LAX to Vision of the Seas

kgraham56

I know this question gets asked way too much, but this is the first time we have tried to sail from LA. Right now we are just getting final plans together fro the Jan 22, 2006 sailing and need to make final plans on coming down early (i.e. hotel then shuttle) or day of (best shuttle/tour). There are 4 adults (2 couples - no kids), so any helpful hints, dos and don'ts are welcome.

I tried finding previous posts, but 500 pages of posts has left me bewildered and blind.

TIA,

ken

We sailed the Vision this past March (2 couples) and thoroughly enjoyed both the ship and the itinerary. We also flew in a day early and stayed overnight in a hotel. My DW had Marriott points (and we wanted to stay somewhere other than San Pedro) so our strategy was this: picked up an Avis ($35 for the day corporate rate) rental at LAX on Saturday, stayed overnight in nearby Redondo Beach, dropped, dropped luggage and wives off at San Pedro/ship, dropped car off at the downtown Long Beach Avis office (no drop charge), taxied back to San Pedro (approx $20 including tip). This strategy worked great for us because we had use of the car on Saturday and in total cost the same or less than the one-way shuttle price for the 4 of us to go from LAX directly to San Pedro. We took the Super Shuttle from San Pedro back to LAX at end of cruise (believe it was approx. $35 per couple).

Others have posted this same rental car strategy using Enterprise, I believe that Enterprise has an office nearby the port and offers free shuttle service which would save you the taxi.

Good luck with plans, you will really enjoy this cruise.

If you are getting in late just stay in San Padro. There is a seaport village there for things you maight need before going on the ship. You can catch Super shuttles to San Padro right from the Airport without a ressie but you will need one to go back.

HI, we sailed this same sailing last year. We flew into LAX rented a car (much easier than I thought) and then stayed in Long Beach at the Westin. We got a really good deal on that a year ago so you might beable to as well. The Hotel is gorgeous. Directly across the street is an aquarium, down the road are dinner places and clubs. Around the corner we found a street fair with items for sale and live music. Directly behind the aquarium across the water is the Queen Mary who is dry docked and is now a hotel. You can eat and even stay there, very much worth the time. Long Beach is close to everything. We drove to Anahaim and Disney and it took about a half hour. We were also able to travel to LA and drive along Rodeo drive and the such and that to was about a half hour away. The hotel offers a drop off spot so that you can leave your rental there. Then a shuttle picked us up and delivered us to our pier in SAN PEDRO. I love this cruise by far my favorite ports to date.

We booked ahead of time with super shuttle as well.

However, if your flight leaves LA after 4pm you may want to do the excursion in LA, which we did. You can book it on board at the Shore Excursions Desk. After you disembark you get on a giant tour bus which stores your luggage down below. You will tour LA and make a few stops. It will drop you off at the airport at the end of your tour. We enjoyed it and it sure beat sitting in the airport all day long. It was $37 per person but book early as it filled up quickly.

We booked ahead of time with super shuttle as well.

However, if your flight leaves LA after 4pm you may want to do the excursion in LA, which we did. You can book it on board at the Shore Excursions Desk. After you disembark you get on a giant tour bus which stores your luggage down below. You will tour LA and make a few stops. It will drop you off at the airport at the end of your tour. We enjoyed it and it sure beat sitting in the airport all day long. It was $37 per person but book early as it filled up quickly.

just wanted to mention we are on the ship at the same time as you :D

however, we are flying in the day before and staying at the Westin. Also, we are using the cruise ship transfers...i don't know if that's such a good idea just by reading other people's posts, but this is our first cruise so we will know better next time ;)

Thanks everybody! Our plans are somewhat fluid as I work for an airline and we will be flying in on whatever flight we can get. So we will probably grab a hotel near the airport and take one of the shuttles.

We are tentatively planning on going out Saturday and going straight to the airport when we get in on Sunday, so being able to go without a reservation is very appealing. We always reserve for going home.

Thanks again for the info and especially the web links. Wishing everyone smooth water and sunny weather. You guys (and gals) are the best.

ken

Archived