So many things to decide on!

pookeycat

My fiance and I just booked our first ever cruise - August 12, 2006 on RC Radiance of the Seas. It will be our honeymoon and we both are extremly excited.

Thank goodness I found these boards becuase I think they will be a great help with trying to decide what all we want to do.

We also will have 3 days in Anchorage as we have an old friend that lives just north of there. Will definetly have to find some cool stuff to do while we are waiting to start out cruise!

Any reccomendation as to Whale watching? We have already decided that we want to do one of the tours...who would you reccomend??

Anything else that you would consider a "don't miss??"

Any reccomendation as to Whale watching? We have already decided that we want to do one of the tours...who would you reccomend??

Anything else that you would consider a "don't miss??"

If you only have 3 days, I suggest either driving to denali for two nights and taking the shuttle bus to fish creek and then stop at Talkeetna on the way back to anchorage and take a summit flight or glacier landing on McKinley.

As an alternative drive to Seward and do the 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour, where you will see whales, puffins, sea lions and calving glaciers, all up close. The alternative or additional whale trip most recommended on this board, to which I agree, is Capt Larry's Orca tour out of Juneau. You can search this board for further info on all these trips.

However with all that said, my first recommendation is to try to get more than 3 extra days for your land trip 5-7 would be a minimum.

I also strongly agree with Mike. If at all possible get more time for your interior portion. Highlight must do areas are Denali Park and Kenai Fjords in my opinion. Here are some photos that speak more than words. :) http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

As for whale watching, are you going to Icy Strait?? There and Juneau are the ports. http://www.orcaenterprises.com is my top vender. :)

If you are willing to invest considerable time, you can have good possibilities of sightings from your ship. Necessary are a good pair of wide angle binoculars, my clear preference are my 10x50's

I also recommend Capt. Larry (Orca Enterprises), but would add in a glacier landing via helicopter in Juneau. Orca can coordinate both to save you (drive) time in Juneau.

In Ketchikan, I'd recommend a flight see with Michelle at Island Wings. Had a great time with her last summer, soaring over the Misty Fjords, and landing on a pristine mountain lake for about a half an hour. Just breath taking.:)

Archived