were not past final payment, so we could have cancelled the cruise without penalty, NCL would still have benefited by having our deposit money to utilize at will.

In this case, since they cancelled, they have benefited by having our deposit money for months, to make payroll, buy supplies, pay down their debt, etc. yet they are giving us nothing.

I sure hope you or someone in a similar situation can offer some guidance. :confused:

I know that in another thread, when Pride of Aloha goes into an unscheduled drydock in Spring , 2006 and those cruises are cancelled by NCL, a member reported that that member’s travel agent was able to protect their cabin rate on Pride of America.

We'll keep this thread updated. :D

Have you ever been in a similar situation with NCL?

I was just refering to the fact that your request seems reasonable. The fact that you are posting about your troubles and are disclosing all of the relavent information makes this issue different to the incident you reported earlier on in the year.

You are now in negotiation and I wish you a positive outcome.

If you are willing to pay for and fly NCL air and accept a lower cabin category at the same price you prebooked for on the Star, it would seem to be a reasonable starting position for negotiations. We will see what NCL does for you. I am sure NCL will be reasonable.

You may have to book another date that is convenient to you as well.

It's kind of funny that this seems to drag on. I'm sure the CSRs at NCL are wanting this to be resolved. Nothing worse than not being able to close the book on this one.

NCL may have benefitted from holding your deposit money but so did you. It entitled you to hold the cabin of your choice. That is like saying that you would like interest on your tax refund. Not going to happen.:(

We sailed the Spirit in the spring. Flew in same day for the cruise. Luggage was delayed. DW unhappy because all of her cruise wear was delayed. NCL gave us each $200 for clothing and the airline covered $400 in expenses. Both parties stepped up, although I don't think NCL needed to do it to that degree. It's something we laugh about now (and I did at the time;) ). We learned from it and will not fly in on the same day as embarkation. NCL has earned our business as well. Besides that episode, the cruise was fantastic and we look forward to visiting NY and sailing on the Dawn in the Spring.

I know that I was very suspicious of your intensions of your earlier incident because you had made reference to taking a legal claim against NCL and because you did not fully disclose the nature of your malcontent. At least in this occasion, you are making some mitigations for yourself and NCL and seem to be giving full disclosure.

I'm still not sure if you should be posting this now. It may seem to be that you are fishing. I would wait until there is a solution before posting.

In all cases, no matter the degree of miscontent or blame, a reasonable approach to solving the issue usually garners a better response from the company, no matter the company. It seems as though you are on the right course.

Good luck.

We sailed the Spirit in the spring. Flew in same day for the cruise. Luggage was delayed. DW unhappy because all of her cruise wear was delayed. NCL gave us each $200 for clothing and the airline covered $400 in expenses. Both parties stepped up, although I don't think NCL needed to do it to that degree. It's something we laugh about now (and I did at the time;) ). We learned from it and will not fly in on the same day as embarkation.

We also learned that lesson the hard way. Went away, years ago, to a business conference and didn't want my business attire to wrinkle, so I packed it in all in my checked bag. Sure enough, my bag was delayed. I missed a few sessions, but it all worked out in the end because the airline delivered the bag directly to my hotel. Now, if heading to the tropics, I always pack a swim suit, some silkie quick-dry panties, shorts, tee or two, capris, and nicer blouse in my carry-on bag (just in case.) Once bitten, twice shy. :p

NCL may have benefitted from holding your deposit money but so did you. It entitled you to hold the cabin of your choice:( .

That's the point, we only benefit if we get to take the cruise. In this case, by cancelling the cruise, they've taken away the benefit. They held our deposit, but are not holding the cabin of our choice, or any cabin, for that matter. :eek:

We will see what NCL does for you. I am sure NCL will be reasonable.

We sure hope you're right! :rolleyes:

Good Luck in your endeavors!! We were on the first sailing on the Star with the Itinerary change. They gave us two days notice that we were not going to Acapulco and Ixtapa. So far we have received no response to our correspondence, ( Which I send to them twice a day.) about our displeasure of our cruise.

We were on the first sailing on the Star with the Itinerary change. They gave us two days notice that we were not going to Acapulco and Ixtapa. So far we have received no response to our correspondence, ( Which I send to them twice a day.) about our displeasure of our cruise.

Tequillasunrise: Thanks for the support. May I ask what exactly you are upset about?!? Is it that you missed Acapulco and Ixtapa?!? Was it the short notice?!? Was it that you didn't like the substituted ports: Mazatlan and Manzanillo?!? May I ask what you did while in all 4 ports?!?

I can understand your frustration. I know that we spend a long time planning our cruise and a port change is disruptive and disappointing.

Not sure this will make you feel any better, but from our perspective, you are a bit lucky. When we were on NCL Dream in Alaska this summer, we missed the port of Sitka and they did not substitute anything in its place. Also, as you've read, this time they cancelled our entire March 9th, cruise -- we'd be happy with a substituted port or two. :o

Since we were on Celebrity Mercury in November, we went to Acapulco, Ixtapa, Cabo, Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan and Manzanillo. We had the benefit of planning the trip months in advance, and in the end, had a wonderful time in each port (even in Manzanillo which is a new cruise stop and basically a container/shipping port). In Manzanillo, we were going to take the $3.00 bus to town and try to navigate around on our own, but instead were a bit adventurous and just jumped into a cab with a fellow shipmate. We found a great beach AND a cache of sea glass buried just below the surface of the sand -- a fantastic addition to our collection. If I've read correctly, you tendered into Cabo and Puerta Vallarta -- the other benefit of missing Ixtapa is that you didn't have to deal with tenders for 3 out of 4 ports... that's something! :rolleyes:

I hope NCL responds to your notes. Please come back and post the result of your communication so that the membership is updated. Thanks again for your support! :)

We are aware that mechanical problems can arise. We sailed the day after Thankgiving, two days earlier we were informed of the whole Azipod problem. Response from the 800# left alot to be disired. We did enjoy the cruise, and hind sight being what it is, we are upset more at the fact that we choose NCL over Carnival. We cruised on the Carnival Pride last year and visited Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. Had a great time. The Carnival Spirit, on their 8 day cruise stops at Acapulco, Ixtapa, and Manzanillo, hence our choice to go with NCL. We took the city tour in Manzanillo, swam with the Dolphins in Puerta Vallarta, went out on our own in Mazatlan, and took the 2hr coastal cruise in Cabo ( which turned partly into a whale watching adventure ) the boat captain spotted two whales and we followed them. Will keep you posted on any response from NCL.

It has been nearly one week since we spoke with our contact at NCL. As we previously reported, she was very friendly and courteous when we initially spoke with her a few months ago (while planning our Star cruise) AND once again last week when we explained our current situation. She believed she could help us. Unfortunately, as is the norm with NCL, one week later, she has not followed-up as promised.

This morning, we once again wrote to Colin Veitch. We'll continue to keep the membership updated.

She believed she could help us. Unfortunately, as is the norm with NCL, one week later, she has not followed-up as promised.

Since we last posted we received two very sincere and apologetic phone calls from an NCL Supervisor. We were notified that they are still working on our issue.

Hopefully, we'll have the issue finally resolved soon! :rolleyes:

Since we last posted we received two very sincere and apologetic phone calls from an NCL Supervisor. We were notified that they are still working on our issue.

Hopefully, we'll have the issue finally resolved soon! :rolleyes:

I'd say that by virtue of the fact that you've received these calls indicating that they're working on your issue, they are indeed trying to make sure they do their absolute best to handle your unusual situation in the very best possible way.

Archived