New to NCL Questions for Seasoned NCL Cruiser

nae418

Hello Everyone:

I would like to sail on NCL, I've been on Carnival, Royal, & Princess. I have some questions, I hope you can help me decide if NCL is for me. I've tried to find information on line, but I need to hear from people that has cruised with NCL. Thanks in advance.

1. Is there a Sports Bar on NCL ships that would show American Sports; NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA? all ships or some ships?

2. In the cabins, what TV channels are offered? any ABC, CNN, Fox, NBC or CBS?

3. Is the room service 24 hours and are there some free items and some items for a fee?

4. What kinds of entertainment could I expect to see after dinner? Vegas review type shows with singing and dancing, etc.

5. If I don't select Free Style dinning, would I have to select a specific time to eat in the dinning room.

6. Does NCL offer 24 hour Ice cream machine?

7. Some cruise lines offer free eats and fee eats, does NCL have more fee eats or free eats?

8. Is there a unlimited beverage program that includes liquor, how does that work? free drinks all day and night?

9. Does the cabin steward clean twice a day and provide fresh linen at least once a week?

10. If I didn't want room service, is there anywhere on the ship that offers free late night snacks, sandwiches, etc.

11. Would there a ironing room, coin operated washers/dryers available?

12. Lastly, does anyone have the activities guide that is delivered to your cabin? I would like to see a Sea Day guide and one when the ship is in a Port.

Thank you, any information you can share would be helpful! Thanks, Nae

I would suggest that you start out at NCL.com and read through the site. First read should be the Frequently Asked Questions.

NCL has a variety of ships in it's fleet. Some are smaller ships and some of them are mega sized. You should read through what some of them have to offer and narrow down what you are looking at, especially for dining, entertainment and staterooms. Many of your questions are too generic. While you will get answers to some of the questions, after you do some research you should ask questions that are a bit more specific. You'll get better answers.

To start off with on your questions, there are no laundry rooms on any ship however you can get an iron/ironing board from your steward of by calling housekeeping.

Cheers.

RE Question #5:

You don't "select" freestyle dining. It's automatic. I think you can make reservations if you like but you don't have to.

I don't understand question 7

Re question 10:

The buffet is generally open 24/7 albeit with a limited menu late at night. I'm not sure about O'Shehans which is a pub food type sit down restaurant.

Other info:

No formal nights

No coffee cards

Thank you The Other Tom:

Question # 7 - Are there more places on the ship you have to pay for food or are there more free places to eat?

No formal nights. ok, I could live with that.

No reservations for dinner. ok, I could live with that too.

This is good information! Thanks again!

Question # 7 - Are there more places on the ship you have to pay for food or are there more free places to eat?

If you look under dining for whatever ship you are interested in you will see what restaurants are complimentary and which ones are an surcharge. LIke ColinIllinois told you, there are many varieties.

I am not seasoned as I just had my first NCL cruise but I can offer a few answers, although answers to some of your questions may depend on what ship you end up choosing.

On our ship (Dawn) they did show a few football games. Otherwise, it was mainly soccer, hockey, etc. and with no sound. We were there when the World Series started but found out they do not have the rights to show baseball.

The TV channels in our room were pretty bad. Mostly news like MSNBC, CNN, BBC, Fox, etc. and 1 or 2 movies.

Room service is $7.95 service fee but continental breakfast was no charge (we didn't order it).

On our ship, there was hand dipped ice cream on the pool deck, not 24 hours.

NCL has quite a few specialty restaurants but many free options also.

NCL has a drink package similar to the other lines you have cruised on.

On our ship O'Sheehan's was open 24 hours.

Steward came twice a day.

Entertainment options will depend on what ship you choose.

I have been on Carnival, RCL and Princess and our NCL cruise was definitely one of our favorites--probably the most actual fun we've had on a cruise.

HTH!

1. Is there a Sports Bar on NCL ships that would show American Sports; NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA? all ships or some ships?

