Carnival Vista Highs and Lows from the eyes of TeamTrom

TeamTrom

Hello, TeamTrom checking in and I am going to give you my review of the Carnival Vista. My wife and I, along with my father and his girlfriend boarded this ship for a 6 Night Western Caribbean cruise on November 12th,2017. I am going to limit my review to the cruise only and not include ports of call.

This is our 5th cruise and while that is limited compared to a lot of cruisers, I feel as though I have been on a large enough variety to give a fair assessment based on my/our views. I want to start this thing off by saying that I had a great vacation/cruise. The way I see it is if I have a week on the ocean it is considerably better than at work but the ship in itself was disappointing.

I want to start off on a good note and say that the boarding process is extremely quick and smooth if you come prepared by having your online check in complete and documents in hand. I have never gone through security,checking in and boarding as quickly as we did for Vista. It might have a little to do with the port since we have never departed from Miami before.

The layout of the ship was not our favorite, particularly on decks 4 and 5, the Mezzanine and Promenade decks. Both had venues tucked away down a hallway or around a corner that without knowing, you might not realize it was ever there. For instance,finding the Sports Bar on deck four took going through a smaller corridor that only had artwork on the walls before coming to the bar. Also on the same deck I am realizing now, after looking at a deck map, that I never even saw Club O2 bar. On deck 5 if not by the chance that I walked on the exterior deck I may have never found the Guys Pig and Anchor BBQ stand (I’ll come back to this venue later). After being on other ships I feel like the layout was just notuser friendly. That’s not to say you can’t just find the deck map displays at each elevator, but Wifey and I enjoy just roaming the boat and this wasn’t nearly as easy as it was in the past.

Speaking about elevators, they were a disaster. Disaster might be a bit strong of a description but they really were time consuming and never seemed to work properly. Getting an elevator on the upper or lower most decks were difficult, often times you would watch elevators come close to your floor only to begin heading in the opposite direction. Additionally, once on an elevator it would stop at every floor, often times with no one waiting to get on. It took us till near the end of the cruise to figure out the reason why. Often there will be 4 or 6 elevators in one area and you press the button to request an elevator to take you upstairs. You will realize that only 2 of the elevators lights were lit up requesting for that elevator so you would walk around and hit the additional buttons so all 4 or 6 would stop at your floor so you wait the least amount of time. Great, now you get on the quickest elevator to come to you but only that elevator and its pair would no longer be lit and now the other 2 or 4 would still assume someone wants one. Instead of all being linked together per floor they were programmed separately and you should expect to stop at nearly every floor every time due to this.

There are two separate dining rooms on Carnival Vista and I don’t mean one large dining room with two floors being named differently because they are on different decks. They do have a room like that and for the purposes of this review I will call that “Main Dining Room”. But they have another less than stellar room. The other room, which of course was the room that we were assigned to, was anything but grand. A very casual theme with low ceilings.Took away from the experience. Food in the main dining room was a bit disappointing as well. There were rarely multiple attractive options, sometimes none that really caught our eye like on other cruises. And I ordered the Warming Chocolate Melting Cake each night… That seems like a good thing but that was because I literally did not enjoy any other options on any other night. I did not see any type of Apple or Cherry pie and no Peach or Blueberry Cobblers that I am so fond of.

The Fun Days Daily Planner was not as Fun as it has been on other ships. Wifey and I are active and really enjoy things on the sports deck or in the sports pool and there would be one activity or so a day so we never had a time where we could attend on. The planner was absolutely filled with Trivia which we will usually attend a few every cruise but didn’t make any because there was too many to choose from. This was a case where more was not better.

