Question regarding luggage requirements???

decemberbride

I'm so confused. My fiance and I will be flying out of Tallahassee, Fl to Miami, Fl this Sunday. I was reading on Delta's website which says that we're not allowed to bring more than 62" checked baggage (L+H+W). This doesn't make sense to me. What does this mean? H=20, L=20=, W=20 (approximately).

Second question...when they refer to checked baggage, do they mean suitcases/luggage that they have to scan to put underneath the plane?

As you can see we don't travel much :). I'm sorry if these questions are silly, but hopefully one day I'll become an experienced traveler.

No questions are silly. It's the only way to learn.

You would measure a bag by height and add that number to the width and add that to the depth. The largest bag allowed will add up to no more than 62" and weigh no more than 50 pounds. We have a very large bag which is called a 30" bag. It measures 30 high by 20 wide by 12 deep so it meets the airline criteria. However, a bag of that size is quite large and tends to go over the weight maximum of 50 lbs. We have switched to using 26" and 24" bags that will weigh less when full. I hope this helps. Did I explain it o.k.??

Colette

p.s. Congratulations on your wedding!!! Cheers!

When they say checked luggage they do mean luggage to go underneath the airplane. Dont worry your suitcase will meet the measurements. Now the weight might be a problem. But between you and your fiance you will be allowed to check 4 bags (underneath the plane) and each will be allowed 2 carryon pieces such as a purse or backpack or computer bag or just 2 small bags that will fit into the overhead of the airplane. If you guys dont have 4 pieces of luggage together just carry and extra duffle bag that can easy fold into your suitcase in case you are over the weight limit and you can just remove some items and put into the other bag and check that one as well.

Sweetnlow2005

Archived