Social Media Internet Package Still Available on Getaway?

kayleighbayleigh

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7591

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder if there are any updates to this article. It was posted back in March and this Social Media Internet package was supposed to be offered fleetwide by this past summer but I don't see where it is offered to all the other ships yet.

Just onboard. You connect to the ships wifi and open a browser and all the internet options came up. I mainly used it for WhatsApp, but emails were coming through now and again. On some days it let me browse the internet too. Enjoy your trip!

Folks - please kindly re-read the original article from March 2018, that it was (is) a test on 2 ships of a new pricing model the Escape & Getaway, that COULD roll out in the summer (now, maybe it should read 2018) by Global Eagle E / formerly EMC ... that is expected to quadruple the satellite bandwidth)

The key words are "Test" and "Could" ... ;p :confused: :o :rolleyes:

It was NOT on the Breakaway 3 weeks ago and based on the info I have at the moment, it is status quo & nothing has changed - nothing happening with the testing yet on the ship. Ditto for the Gem.

Disappointed and not the answers some of us are hoping and looking for, but it is what it is. The Social Chat is the lowest tier model being test, on the Escape and Getaway, and limited.

Satellite connections are high latency and slow, much slower than your average cable broadband these days & lag behind fiber optics. This was promised in 2016 ... coming from NCL but never delivered to the end users; and renewed pledge again with 2017 coming to a close, I remain doubtful.

P.S. In Bermuda and Bahamas, we had great results and speed on either 3G and/or 4G HSPA+ connections at inexpensive pricing ... while at sea, one is a captive with no options on the cruise ship. Happy "hunting" for usable WiFi in the ports, that's free & secured.

Folks - please kindly re-read the original article from March 2018, that it was (is) a test on 2 ships of a new pricing model the Escape & Getaway, that COULD roll out in the summer (now, maybe it should read 2018) by Global Eagle E / formerly EMC ... that is expected to quadruple the satellite bandwidth)

The key words are "Test" and "Could" ... ;p :confused: :o :rolleyes:

It was NOT on the Breakaway 3 weeks ago and based on the info I have at the moment, it is status quo & nothing has changed - nothing happening with the testing yet on the ship. Ditto for the Gem.

Disappointed and not the answers some of us are hoping and looking for, but it is what it is. The Social Chat is the lowest tier model being test, on the Escape and Getaway, and limited.

Satellite connections are high latency and slow, much slower than your average cable broadband these days & lag behind fiber optics. This was promised in 2016 ... coming from NCL but never delivered to the end users; and renewed pledge again with 2017 coming to a close, I remain doubtful.

P.S. In Bermuda and Bahamas, we had great results and speed on either 3G and/or 4G HSPA+ connections at inexpensive pricing ... while at sea, one is a captive with no options on the cruise ship. Happy "hunting" for usable WiFi in the ports, that's free & secured.

The original article that was posted above is March 5, "2017" not 2018. I read and understood the "test and could". It never hurts to inquire if it ever came to fruition. That's what this forum is for. It's not available yet, or maybe never, and I won't be losing any sleep over it.

It seems Global Eagle has some major issues in Feb 2017 with the CEO and CFO.

Now they are in danger of being delisted!

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 16, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- On August 11, 2017, Global Eagle Entertainment Inc. (the “Company” or “we”) received a notification from the Listing Qualifications Department of The NASDAQ Stock Market LLC (“NASDAQ”) stating that the Company is in continued non-compliance with NASDAQ Listing Rule 5250©(1) because it has not yet filed its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended June 30, 2017 and remains delinquent in filing its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2016 and its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended March 31, 2017. The NASDAQ letter has no immediate effect on the listing of the Company’s common stock on The NASDAQ Capital Market.

The Company previously submitted to NASDAQ the Company’s plan to regain compliance with the NASDAQ Listing Rule. NASDAQ has accepted that plan and granted the Company until September 12, 2017 to regain compliance. After that date, the Company may appeal any delisting determination to a NASDAQ Hearings Panel before a delisting occurs.

RCCL has teamed up with O3B

http://www.rclcorporate.com/revolutionary-satellite-belt-brings-fiber-like-internet-service-to-largest-rcl-ships/

And it works really well, after being on the EPIC a few weeks ago, we have decided we will not do another TA without High Speed Internet Access. We are probably maybe a 5% group that uses a lot of internet.

Send a message on Facebook to NCL asking if it is available on the Getaway. I did this before my Escape sailing and they responded saying "Please note that the Wi-Fi Msg is still available on NCL Escape at a cost of $5 per day for messaging only."