Let’s get back a positive and this is in a BIG way. Vista had the BEST free food options on board any ship I’ve been on. And I know what you’re thinking, he didn’t like the dining room. What I mean by that is the OTHER options that were free which were plentiful. For example, in the buffet there is the Deli, which has fantastic sandwiches.Buffalo Chicken Sandwich was our favorite. It had such a juicy and crispy chicken breast that kept us coming back for more. Both of Guy’s spots (Burger Joint and Pig and Anchor Bar) far exceeded any expectations. The burger and fries offered along with the toppings bar can challenge any burger anywhere as a more delicious burger. Juicy and delicious, fires were perfectly cooked, mhmmm. Very good comparison would be Five Guys for those lucky enough to have one near by their home, but It was free on board and I prefer free. Too bad it closed at 5pm every day. Pig and Anchor was delicious. Meat was tender and BBQ sauce was very tasty. The big problem with this place is it was only opened from noon to 230pm and it didn’t even open every day. I don’t understand that. Everyone was asking about the food the two times I got food luckily just before closing and I had to sadly inform each one that it had already closed…. Before 3pm. Blue Iguana Cantina had breakfast and lunch burritos along with tacos. All were very good with fresh ingredients and an amazing salsa bar. Can’t believe that was free. Two of the specialty restaurants, Cucina Del Capitano(Italian) and JiJi Asian Kitchen had free lunch options that were delicious as well. The noodle bowl I ordered was just what I wanted that day, just know that closes early as well and it can be busy. Free room service at any hour unlike Royal that only offers it free before a certain hour. The pizza wasn’t as good as we remembered but it is nice to have a 24-hour option. There were a lot of other options for small fees like Bonsai Sushi which was incredible, try the spicy tuna roll, and the snack foods at Red Frog Pub that for a very small upcharge are well worth the price. My mouth is watering just thinking about this food.

Two more things that did not go well for us on this ship was the “Souvenir” cup and the hot tubs. Plain and simple, the hot tubs were not “hot” enough. I say hot but in actuality they were warm. I have been in hot tubs that were extremely hot, like far too hot that we have had to complain about them and I believe Carnival has taken similar complaints from its guests too far and made all of their hot tubs warm. They were not favorable for any guest that we talked to and it was on every hot tub.The “Souvenir” cup that we purchased on day one from the Red Frog Rum Bar had an advertisement that promised that if you buy this cup, any refills throughout this cruise will be made to fill this cup(16oz) instead of the standard size of12oz at the same price and two bartenders at the bar also said that all bars would honor this. Problem with this was none of the other bars seemed to have any clue about this deal and the standard drinks ordered were the same size as the souvenir cup. We fell for the scam. And to top it off the menu had the cup priced at an amount (I’m sorry, I cannot recall the price. It was between $14 and $18) and when they bill your card and hand you the receipt you will see they charge you an additional $3 for the lid that they force you to buy, which was not listed on the menu.

There is far more that I can write but most of it would be as expected because I put together the information based on exceeding or not exceeding expectations. Don’t get me wrong we loved our vacation and I wouldn’t suggest anyone to cancel a vacation already booked on Vista but if asked my opinion prior to booking I would let them know how I feel about certain things. Overall I give the ship a 3 out of 5.

Interesting perspective. I was on the Vista 8 day cruise beginning after you disembarked and really did not run into the concerns you stated other than elevators....which are predominantly slow on all ships. No need to even take them on port days...always a disaster. After a day or two you realize your best option is to take the elevators at the back of ship (AFT). Always uncrowded during day....Really only more busy at Dinner since that bank of elevators is near Horizon Dining Room. Also...you are correct in that the activity options are a "bit lighter" than in the past. I recall wine tasting and cooking options on previous cruises....but have never been a big activity person so it really didn't stand out until I read your review.

Couple of corrections to your review. There is no bar for Club O2.... That is the Teen club and hangout for 15-17 year olds. Also Guy's is open until 6pm daily. Lastly while I agree it would be nice for Pig and Anchor to be open past 2:30....Thats when most of the other lunch venues shut down. However...Pig and Anchor was open 5 of the 8 days (embarkation day, 3 sea days and 1 port day)...including the day we stopped at Grand Turk. When I cruised on the Breeze ....only open 3 of the 7 days we cruised. Thanks for your perspective...taking me forever to finish my review from last week!!

