Any bad effects from handling monkeys, sloths or parrots?

janice2348

We are still debating Maya Key or Daniel Johnson’s but I have a few misgivings. Can anyone here who has handled monkeys, sloths or parrots at these two locations answer a few questions?

We’re you ever bitten or scratched? If so, did you need any kind of treatment?

Did you notice any fleas?

Did the animals look healthy and well cared for? Did you get the feeling they were being mistreated or exploited?

Did you put anything on a customs form about handling wild animals? If so, were you questioned?

Based on experience, did you feel comfortable handling these animals? Would you do it again?

Thank you so much for your input!

We are still debating Maya Key or Daniel Johnson’s but I have a few misgivings. Can anyone here who has handled monkeys, sloths or parrots at these two locations answer a few questions?

Did the animals look healthy and well cared for? Did you get the feeling they were being mistreated or exploited?

Did you put anything on a customs form about handling wild animals? If so, were you questioned?

Based on experience, did you feel comfortable handling these animals? Would you do it again?

There is the not leaving Wildlife Alone and announcing it on a travel board. That's one bad effect.

• 1 month later...

This past October we were in Roatan and visited Victor Bodden's monkey and sloth refuge. Also there were parrots, mccaws and deer. All the animals are rescue animals. Our guide was knowledgeable and very wise. All of the animals were clean, healthy, well behaved and flea free. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

This goes back a few years, but one of the monkeys got loose when we were there and jumped onto my shoulder. The guide told me to grab him by the tail- I didn’t, he did, and the monkey bit him hard enough to draw blood. We still went through the place and took pictures with the monkeys, but I didn’t let the kids put their hands near them. Probably just a bad experience, but being cautious is important.

The places that we have handled monkeys etc were well run rescues. Clean, well done all around. Never been bitten or scratched, but I limit myself to the youngest monkeys and know how to handle parrots because I have companion parrots at home. Never encountered fleas or mites. The customs form asks if you have been in close proximity to livestock, so that doesnt apply to these tourist attractions.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...