It’s been a long time since I was on an older ship, so I’m not positive about those. There are no sports bars per se. They do have NBA and NFL games on periodically though. I’ve seen them on the big screen in the atrium and by the pool and also at O’Sheehan’s. Selection is limited. There will be a game, but maybe not your game.

No major networks. Mothers is at least one news channel I think, but I have no idea which one. I honestly never turn on the tv. Too many other things to do. There are popular shows that run on a loop and a movie channel that does the same. There’s pay per view movies on demand also.

3. Is the room service 24 hours and are there some free items and some items for a fee?

Yes. Continental breakfast is free. Any other time or any other items have a 7.95 delivery fee per order. Number of items per order is unlimited.

4. What kinds of entertainment could I expect to see after dinner? Vegas review type shows with singing and dancing, etc.

Broadway type productions in the main theater as well as a crew review type welcome and going away show. On any Breakaway or Breakaway plus ship, there’s also some type of dinner theater show as well as comedy shows, dialing piano bar, and various singers at lounges and bars throughout the ship. And karaoke of course.

5. If I don't select Free Style dinning, would I have to select a specific time to eat in the dinning room.

There is no set dining on any NCL ship. It’s all freestyle. You can make reservations for the MDR’s if you want, but they’re not needed. You can request the same waiter every night if that’s your thing, but it isn’t guaranteed.

There are machines in the buffet. Honestly not sure if they’re 24 hours or not, but open most, if not all the time.

7. Some cruise lines offer free eats and fee eats, does NCL have more fee eats or free eats?

It’s about equal. You def Nicely won’t go hungry if you skip the specialty restaurants.

8. Is there a unlimited beverage program that includes liquor, how does that work? free drinks all day and night?

Yes. Free drinks (up to $15/drink - you pay the difference for anything over $15) from the time you board until about 2am the morning of disembarkation. You do have to pay taxes on drinks while you’re still in a US port on embarkation day.

9. Does the cabin steward clean twice a day and provide fresh linen at least once a week?

Yes, they clean twice per day. Clean towels up to twice per day unless you want to keep your used ones. Honestly, I have no idea how often the change the beds. Never really thought about it.

10. If I didn't want room service, is there anywhere on the ship that offers free late night snacks, sandwiches, etc

O’Sheehan’s is 24 hours. There are also late night snacks in the buffet, but only until 11 or 12.

No. Your room steward will bring you an iron and ironing board to your cabin on request though. You can use it for what you need and return it.

12. Lastly, does anyone have the activities guide that is delivered to your cabin? I would like to see a Sea Day guide and one when the ship is in a Port.

Yes, but I have absolutely no idea how to post them here. They’re floating around the boards though if you search.

Hope that helps!

Hello Everyone:

I would like to sail on NCL, I've been on Carnival, Royal, & Princess. I have some questions, I hope you can help me decide if NCL is for me. I've tried to find information on line, but I need to hear from people that has cruised with NCL. Thanks in advance.

10. If I didn't want room service, is there anywhere on the ship that offers free late night snacks, sandwiches, etc.

Thank you, any information you can share would be helpful! Thanks, Nae

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No sports bar on the Escape. We took a Oct cruise they did show some NFL games but no college games. I would grade American sports available on TV poor.

Free style dining is good but many places have an extra charge.

Beverage package in very good and includes most all.

Cabin steward twice a day

Guide cones every night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hope that helps!

Hello Everyone:

Thank you ALL for all of the information! Everyone's contribution was a big help! I have my eye on the "Bliss" and I'm looking forward to Freestyle dinning, and saving the money I would have spent for Formal wear. So excited!

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to all!

Dining just show up when ready to eat.

O'Sheehan's has food 24/7. On Bliss the 24 hr. Restaurant will have a new name.

Beverage Package all drinks up to 15.00 included. Over 15.00 you pay the difference +18% gratuity.

Example Chocolate Martini is 17.95

2.95 +18% gratuity =3.48

NCL has a Howl at the Moon ( Dueling Piano's)

Continental Breakfast is free from room service. 7.95 fee for others