Do you straighten up your stateroom before you leave?

flagger

DW makes bed (even tho steward changes it later) and hangs things up and tiddys up every morning and thru out the day.

I havent a clue why she does this on vacation but she is from Venus and I am from Mars.

I just dont care if the room is vaccumed everyday,,, when I am there alone and she is exercising I tell them not to vacuum and make that horrible loud noise. I dont go around with a white glove and inspect under and over the furniture.

Don

I'll be the first y'all are categorizing as "slobs" to reply here (if you don't count Rita who comes across as something of a "semi-slob".)

DH and DS are both notorious for leaving stuff - any stuff - wherever they last touched it. I learned a long time ago (after some time spent trying to correct this) just to live with it. We're probably one of those rooms y'all are horrified by!

We're not at all "dirty" - just messy. We clean up spills, don't leave toothpaste in the sink, etc. - just stuff, stuff everywhere. I do try to bring some order to the chaos before we leave the room in the morning, but it's still chaos - I admit it.

And yes, our cabin steward gets a very large tip because I realize we are NOT easy! I tell myself it's worth it to him to spend a few extra minutes in our room for the compensation he gets - I hope it's true!

I think one reason my wife spends time cleaning and hanging and straightening out is she has a place for everything. We use all the drawers and everything is suppose to be in a certain place.

The clothes are hung on hangers in some kind of order and there is a definite method/system to what she does. It works... But,, no where as anal as in the movie "Sleeping with the Enemy",, that man was way over the line with his system.

Me personally, if I was single I d need a maid everyday.

Thank G-D for women.

Don

ps. that movie with julia roberts was great...Patrick Bergin was crazed.

Hi, I am with TidePrideGA. I am not the neatest person in the world. I spend a lot of money on my cruises and don't want to waste the time (pro-rated) to do the cleaning. Messy only looks bad. What is worse is dirty.

Since I have better things to do with my time, I tip my cabin steward well. I send my dirty clothes to the ship's laundry as I won't waste that pro-rated time on washing my smalls.

Instead of being horrified by my messiness, I should be applauded for keeping the economy going.
Fran

I end up giving the tip to my wife for all her great work.

Am I suppose to tip the steward?? Hmmm,, I never thought about that.. LOL

The Celebrity Room Attendents do an outstanding job of maintaining the room and keeping things in tip top shape.

I have never encountered a problem with the room not being immaculate.

Of course,, upfront I ask to speak to the Asst Chief Housekeeper and have a little pow-wow session about my expectations and make it worth his while...

idssms

We usually wind up somewhere in the middle. Like idssms Don, left to my own devices at home, nothing gets put away. (DW finally got me to make the bed 15 years ago.) But when I travel, all the clothing gets put away and the bathroom is kept neat. (A defensive measure since space is so limited) And we'd like to have some space to share witht the rest of our stuff, too. So in this regard, we wind up being like most of you. :)

But here's where DW makes her departure. When she puts things away during the trip....you know....figuring out where they belong, where they belong actually moves around from day to day (out of sight, out of mind). And the paper!! You know how the daily activity sheets, excursion brochures and other papers begin to pile up?:( We have a tough time with those as the week goes on because they just get put on any horizontal surface available. And all the drink receipts!:eek: I have no idea why I save them. I know I'm not going to do an audit of the bill the see if we actually DID drink that much. Yet there they pile up. Just in case Celebrity forgets to send me a bill and I want to add it up myself...:confused: .
So we've got to be in the middle somewhere.

Rick Anne

When you mentioned the daily activitiy paper I have to chuckle.. If it wasnt for my wife I d never be able to find the thing during the day after it comes. I cant tell you how many times I want to reference something and DW can retreive it in a milli second.

Its great to keep all your stuff in one place just in case!!!

Don

[quote name='idssms']Rick Anne

When you mentioned the daily activitiy paper I have to chuckle.. If it wasnt for my wife I d never be able to find the thing during the day after it comes. I cant tell you how many times I want to reference something and DW can retreive it in a milli second.

Its great to keep all your stuff in one place just in case!!!

Don[/quote]
It's good to have DW along to help keep us organized.
:) :)
Rick

The only thing we don't do is make the bed. The used towels are left in a heap on the bathroom floor, all of our clothes are put away and all items of refuse are placed in the trash basket. I'm actually very anal when it comes to tidiness, so our room is always in very good shape.

Now that I think more on the subject, I know that I do much of the "neatening" of our cabin while Karen is getting ready. She gets ready to work out, she gets ready a second time to eat breakfast, she gets ready again to go ashore, she gets ready to go to the spa, she gets ready to eat dinner. I just kill time while she gets ready and that involves doing lots of things in the cabin.

Jim

I,m laughing so hard reading what people do after saving all year to go on vacation on a cruise ship... Its vacation people!!! No really, I have to stop my wife from cleaning up the cabin, if not we wouldn,t even need the maid.. MSC OPERA 2/11/06

My husband made me come and read this site. He thought I was the only one who cleaned up after myself on the ship. I always pick up and straigthen the bed before we leave the room. All of our stuff is neat and orderly. When we come back...the cabin steward has finished up. I am sorry, but on vacation or not...I still like to be clean and neat. It makes the time more enjoyable if everything is nice. I, too, saw some of the cabins on our deck...and wondered who in the world could live like that. Some people have no class at all. The rooms are so small, that to enjoy them, you really do have to keep things picked up.

We have had some of the bigger cabins which spreads out the stuff so it doesnt look so cluttered but my DW still spends an hour cleaning and picking up.

I used to have words with her that we are on vacation etc but she still does her thing.

I really think that cleaning stuff is in the chromosones. Men dont seem to care but women do.

On my next cruise I am going to preclude the room steward from coming in the room and just let my wife take care of things as is normal to her at home.

I ll give her my $1.00 per day standard tip normally given to the attendent...LOL

We just dont consider a crusie vacation since we now and for the past 1.5 yrs live on a lake in florida and are retired,, so everyday is a vacation to us!!!

idssms

After leaving things behind accidentally a few times on cruises, we have learned to keep things neat and organized. I lost an ivory colored top once, I had left in laid out on the bed, same color as the sheets, so it probably went into the laundry. We lost a CD case complete with several CDs, probably fell into the trash off of a cluttered counter top. I left behind a formal picture once, because they were stacked into the pile of daily newsletters and I always leave those behind.

So, we have learned to always pick up after ourselves, DH makes up the bed and we organize as we go. Not only do we keep better track of things, it makes re-packing easier, too.

We've reported all the items to the lost and found (diifferent ships), nothing was ever recovered.

Oh definitely yes - to a point. Usually don't make the bed but I do throw papers and other garbage into the can, place all the used towels into one spot and put away any personal effects so that the cabin looks somewhat presentable. After all we don't want the cleaning staff to think we're pigs! LOL! I know, its the old story of the people who clean their houses prior to the house cleaner arriving.

I also agree with the original poster about how some people do leave their rooms. I've seen hotel rooms that look like it was a barnyard and at rather fine establishments too.

Archived