Review of Sloth Sanctuary

AmyinGA

We were in Costa Rica on March 30 and took the Sloth Sanctuary and Canoe Tour offered through Princess. This was a fantastic tour. We met our tour guide, Gloriana, and were off for a short ride to the Sanctuary. Gloriana was a great tour guide--the best that we hvae ever had. Her knowledge of her country and the wildlife was outstanding. We learned so much from her. When we arrived our tour started with a guided canoe trip through a canal on the property. We saw many different plants, birds and even monkeys swinging in the trees. We could hear other monkeys in the distance. After that we got in introduction to the sloths and the programs run at the sanctuary. They showed us two videos and then we got to meet Buttercup. She is the first sloth that was taken in by the owners. We also got see many of the baby sloths that are there--some were only a few months old. There was plenty of time to take pictues and ask questions. We then were treated to a fresh fruit buffet and a drink. It was a nice way to relax and look out over the property. From there we took a nature walk on one of the trails. Gloriana continued to tell us more about all of the incredible plants, trees and vines all around us. Normally I would find information about plant life as interesting as watching paint dry, but Gloriana added such interesting facts that I wanted to learn more. After the walk we headed back to the bus. We stopped at a resort hotel to see some of the souvenirs. Our driver stopped a few times to get samples from banana tress, sugar cane and other plants used for spices and coloring. This was a great half day trip and I would suggest this excursion for any age group.

We did the same trip in February and for me it was the highlight of the whole cruise - I just loved Costa Rica. I did originally think that $99 was a bit pricey, but it was worth every penny and was so informative. I agree with everying you say Amy, it was wonderful and suitable for all.

Island Princes, February 2004

Goldent Princess, June 2002

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We did the Sloth Sanctuary on our own it has to be one of the best and most rewarding excursions we have ever done.

The babies were adorable and what they are doing to help the Sloths is wonderful.

We also had the most delicious lunch while we were there.

I would highly recommend this stop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Would this tour be good with kids? We are on the Summit in December and we have a seven and 5 year old. Also, is this tour offered in the morning or afternoon? We are looking for a morning tour. We are here on New Years Eve and need some relaxation time in the late afternoon to get ready a late night of partying. Thanks for any input you can give.

The Sloth Sanctuary is outside of Limon, to answer toban1's question.

Did not go here ourselves but we spent the day with Oscar and I know he can take people there for a heck of a lot less than $99pp. It's really nice to have someone waiting for you at the dock with your name on a sign and a smile on his face, cold drinks in a cooler, ready to take you wherever you want.

To answer toban1's other question, Puntarenas is a LONG way from Limon, a drive of a couple of hours I think.

Flycatcher06......Oscar can get you to both places.

Archived