St.Louis -> FLL/MIA in April: Would you take this fare?

hightownCO

Going on the Victory 4/9 and looking for air 4/8 (Sat) to 4/16 (Sunday/Easter). American has been running 390 per person and as of yesterday dropped to 334. This is NS, good times, and can fly into FLL and out of MIA which is what I want. SW has not released those dates as yet but would be connections and only to FLL.

Would you take this fare or hold out for SW.

Is anyone flying SW in March on the weekneds? What fares did you get? It looked like unless you were willing to travel mid week, the weekend fares were high. So maybe it doesn't make sense to hold out any longer.

But a few weeks ago, I saw some better airfares w/American during one of their sales that went through March. So maybe there's a chance that American would have some better discounts too.

Anyway, looking for whatever advise you might have or what you would do.

Thanks!

On the ITA site it shows this routing for $314.00.

Sort by plain-arrow.gifCostAirlineFrom/ToStopsDateFlight timesDurationClassWarnings1Details$314AmericanSTL to FLL

MIA to STL

nonstop

ATL

Sat, Apr 8

Sun, Apr 16

7:19a-11:02a

11:49a-4:20p

2h 43m

5h 31m

Coach

Coach

The last time I waited for fares to change, they did, $50.00 in the wrong direction!

The price you found is the BEST AA has to offer through April 30. There is limited availability in the outbound flight-class N. I can see a total of 9 seats available in N class. On the inbound, you are in G class. The cheap seats are gone inbound-classes S, N and Q.

Probably not a chance of a sale, as the cheap seats are already sold out on the inbound. And your time period is spring break, Easter, etc. etc. I would book the fare ASAP. Enjoy.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Sobore--It is 314 w/out fees/tax. That adds $10 per leg and it comes out to 334 (unless it's gone down in the last hour)

Greatam-Thanks for checking all the classes! How do you do that? I think you're right and it's not going to get any better.

SW may offer some good fares in April for midweek travel but doubt they will be much better and their's a convience factor to consider--NS vs connections--w/them.

So guess I'll buy the ticket.

Thanks again!

On the ITA site it shows this routing for $314.00.

Sort by plain-arrow.gifCostAirlineFrom/ToStopsDateFlight timesDurationClassWarnings1Details$314AmericanSTL to FLL

MIA to STL

nonstop

ATL

Sat, Apr 8

Sun, Apr 16

7:19a-11:02a

11:49a-4:20p

2h 43m

5h 31m

Coach

Coach

The last time I waited for fares to change, they did, $50.00 in the wrong direction!

I hate to quibble BUT. ITA uses all routings possible. Your routing involves two airlines, which would probably involve using a TA. And most TA's now charge a fee for booking air, so you would loose any benefit by using two airlines.

Trying to book 2 one ways yourself (your routing looks like an AA and Delta routing) would raise the price a lot, unless you call and get the EXACT fare codes and routing rules from both airlines reservation desk. And the phone call increases the price by at least $10.00. Another problem with your routing-plane leaves MIA at 11:49AM. That is cutting it a LITTLE close on a cruise. You would HAVE to be off the ship, ready to leave for the airport no later than 10:00AM. Yes, it would probably happen, but oh, the stress!!!

ITA is a VERY usefull tool to find options. But that is what it is-a tool. Trying to get the exact routings and rules shown on ITA booked elsewhere can be a real pain for the average person.

The OP's find on AA is probably the best possibility-two nonstops, through an AA hub. And great times-early afternoon departure to FLL and 1:00PM departure to STL.

Sorry, sobore, I was wrong on the ATL flight. It is AA through ATL, not a DL flight. But the same info on ITA applies to a lot of routings on ITA.

The 11:49AM return is just TOO close on a cruise. Probably could make it, BUT.

hightownCO,

About the fare classes-

I am in the logistics business and have access to databases which are not available to the general public ( our company pays for access).

But for an easy explanation-AA has the "rules" on their website when you put together an itinerary-just click on "rules", which will generally show fare class at the top. Then you can go to http://flyaow.com/classavailability.htm and check availability. This will only show Q7, B7, Y7, etc. But that means there are at least 7 seats in that fare class available. Takes some work and some poking around, but sometimes it is worth it. Enjoy

Well, I just bought the tickets. So am relieved that it's done but wondering if I'm going to be sick about the price in the future! Oh well, it's always a gamble and I've gotten some really great fares over the last year to balance things out.

Thanks again!

Archived