Edited by lcpagejr

Thanks for your review. I have noticed a downhill slide in the MDR my last two cruises, both in selections and quality.

Glad you found other options. I have eaten from the deli a couple of times, but in the main choose not to stand in line and then carry my own food and drink while searching for a clean table.

I will sure miss the Breeze when she leaves Galveston.

Happy sailing.

I was second guessing myself about Guys Burgers being open til 5 or 6 because I was doing it off of memory but you are correct. I assumed Club 02 was a bar based on its name, lol kind of help proves my point that I never even saw it since I didn't know that part. I wish the Pig and Anchor stayed opened til 5 or 6 like the Burgers did, I definitely would've had a chance to enjoy it more.

Interesting perspective. I was on the Vista 8 day cruise beginning after you disembarked and really did not run into the concerns you stated other than elevators....which are predominantly slow on all ships. No need to even take them on port days...always a disaster. After a day or two you realize your best option is to take the elevators at the back of ship (AFT). Always uncrowded during day....Really only more busy at Dinner since that bank of elevators is near Horizon Dining Room. Also...you are correct in that the activity options are a "bit lighter" than in the past. I recall wine tasting and cooking options on previous cruises....but have never been a big activity person so it really didn't stand out until I read your review.

Couple of corrections to your review. There is no bar for Club O2.... That is the Teen club and hangout for 15-17 year olds. Also Guy's is open until 6pm daily. Lastly while I agree it would be nice for Pig and Anchor to be open past 2:30....Thats when most of the other lunch venues shut down. However...Pig and Anchor was open 5 of the 8 days (embarkation day, 3 sea days and 1 port day)...including the day we stopped at Grand Turk. When I cruised on the Breeze ....only open 3 of the 7 days we cruised. Thanks for your perspective...taking me forever to finish my review from last week!!

Deli line surprisingly was short and moved quickly for us so we went back a few times, mostly just to get a quick bite actually. We really enjoyed the other options, kind of made our vacation lol

Thanks for your review. I have noticed a downhill slide in the MDR my last two cruises, both in selections and quality.

Glad you found other options. I have eaten from the deli a couple of times, but in the main choose not to stand in line and then carry my own food and drink while searching for a clean table.

I will sure miss the Breeze when she leaves Galveston.

Happy sailing.

Very good in fact, thanks for reading

Thanks for the extensive report. At least the alternative food venues were enjoyable!

Thanks for reading. I agree, unless the deal or itinerary is just right I don't expect to be back on the ship. Maybe after I get a few dozen under my belt and just looking for another cruise lol

Thank for the review and we will not be back on the Vista or the new Horizon.

Deli line surprisingly was short and moved quickly for us so we went back a few times, mostly just to get a quick bite actually. We really enjoyed the other options, kind of made our vacation lol

Very good in fact, thanks for reading

Thanks for your review. Can you confirm if the deli sandwiches were pre made?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Some were completely pre made, just throw in their "toaster" oven and they are ready. Others needed assembled and put in the "toaster". If you request it a certain way they will go back in the kitchen and make it to your liking!

Thanks for your review. Can you confirm if the deli sandwiches were pre made?

I'm sorry that our opinions are similar...

On to a different topic, we will be going on symphony just before you for a European sailing. I imagine based on your previous cruises, and my previous sailing on Oasis, that we will have a different opinion of that ship!!! 😀

Thanks for the review! I totally agree. The Vista MDR service & food quality has gone downhill. The interior layout of the public decks was very disappointing. No Horizon on my horizon.

Some were completely pre made, just throw in their "toaster" oven and they are ready. Others needed assembled and put in the "toaster". If you request it a certain way they will go back in the kitchen and make it to your liking!
Thank you! Glad they can customize as I can't eat some of the ingredients.

Hi there! TeamTrom Wifey here :)

I did find myself comparing this ship to Oasis-- a lot. Maybe an unfair expectation. Oasis had those huge, fantastic, open areas to walk through mid ship that connect the front from the back, both the promenade and Central Park, it was always very easy to find what we were looking for with those clearly distinguished "neighborhoods" that also had such great atmosphere and so much to look at.

There were times on Vista where we'd go down to the right floor, see nothing but stairs, elevators and walls and were like "Uh, so where do we go now? It says ____ is on this floor" then we'd have to peak down a corridor to see if that actually leads somewhere to find our way.

And those elevators... dude, I'm sorry but that was not just normal elevator slowness. This one isn't us comparing to Oasis, this was comparing to every elevator I've ever stepped in ever. Let me try to illustrate the issue here

*Gets on elevator at floor 2* We press deck 10 (where nearly all the food is)

*Elevator stops at floor 3* No one is there. *doors close*

*elevator stops at floor 4* No on is there. Doors close

*Elevator stops floor 5* No one is there. Doors close

*Elevator stops at floor 6* *No one is there* Doors close

*Elevator stops at floor 7* No on is there.

Arrives at deck ten (it didn't usually stop on decks 8 and 9 for whatever reason)

I'm telling you this was 75% of the time on those elevators (our rooms were at the front of the ship, so those were the elevators we used 90% of the time. Using that back elevators made very little sense). Sometimes there were more people, and those stops at least made some sense. But WAY too often there was no one there. It was honestly MADDENING.

I'm sorry that our opinions are similar...

On to a different topic, we will be going on symphony just before you for a European sailing. I imagine based on your previous cruises, and my previous sailing on Oasis, that we will have a different opinion of that ship!!! 😀

Yeees! I'm so excited to be back on Oasis class, and this time on a BRAND NEW ship (Oasis was a few years old by the time we sailed with her). Only disappointed that they don't have Giovanni's on Harmony. That was our best restaurant experience ever. Though I'm actually wondering how much we'll experience the ship with so many long port days at amazing locations!... but I guess there are worse problems to have

I'm curious about the elevators that you described, the forward elevators. You indicated that you pressed a button in the elevator to indicate Deck 10. :confused:

Unless they've taken their new elevator call system out, the forward elevators on Vista use call-pads in the elevator lobbies where you press the deck you want to go to, and the system assigns you an elevator car -- each doorway has a letter, so you might hear, say, "Car V" -- and sends it to you. There were no accessible floor buttons in the elevator cars.

It was that way in mid-October, so I'm wondering if they're still using that system.

The new system was nifty, but it took some getting used to.

I'm curious about the elevators that you described, the forward elevators. You indicated that you pressed a button in the elevator to indicate Deck 10. :confused:

Unless they've taken their new elevator call system out, the forward elevators on Vista use call-pads in the elevator lobbies where you press the deck you want to go to, and the system assigns you an elevator car -- each doorway has a letter, so you might hear, say, "Car V" -- and sends it to you. There were no accessible floor buttons in the elevator cars.

It was that way in mid-October, so I'm wondering if they're still using that system.

The new system was nifty, but it took some getting used to.

These were just regular evelators. Just a button you press to call the elevator, get in and select the floor. I was wondering, because I had heard about the "express" elevators but never saw them.

These were just regular evelators. Just a button you press to call the elevator, get in and select the floor. I was wondering, because I had heard about the "express" elevators but never saw them.

I was on the Vista Thanksgiving week and looked for the new system and did not see it. Only saw the regular up/down buttons at each bank of elevators....They may have removed

Oh, wow. I'm surprised because it looked like a significant investment: the call-pads, the flat-panel monitors in the public-deck elevator lobbies to indicate the car(s) and decks assigned. I can totally understand the reason for the new system -- only one elevator goes all the way to the top and only two elevators cover the top two decks, or Decks 1 and 2 -- so I guess now it's catch as catch can if you want to go up to, say, Serenity Deck. :o